Open Rocket on arm64 linux?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmah

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Are there plans for Arm64 Linux support for Open Rocket?

Running the installer script for the current .04 beta I get an error.

Problematic frame:
V [libjvm.so+0x7997b4] frame::frame(long*, long*, long*, unsigned char*)+0xc4

The error report file mentioned in the output is not found.

If there is a workaround, lmk, I'd love to have Open Rocket on a PineBook Pro or other arm based Linux to carry into the field.

Last edited:
Since OpenRocket is a Java program, if you have Java, it should run. The installer would be a problem because those include a copy of Java (version dependency problems) which of course differs between ARM and x86. All you need is the JAR file and Java.

The 3D library has some x86-specific stuff I believe, which has prevented us from offering an ARM version (also highly desirable for the Mac). Replacement of the 3D library is planned but it’s a big job and will take a while.

However, when I tried (awhile ago) to run a JAR file with an ARM native JRE in my M1 Mac, it did run, and mighty fast. But all the 3D stuff was broken.

If you can live with it like that for now, you should be OK. As @UhClem says, just run the JAR file.

That was my experience, too. Just run the jar file, but it's a minefield because it quits if I accidentally try any 3D stuff. Difficult to use successfully.

I thought the Pine 64 would be a great field laptop, but it isn't, for several serious reasons. Was worth $100 to try, though.

Back