Quantcast

Open Rocket/Rocsim file depository

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
I know we have a plans forum, but that is mostly for original and scratchbuilt designs. I was thinking an Open Rocket/Rocsim file depository subforum would make a nice one-stop area for people to upload their files for existing kits and designs, as well as those trying to find a file for a specific design. Since so many of us use these files when deciding on a project or a motor to use, this could be a helpful, organized resource.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
Might make sense to keep using EMRR?

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I like the idea Flyfalcons.

Don't let the naysayers get you down... I certainly didn't. I've created many .ork files after being told it was a bad idea. I've had the satisfaction of knowing that some of my files have been viewed over 100 times. Basically, if they don't like it, they don't have to use it. There's nothing saying that they MUST download the sim here, or anywhere else.

Rocketreviews .rkt files IMHO are a real crapshoot (emphasis on C**P). Some are fairly decent, but WAY to many of them are practically useless. There's no way of knowing who created the file you're looking at. You have no way of knowing if this is one of the decent sims, or one that the number of fins are right and the body tube lengths are right but everything else isn't (like the name of the rocket... For example...The Estes Leviathan I downloaded there that was tagged as a Ventris).

Here... You will likely know immediately who created your sim (they'd be the one who posted it). You'll be able learn whose sims are pretty good, and perhaps what people you'll want to look out for on the field (if their rocket is as bad as the sim, LOOKOUT!!!). Also, here you can edit your post, to update your file, or post a reply to someone's sim. RR's site you can't. You can also post variants in one place, instead of having to hunt for another sim in a sea of sims. Additionally, along with the file you can provide more information here. You can tell people about what compromises you may have had to do to achieve the results you have, or add images to show neat little features...

Yes... I really did add wings to the wingnuts, and now have a sim of an eyebolt.

Sure, here the search function might be a bit more problematic, but it is what it is, and for the most part it seems to work for me.

Last edited:

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
I like the idea Flyfalcons.

Don't let the naysayers get you down... I certainly didn't. I've created many .ork files after being told it was a bad idea. I've had the satisfaction of knowing that some of my files have been viewed over 100 times. Basically, if they don't like it, they don't have to use it. There's nothing saying that they MUST download the sim here, or anywhere else.

Rocketreviews .rkt files IMHO are a real crapshoot (emphasis on C**P). Some are fairly decent, but WAY to many of them are practically useless. There's no way of knowing who created the file you're looking at. You have no way of knowing if this is one of the decent sims, or one that the number of fins are right and the body tube lengths are right but everything else isn't (like the name of the rocket... For example...The Estes Leviathan I downloaded there that was tagged as a Ventris).

Here... You will likely know immediately who created your sim (they'd be the one who posted it). You'll be able learn whose sims are pretty good, and perhaps what people you'll want to look out for on the field (if their rocket is as bad as the sim, LOOKOUT!!!). Also, here you can edit your post, to update your file, or post a reply to someone's sim. RR's site you can't. You can also post variants in one place, instead of having to hunt for another sim in a sea of sims. Additionally, along with the file you can provide more information here. You can tell people about what compromises you may have had to do to achieve the results you have, or add images to show neat little features...

Yes... I really did add wings to the wingnuts, and now have a sim of an eyebolt.

Sure, here the search function might be a bit more problematic, but it is what it is, and for the most part it seems to work for me.

I am in awe of your .ork skills, and am glad to get them however possible.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... my preference for RocketReviews as a repository for sim files was never meant as a criticism of the work done here. One man's opinion. When I'm king of the world things will be different. :wink: Ryan, I'm not sure what your gallery question is referring to.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am in awe of your .ork skills, and am glad to get them however possible.
Glad you like them! :)

I've been pretty honored to see some people who have taken what they've learned from my files, and adapt them for their own projects... Including one from a first time poster.

Hmmm... my preference for RocketReviews as a repository for sim files was never meant as a criticism of the work done here. One man's opinion. When I'm king of the world things will be different. :wink:
One other nice thing about being here, is we can interact with others... Whether that is the person who authored the file, or the end user. I don't see that so much on RR's site.

Peace!

Last edited:

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
Hmmm... my preference for RocketReviews as a repository for sim files was never meant as a criticism of the work done here. One man's opinion. When I'm king of the world things will be different. :wink: Ryan, I'm not sure what your gallery question is referring to.
What I'm saying is, even though I might be able to find the information on another website, why should that preclude having a place for that information here?

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What I'm saying is, even though I might be able to find the information on another website, why should that preclude having a place for that information here?
Ah, ok, it should not. Nor should my opinion cause anyone to question their life's work. :) For me, easy to find outweighs super-accuracy (I'll probably change something regardless) and pretty graphics.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
I'd be onboard with this. Sure, there's lots of files in a relatively searchable format at RocketReviews. But as noted, most barely qualify as a starting point. I'd rather have the option of looking here, where 1) I can have a reasonable shot at getting a hold of the bloke that posted the file and 2) where I can more readily show off my own work. :cool:

But seriously, there's nothing wrong with redundant depots. As long as we find a way to categorize them in a reasonable way.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
The RocketReviews.com OpenRocket and Rocksim Libraries index external sources such as TRF. So, designs posted in a TRF forum will be included. You'll find the designs in the search results at RocketReviews.com and be able to see the summary and preview of the design just as if it had been uploaded to RocketReviews.com. The only difference is that clicking the download link will take you to the TRF post instead of directly downloading the file.

-- Roger