Open Rocket Usage Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see. So, I have been double-counting the effective launch length: once by me in the simulation edit, and then again by OR without my knowledge. Hmm, no wonder OR gives me pessimistic stability results.

Just thought I'd encourage the OP. Here is a picture of my son with a 2.6 inch DX3. It's a great rocket and it flies easily on F and G motors without a FAA waiver. If the logistics of flying with a waiver are too complex, I highly recommend the DX3. (The best way to navigate the legal stuff is to launch with a club. Let them manage the logistics for you!)

1v2e8bmKRD+ksC9o6eJRQA.jpg

Just thought I'd encourage the OP. Here is a picture of my son with a 2.6 inch DX3. It's a great rocket and it flies easily on F and G motors without a FAA waiver. If the logistics of flying with a waiver are too complex, I highly recommend the DX3. (The best way to navigate the legal stuff is to launch with a club. Let them manage the logistics for you!)

View attachment 368996

Wow - great looking rocket! How did you paint your rocket? Airbrush or ? I just ordered the 2.6" DX3, it appears to be one of the better rockets out there for beginners. I'll probably build the 4" Dx4 for my level one . . .

Thanks for the encouragements!

Mark

It was Stickershock23. My son earned the decal with good grades on his report card last year.

It’s one of a gazillion calculations OR does on your behalf every time you ask it to do a simulation. Happens automatically - that is you get no say in it.
Are you sure about that? I have been playing with rail button placement since you made that statement & I see no difference in velocity off the rail no matter where I place my forward rail button.

Are you sure about that? I have been playing with rail button placement since you made that statement & I see no difference in velocity off the rail no matter where I place my forward rail button.

Agreed. No change in stability margin nor departure speed. I even have wind in the simulation and a slow burn motor to try to exaggerate the effect.

Interesting. Of course it’s posible that there’s a bug in it, I’ll have to try debugging it and see what’s going on.

Apologies for the delay, it’s been busy and I’ve not been well. I do have an answer for you about the launch rail length. Although OR does calculate the effective launch rod length during the simulation it does not actually use this value anywhere also the calculation is not quite how I described it and there are common scenarios where it does not work which may possibly be why it is not used. I was able to modify the code to work as originally intended. I think I’ll start a new thread about this and find out what people think as it’s a bit off topic.

So yes you should enter the the effective launch rod length in the simulation options not the actual length.

Please do start a new thread regarding the compensation of effective rail length. I’d use it.

Back