Open Rocket loading of motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketcharlie

Reaction score
Hi,

Could some one please tell me how to load a motor into the rocket design I have in Open Rocket. This is a 75mm minimum diameter rocket. I have selected the body tube configutation, clicked "motor", then selected "This component is a motor mount". When I then select "motors & configuration", I am not able to go any further.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Not a lot of information in your post, so hard to know where the problem is. Make sure you are doing this:

• choose Motors & Configuration tab
  • click New Configuration button
  • (that should open the select motor window, if not, click Select Motor button)
  • select Filter Motors (upper right of window) > Select All
    • or, Filter Motors > Clear All and then tick the brands as necessary
  • Adjust filter sliders and check boxes as necessary (lower right of window)
  • Select your motor from list on lift
  • Adjust Delay popup as needed (upper left, above motor list)
  • Click OK
  • You should now be able to switch to the Flight Simulations tab and run the sim

That should do it. If not, you'll need to post more info or a screenshot. If using electronics, don't forget to set your apogee recovery device to deploy at apogee rather than using the ejection charge.

Tony

There is a weird bug I see where when OR is run on a machine usually equipped with two monitors, it may open popup dialogs in the second monitor instead of the monitor where the main program is displayed. Then, if you try to run it with the auxiliary monitor disconnected, it will still want to pop up the dialog in the "other" screen that isn't there, which just makes it inaccessible.

There is a weird bug I see where when OR is run on a machine usually equipped with two monitors, it may open popup dialogs in the second monitor instead of the monitor where the main program is displayed. Then, if you try to run it with the auxiliary monitor disconnected, it will still want to pop up the dialog in the "other" screen that isn't there, which just makes it inaccessible.
That should be fixed with the latest beta. If you are still seeing it please let us know, otherwise I will assume you're referring to the old version.

Hi,

Could some one please tell me how to load a motor into the rocket design I have in Open Rocket. This is a 75mm minimum diameter rocket. I have selected the body tube configutation, clicked "motor", then selected "This component is a motor mount". When I then select "motors & configuration", I am not able to go any further.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Post the design file and state which motor you want loaded. The design will be tested with the current unstable and a working design file posted, or an explanation as to why it doesn’t work.

Tony- thank you! I followed your instructions and it worked fine. Maybe I just wasn't doing things in the right order.

Charlie

Now, one more question if I may. When I load a motor, I am loading the weight of the motor only. I'm assuming I need to add the weight of the motor case and closures as a mass object in the design to get the full design parameters.

Motor weight is the total including case.
When in the motor selection screen, click on the "show Details" tab on the upper right. This gives the details including launch weight and empty weight.
You can then go to Thrustcurve.com and confirm the details for the selected motor.
Example of the AT Qjet C18:

1673804704277.png

That should be fixed with the latest beta. If you are still seeing it please let us know, otherwise I will assume you're referring to the old version.

I'm on 22.02.beta.05. I just tried it and didn't run into that. I guess I can't remember having the problem since updating.

What I tried when I wrote the above was adding a "New Configuration" on the motors tab.

Tonight, I tried playing with OR to bash some cheap DBRM kits while away from my usual desk environment. Sure enough, when I'm in the "Rocket design" tab and try to edit any component, the Edit button reacts to being clicked, but nothing pops up. I won't have access to an auxiliary monitor until tomorrow, but for now, I'm locked out of being able to do anything to the rocket itself.

I am able to add motors, run the sim, adjust delays, rerun the sim. But can't edit any components. I also tried it with another .ork file and got the same result.

Last edited:
Thanks for tracking that down! That is on Beta 5?

Also: at any point did you try closing OR and then reopening it? The way the fix worked is that the first time you open the Edit dialog after running the app, it would force the dialog to the primary window. But it only does it the first time, so you can move the edit dialog anywhere you want after that.

Latest posts

Back