Open Rocket - Side Mounted Boosters Possible?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
Reaction score
I know what the rocket looks like (built it) but I can't figure out how to get the 3 side-mounted boosters in openrocketopenrocket.jpgIMG_8415.JPG so I can run a sim. Is it even possible?

Thank you in advance
Michael

At the back of the rocket add a large diameter thin wall tube ( 12 inch OD 1.9999 ID ) made out of light weight material . Then add three inside tubes spaced properly to fool the sum.

1603992282513.png
Under the Rocket Design tab you can add more inner tubes. Once there click motor mount under the Motor tab and use the Radial Position & Distance tabs to move tubes to the side of the booster tube.
IMG_3146.jpg

Mr G said:
Under the Rocket Design tab you can add more inner tubes. Once there click motor mount under the Motor tab and use the Radial Position & Distance tabs to move tubes to the side of the booster tube.
Note that the side pods are not factored into either CP or drag calculations, so it's not an accurate sim.

At the back of the rocket add a large diameter thin wall tube ( 12 inch OD 1.9999 ID ) made out of light weight material . Then add three inside tubes spaced properly to fool the sum.
That will also not sim accurately.

Bottom line is: you can certainly simulate a 3-in-line cluster, and use internal tubes in one way or another to put them where the boosters would be, but you are not getting an accurate CP or drag simulation. Take your resulting numbers with a huge chunk of rock salt.

Perhaps make the phantom tube very short, and see whether that makes a difference in altitude sims. That might also make minimal impact on Cp calculations.

Note that the side pods are not factored into either CP or drag calculations, so it's not an accurate sim.

That will also not sim accurately.

Bottom line is: you can certainly simulate a 3-in-line cluster, and use internal tubes in one way or another to put them where the boosters would be, but you are not getting an accurate CP or drag simulation. Take your resulting numbers with a huge chunk of rock salt.

And my crucial need is in the CP calculation

And my crucial need is in the CP calculation
If you send me the file you have now, and the details of what needs to be changed or added, I'll enter it into the new version and see what it spits out. Would be very interested to compare it to whatever Rocksim comes up with.

I suppose accuracy in my case isn't a big problem, ballpark is ok by me. Speaking of + or - 10% of final altitude. But I do like to see a change in CP.
I've been debating a Rocksim purchase seeing that it does pods with fins and noses attached and also ring fins. I've got a Hydra 7 and some other similar designs but the price is a bit steep.
This is to say, I don't want to put down OR, it's an awesome program but I like my oddrocs so it only sims about half of my fleet.

That will be supported in the next release; you can't do it on the existing release (15.03).

Wow, threats of a good time! Looking forward to this! I got a hand full of Stripper dollars ready to make it rain!

Ring and tube fins, too?

Back