Open Rocket software tail cone to fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justforfun

TRA 684, L-3
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I use Rocksim, but thought I'd try Open Rocket.

I can't seem to figure out how to get the fin to tail cone to intersect. The fin root seems to go straight back over the receding tail cone shape, not following the tail cone surface. I can't seem to get the fin root to attach to the motor tube.

I'm guessing, I'm missing something simple.

Thanks

Roy

Attachments

• Cert36 short.ork
    2.1 KB · Views: 4
This feature doesn't exist as such in the current edition. There are various workarounds for visuals, but the sim results aren't especially trustworthy.

This feature doesn't exist as such in the current edition. There are various workarounds for visuals, but the sim results aren't especially trustworthy.
The word trustworthy, does that mean the sim is off in what way, due to the mis match of the fin to the tail cone. The projected altitude, Rocksim to what I got from Open Rocket isn't a great amount. My Rocksim file is more detailed (more assembly parts, tracker, altimeters, etc.), verses my first try at Open Rocket.

Thanks for you response.

Roy

Most common workaround hack is to add a zero-length BT behind the tail cone, and attach the fins to that. I don't believe it really makes that much different to the sim results, but I haven't done any sort of detailed analysis.

Forthcoming OR release will support fins on nose cones and transitions.

Back