Open Rocket motor Library update

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXWalker

Reaction score
How do you update the motor library in Open Rocket? I went to Thrustcurve.com and found the files for RockSim and RASP. I was able to successfully update the files for RockSim however I couldn’t find files for Open Rocket. Looking on my computer I can’t see what file format Open Rocket uses. It seems everything is embedded in the JavaScript.

I hoping to down load the new AT H13 long burn to see what it can do as a 2nd stage motor. My Idea is to get the rocket going with the booster, then use the H13 long burn to maintain a 15 second coast.
Thanks

I read that thread before posting. I searched my computer that has Open Rocket installed and can not find any .eng files. Hence my comment comment that the files must be embedded.

In the Openrocket options, you can instruct it to look at another directory for motor files.

Following the instructions in that thread, you make a folder for the downloaded files, grab the .eng's from thrustcurve, and point OR to your new folder.

You don't modify the native OR directory

How do you update the motor library in Open Rocket? I went to Thrustcurve.com and found the files for RockSim and RASP. I was able to successfully update the files for RockSim however I couldn’t find files for Open Rocket. Looking on my computer I can’t see what file format Open Rocket uses. It seems everything is embedded in the JavaScript.

I hoping to down load the new AT H13 long burn to see what it can do as a 2nd stage motor. My Idea is to get the rocket going with the booster, then use the H13 long burn to maintain a 15 second coast.
Thanks
I am dealing with the same issues... were you able to resolve???

From the thread @Nytrunner pointed to:
Create a folder on your machine where you will store new motor files (I put it on Dropbox so it's available from both machines I use OR on). Put your motor file in that folder, and then go to Edit->Preferences and set the folder where the motor files are stored. Restart OR and your motor will be available in it.

It was a bit confusing at first. The original OR file you download has the motor library embedded. To update the library you create a new folder on your computer and download the new library. Next inside OR preferences you override the embedded library with a pointer to the new folder you just created. Just make sure you get the path set correctly. For future updates you just update the library in the folder. At first it threw me looking for the old library thinking I could just replace it. BTW that is how you update RockSim.

If you're using windows, you can just drop the *.eng files in the following folder and OR will add them without having to change any setting.

c:\users\*yourusername*\appdata\roaming\openrocket\thrustCurves\

The important thing to remember is that you have to restart OR after you do the above. It is frustrating when you add files or a new folder and then can't see it.

If you're using windows, you can just drop the *.eng files in the following folder and OR will add them without having to change any setting.

c:\users\*yourusername*\appdata\roaming\openrocket\thrustCurves\

Just an FYI. The "AppData" sub-folder is a system folder that Windows hides by default. So, in default mode, Windows Explorer will never show AppData, which means the user will have to manually type in the line Evolvant posted into Windows Explorer's address bar.

Also, many Windows users do not know their user name (I have run into this many times helping people with computer issues). Which is why I recommend using the Windows system path variables %AppData% and %LocalAppData% (case insensitive).

%AppData% = C:\Users\*User Name*\AppData\Roaming
%LocalAppData% = C:\Users\*User Name*\AppData\Local

So for the path Evolvant posted, change it to %AppData%\OpenRocket\ThrustCurves.

Just an FYI. The "AppData" sub-folder is a system folder that Windows hides by default. So, in default mode, Windows Explorer will never show AppData, which means the user will have to manually type in the line Evolvant posted into Windows Explorer's address bar.
That is a good general explanation of why I don't want something buried in AppData to be the way I manage my own files. I put motor files in my own file hierarchy that I routinely access and manage on my own. Changing one line in preferences is hardly a hassle.

That is a good general explanation of why I don't want something buried in AppData to be the way I manage my own files. I put motor files in my own file hierarchy that I routinely access and manage on my own. Changing one line in preferences is hardly a hassle.
I could not agree more. Using Windows folders is a pain which is why I am hoping the OR devs move away from that practice.

Before Windows 2000, the standard practice for Windows programs was to store everything related to the program's config: user settings, folder paths, etc, in sub-folders within the program's parent folder. This made it super easy to do backups of all your important programs. Same was true when restoring said programs.

OR devs really should embrace that philosophy with the next iteration of the program.

I still get "no motors" in the flight configuration drop down menu with my rocket design on open rocket. I have downloaded the estes.eng file and put it in the thrustcurves folder. closed and reopened. I have done all sorts of iterations as suggested in this thread but no matter what I do all I see is no motors. I am new to using this software so what am I doing wrong.

I still get "no motors" in the flight configuration drop down menu with my rocket design on open rocket. I have downloaded the estes.eng file and put it in the thrustcurves folder. closed and reopened. I have done all sorts of iterations as suggested in this thread but no matter what I do all I see is no motors. I am new to using this software so what am I doing wrong.
  1. You only need to download files for new motors that are not in the built-in library. For Estes, I believe the the C5-3 is the only one you would need right now.
  2. The drop-down menu will show you all the choices of the motor configurations you have already defined:
    1613315822037.png
  3. Go to that tab and create all your various motor configurations, and then you should see them available in the drop down.
  4. After creating a new configuration, you'll need to "select motor" for that configuration, and then you'll see all the motors available in the library (including the ones that you've added.)
  5. Make sure you've defined your motor mount as a motor mount:
    1613315981695.png

okay got it finally. I missed the tab that said select motor in the motor and configuration menu. I was trying to select motor from the design panel/menu. Thanks for help

The important thing to remember is that you have to restart OR after you do the above. It is frustrating when you add files or a new folder and then can't see it.
hello, sir I have the same issue the M2020 motor has the wrong diameters in the open rocket and ı have been trying to upload the correct files from https://www.thrustcurve.org/ but ı couldn't figure it out. but these links down there you gave are working perfectly I need m2020 ones can you help me please?ssss.PNG

hello, sir I have the same issue the M2020 motor has the wrong diameters in the open rocket and ı have been trying to upload the correct files from https://www.thrustcurve.org/ but ı couldn't figure it out. but these links down there you gave are working perfectly I need m2020 ones can you help me please?View attachment 500729
In thrustvcurve.org, click "Search Motors", put "M2020" in the "Common Name" field, and click Submit. On the motor's page, scroll down below the thrust curve graphic to "Simulator Files". Click on "RockSim". This will open a new page. Click "Download" next to "Data file". Save the file in the folder where all the other OR motor files are stored. Then relaunch OR.

Back