Open Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven88

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello. I received the RockSim design file for my Big Nuke 3E from Loc. I have it downloaded in Open Rocket currently. At the bottom of the rocket design screen it says Warning: Discontinuity in rocket body diameter. I can’t tell that anything is out of whack. Is anyone able to help with the matter?

Set either the NC or the BT ( but not both! ) to "auto" if you just want it to go away.

Usually the cause is a stray fraction of an inch which is truncated or rounded on display.
+1
That usually fixes this issue. If it doesn't, just post your sim file for folks to review, if you wish.

When you install the motor into the bottom of the rocket on Open Rocket, and you choose a reloadable motor such as an Aerotech k560, does Open Rocket take into account the casing and closure weight to house the propellant, or must I add it in?

Ok. Before I commit to gluing tiny fins on this long rocket, is it really going to be stable?

You've created a Super-roc. Length/Diam is greater than 20. The normal "1 body diameter" rule is not good here, and with such a long skinny rocket, the CP will shift much more drastically as the rocket stabilizes in flight.

I design rockets so the CP-CG distance stays within 8-15% of rocket length during flight (and aim for 12% static margin).

You're right around 13% static margin which is good (despite having almost 6 "calibers"). Do a stability plot in the simulation (with windspeed ~5mph) and look at how the margin changes throughout the flight. This is a good learning example

First of all I've never used OR in this capacity, it is quite interesting. My take is that the rocket is becomes unstable between 5 seconds and the apogee and then again around the 8 - 9 second mark. I will make the fins bigger and run some more simulations. I've had enough experience with rockets to think the design failed the smell test. Thank you for turning this into a good learning example.

2020-04-26 (2).png

Yep, thats almost 1 ft of CP swing. That's a bit much even for a long model like this.

Use the preset plot config for Stability vs Time, and try to get it so Stability calibers doesn't drop below 3.5

1587926264208.png

Attachments

• 1587926236821.png
    1587926236821.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 3
Back