Open Rocket - possible to add or modify motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
Picked up an AT H283 motor, wanted to run a simulation with Open Rocket, but clicked on Select Motor and the H283 was not listed. Is there any way to add it and other missing motors?

Also, bought an AT H115, it is listed but the only choice for Ejection Delay is 14 seconds, even though the delay on this motor is adjustable. Any way to add a shorter delay?

Thanks for any info,
Bill

Add motors, I am not sure. However I can help with the delay question. Click on the delay time to put the cursor in the box, delete or backspace the '14' away, type in the number you want, and hit enter.....

Here's how to add motor files to OR...

1) setup a folder for your motor files
2) download the motor files you need from Thrustcurve.com
3) in OpenRocket, go to "Edit" -> "Preferences"... Then "Add" the folder containing your files.
4) continue adding whatever files you need whenever you need them. Just save them to that folder

@T-Rex, @noffie79 - Thank you! That was easy.

One odd thing happened. When I ran the simulation with the new motor, it gave me this warning message: "Stage began to tumble during thrust." But when I re-ran the simulation, without changing any parameters, all was OK, I got the green check. So I guess all is OK, but I'm curious about why that warning appeared.

Motor files with everything being adjustable are easier to make with the maximum delay. As you are clearly aware of this adjustability this is a non issue.

I downloaded Loki_M2550.eng & Loki_M2550.rse from Thrustcurve.org and put them in a folder called Motor Files and used the directions above. Restarted OR and they still do not show up. Do they require a specific filename or something?

I downloaded Loki_M2550.eng & Loki_M2550.rse from Thrustcurve.org and put them in a folder called Motor Files and used the directions above. Restarted OR and they still do not show up. Do they require a specific filename or something?

Did you kill and restart OR?

Yes. See above. In fact I did it several times.

I had a recent problem (in another thread) where I was saving images from a paint program to use as OR textures, but none of them would show up. Apparently there was some kind of directory permission issue, because when I moved the images to another folder, then OR could see them.

Try moving them to another folder and see what happens.

Nope that didn't fix it either. Which files does it want? The rse or eng? I have both of them in the folder for the Loki M2550. They were downloaded off of thrustcurve.org.

Nope that didn't fix it either. Which files does it want? The rse or eng? I have both of them in the folder for the Loki M2550. They were downloaded off of thrustcurve.org.

Either should work, but RSE is designed for RockSim. Try removing the RSE and just using the ENG. Maybe it chokes if there are two of the same.

Ugh!!!! :mad:

Still doesn't work. I put a new folder in my documents called motor files with just M2550.eng in it. Reset the preferences and added the new folder. No dice.

Did it show up as another thrust curve? In the motor selection, do you see two curves under details?

Homer

SES shows up in the manufacturer list but when I select only that nothing is listed in the motor list. However I realized something. If I move the motor dimensions to include all sizes it shows up. It is because the dialog defaults to 0 to 75mm. Since Loki motors are 76mm there is the problem. My original ones show up now. Thanks for the file so I realized my error.

SES shows up in the manufacturer list but when I select only that nothing is listed in the motor list. However I realized something. If I move the motor dimensions to include all sizes it shows up. It is because the dialog defaults to 0 to 75mm. Since Loki motors are 76mm there is the problem. My original ones show up now. Thanks for the file so I realized my error.

Ha! I've done that, but didn't think of it. Glad it helped.

I'm using .eng add on files

I would also check under preferences in open rocket which file you are saving too

I'm running Windoz 7

Back