OpenRocket a viable alternative to RockSim?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Simple question: Is OpenRocket a *real* alternative to RockSim? What do y'all think?

Would you use OpenRocket or stick with RockSim? What are the decisive factors for you in choosing to switch or stay?

I am interested in getting opinions from as many people as possible...

Thanks,
Craig (ColdRolledSteel)

This depends entirely on what you want to do. For simulations of more-or-less traditional rockets in the subsonic realm, OpenRocket is a 100% viable alternative to RockSim. If you are planning to go supersonic, the combination of OpenRocket and RASAero can work very well.

OpenRocket has only a fraction of the features of RockSim, but it provides pretty much everything most users need for most rockets.

Kerry Quinn did a great NARCON presentation comparing OpenRocket,
RockSIM, and wRASP.

https://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org/myframes/reports.htm

I use OR *and* RS (along with RAS Aero, wRASP, WinRoc & AeroLab)
Each has it's purpose.

If you're on budget, then yes OR is a viable alternative to RS. If you're
not cash constrained, then OR still is a great tool to have in your box. There's
really no reason not to learn/use both.

Last edited:
I use OpenRocket and I think it's great. I did try the 30 day trial of RocSim too.

The reason I'm using OpenRocket is cost. I don't think RocSim is too expensive, I just have other priorities, and OpenRocket meets all my needs right now.

Before I knew Open Rocket existed I asked for RockSim as a gift. I didn't think it would actually happen but I did get it... :cheers:

I really like using it, I haven't found it difficult to use at all. I don't think I've fully explored all it's features yet it does have quite a few.

I haven't heard anything bad about Open Rocket so this isn't an anti recomendation by any means.

I use OpenRocket and I think it's great. I did try the 30 day trial of RocSim too.

The reason I'm using OpenRocket is cost. I don't think RocSim is too expensive, I just have other priorities, and OpenRocket meets all my needs right now.

+1
I am using OpenRocket for the exact same reasons and I'm very happy with it. It tells me what I need to know. I fly rocket kits on L1 motors.
-Chuck

I use a MAC and an running Rocksim version 9. LOVE IT! As for comparisons, I'm not so good because I've looked very briefly at open rocket. One feature of Rocksim I really like is the ability to scale

Mac & OpenRocket

I did my L1 crayon in OpenRocket, because I cannot justify $120 for software to design rockets.

G.D.

One other plus to OpenRocket is that it will also run on any version of Linux.
Rocksim only runs on Windows or Mac.

I have it downloaded but haven't used it. It stated it needed a different version of Java that I do not have. Easy enough to download but will it mess up my other Java Script? I'm running Firefox.

Despite the similar name, Java and Javascript are two different things. The Java JRE needed for OpenRocket doesn't depend on the Javascript engine in your browser and vice versa. You can install the latest version of Java without ill effects. *)

Reinhard

*) No guarantee. Software is great in malfunctioning in unexpected ways, even those that shouldn't be possible at all. ;)

Last edited:
One other plus to OpenRocket is that it will also run on any version of Linux.
Rocksim only runs on Windows or Mac.

Rocksim should run under VirtualBox on Linux. It *may* run under Wine. The Mac version installs some evil licensing software, so I run the Windows version in a virtual Windows machine hosted on my Mac. From what I hear, the Windows version is more stable anyways.

But my previous comment stands. OpenRocket is likely sufficient for the needs of most people. Give OpenRocket a spin, and if you discover that it does not do something you need, then go with RockSim.

I have it downloaded but haven't used it. It stated it needed a different version of Java that I do not have. Easy enough to download but will it mess up my other Java Script? I'm running Firefox.

The only thing in common between Java and JavaScript are the letters J, A and V. They are *completely* different animals otherwise. This is an unfortunate casualty of the Great DotCom Gold Rush of the mid-late '90s.

*) No guarantee. Software is great in malfunctioning in unexpected ways, even those that shouldn't be possible at all. ;)

This will have nothing to do with the original question in this thread but the comment above is TOO true in my case to not comment on.

Try combining Microsloth Win Vist@ with a program I use at my church called Medi@ Sh0ut. After about a month you'll have Ghostbusters on speed dial and they won't answer you any more.:dark:

Back