OpenRocket and the thrust-to-weight ratio

Discussion in 'Rocketry Electronics and Software' started by Funkworks, Sep 2, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Sep 2, 2019 #1

Funkworks

Funkworks

Funkworks

I’ve been relying on OpenRocket for flight safety, but I realized just last weekend that it doesn’t display the thrust-to-weight ratio, and it doesn’t flag the simulation if the value is less than 5:1 (or 4:1, or 3:1).

So to ensure safety, can I rely on OpenRocket, or should I calculate the T-to-W ratio independently?

I have a few low- and mid-power systems (<1 kg and <600 ft) that would like to fly near a 4:1 ratio, or 12 m/s off the pad, which is fine according to OR, but now I understand RSO's may not approve of them.

2. Sep 3, 2019 #2

Voyager1

Voyager1

Voyager1

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

OpenRocket does display T/W ratio, but you need to generate the simulation summary sheet PDF to see it.

File > Print/Export PDF > Then select Design Report

A PDF is generated showing all the critical simulation parameters, including T/W on the top line over on the right.

Funkworks likes this.
  3. Sep 3, 2019 #3

SpaceManMat

SpaceManMat

SpaceManMat

Space Nut

Thrust to Weight ratio is a simple “rule of thumb” method for determining in the field if a safe launch speed will be achieved.
    When you go to the bother of actually doing a simulation you should use the simulated speed to determine if the launch will be safe.

ihbarddx, Funkworks and Buckeye like this.
  4. Sep 3, 2019 #4

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

OR will not tell you if the flight is fine or not. It will simulate 1 m/s off the pad just fine and not raise any warnings.

50 ft/s or 15 m/s off the rail (no wind) usually is enough speed for the fins to be effective and stabilize the rocket.

Funkworks likes this.
  5. Sep 3, 2019 #5

Funkworks

Funkworks

Funkworks

Yes, this resolves my issue.

I agree, but the local RSO's want to know the T:W ratio as a (standardized) condition for launch.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  6. Sep 3, 2019 #6

ihbarddx

ihbarddx

ihbarddx

I agree with this in principle; however, when a vertical launch is at stake, I would advise also simulating a 10 degree off-vertical launch to make sure you have some leeway in the design. If the trajectory degrades of powerprangs you have some design work to do.

7. Sep 4, 2019 #7

UhClem

UhClem

UhClem

The NFPA 1127 requirement (4.9.1) is based on rocket liftoff weight and certified average thrust. No simulation required. Just make sure the ratio is greater than 3/1. But you are going to need a long rail to reach a safe velocity with a 2G liftoff.

Steve Shannon and Funkworks like this.
  8. Sep 4, 2019 #8

Nytrunner

Nytrunner

Nytrunner

Master of Rivets

I've always dislike the 3:1 rule. It ignores progressive motors that build up thrust and overly restricts hardhitters or dual-thrust motors that have large thrust events at the beginning of burn.

Titan II likes this.
  9. Sep 8, 2019 #9

ihbarddx

ihbarddx

ihbarddx

In summary, if you just want to get past the RSO, you need F/T and you don't need a simulation. If you want a successful flight, OTOH, you need a simulation, and you still have to get past the RSO :)