open rocket gives 2 different apogees for same motor and rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same version of OpenRocket? I'd bet you have different launch settings configured.
ok, so i had him send me his actual file and when i select the same motor as he is using, it drops the altitude from 11,000 to 2300 feet. All launch settings are correct. However, im on version 22.02 beta and he is on 15.03... So which one is the correct altitude?

thanks

You probably have the delay of the motor set to 0.
but i used his file that he emailed me? so that shouldnt change should it? ill double check though
edit. looks like ejection charged did get set back to 0. i set it to match OR and now i hit 10,000 feet

thanks a million for that. why would no ejection charge cause it to go so low? ejection happens at the end. maybe i want a giant lawn dart haha

ok, so i had him send me his actual file and when i select the same motor as he is using, it drops the altitude from 11,000 to 2300 feet. All launch settings are correct. However, im on version 22.02 beta and he is on 15.03... So which one is the correct altitude?

thanks
When you say "all launch settings are correct" do you mean you directly compared your launch site condition values?

Screenshots are helpful, as are posted sims.

but i used his file that he emailed me? so that shouldnt change should it? ill double check though
edit. looks like ejection charged did get set back to 0. i set it to match OR and now i hit 10,000 feet

thanks a million for that. why would no ejection charge cause it to go so low? ejection happens at the end. maybe i want a giant lawn dart haha

A delay of 0 means the ejection charge goes off at motor burnout not that there is no ejection. If you don’t want the ejection to go off in the sim, specify the delay as “None”.

So I just downloaded the file from the Wildman website and ran a sim with the L2200. I get an altitude of 13,730 ft and max velocity of mach 1.38. I've seen this rocket fly on a baby M in person, and based on that these numbers for the L2200 seem about right (if not perhaps a touch optimistic).

When you say "all launch settings are correct" do you mean you directly compared your launch site condition values?

Screenshots are helpful, as are posted sims.
yes, exactly that. i wanted to make sure all settings were the same and they were. the only thing that i didnt account for was having to reset the ejection timer

A delay of 0 means the ejection charge goes off at motor burnout not that there is no ejection. If you don’t want the ejection to go off in the sim, specify the delay as “None”.
that would be crazy to see though. One of the rockets yesterday had a bad day and blew appart off the rails. Another rocket lost a fin off the rail and went at a 45 degree angle. no ejection happened either and according to their gps, it landed 8 miles away.

So I just downloaded the file from the Wildman website and ran a sim with the L2200. I get an altitude of 13,730 ft and max velocity of mach 1.38. I've seen this rocket fly on a baby M in person, and based on that these numbers for the L2200 seem about right (if not perhaps a touch optimistic).
yeah, its because the ejection charge was set to 0 by default. I got it figured out now. thanks for the validation of data though. Im glad it was me haha. I added a 9lb mass to it and we get 10,047 feet

This is *always* the best bet, and yet rarely the first thing done. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Best bet is to post the file.
i posted the link to the exact file he was using and i was using. He downloaded it and opened it in OR 15.03, made no changes to the original file, then i opened it in version 22.02, and noticed a huge altitude difference. For whatever reason, OR 15 added the ejection delay but my version did not when i added the L2200G motor.
since the 22.02 is beta, could that be the reason it did not add the time?

did you have to add the ejection time or did OR automatically do it? version 15 seems to auto do it haha

i posted the link to the exact file he was using and i was using. He downloaded it and opened it in OR 15.03, made no changes to the original file, then i opened it in version 22.02, and noticed a huge altitude difference. For whatever reason, OR 15 added the ejection delay but my version did not when i added the L2200G motor.
The Wildman file is a RocSim file, yes it works with OR but only after YOU have gone through the ENTIRE file in OR and made sure it matches YOUR rocket. If you didn't correct the Wildman file for your rocket its GIGO.

"After converting from .rkt to .ork using two different versions of software, neither of us double checked the delay even though at least one of us was getting deploy-at-high-speed warning".

The Wildman file is a RocSim file, yes it works with OR but only after YOU have gone through the ENTIRE file in OR and made sure it matches YOUR rocket. If you didn't correct the Wildman file for your rocket its GIGO.
correct, i know that once you open a rocsim file in OR, that i have to check everything and we did, except for a small thing that did not auto complete in version 22., its when you add the motor in ver 15, that it auto added the delay time, but version 22 did not. I was under the assumption that if 15 added the delay time automatically, like it did for my team mate, that it would have added the time automatically for me in my openrocekt software, but it did not. However, it is fixed now and i get the same altitudes as my time mate once i added the delay time:)

"After converting from .rkt to .ork using two different versions of software, neither of us double checked the delay even though at least one of us was getting deploy-at-high-speed warning".
only error i get from the explanation point is a discontinuity in body shape. It also shows the body shape warning in the bottom right hand corner of the main window, but no error for deploy

but it literally doesnt matter anymore since i got it fixed 4 hours ago based on rocketgeeks information:)

only error i get from the explanation point is a discontinuity in body shape. It also shows the body shape warning in the bottom right hand corner of the main window, but no error for deploy
If you intentionally set your delay back to zero you don't get any warnings about deployment at high speed in your simulations tab? Screenshot please?

If you intentionally set your delay back to zero you don't get any warnings about deployment at high speed in your simulations tab? Screenshot please?
if i intentionally set it back to 0, yes it gives the warning, but SOMETIMES it does not when you first load the rocket motor. That is what was causing me to be confused at first. "Why did my team mates rocket hit 11987 feet with no errors, and mine is hitting 2300 feet with no errors?" I confirmed with my team mate that he did not add the ejection time. So version 15 automatically added it, while my version did not, but thanks to rocketgeek for pointing that out.

edit, that sounded harsh and not what i was trying to convey.

im moving on to another question away from this thread is what i am trying to say haha. sorry fopr that. Im trying to say i may not reply for a bit:)

Last edited:
i posted the link to the exact file he was using and i was using.

Incorrect.
It was a link to the .rkt file that describes the rocket.
Motor, launch site, and launch flight parameters are added by the rocketeer. Once fully configured, you can save and share those via .ork file.

"Why did my team mates rocket hit 11987 feet with no errors, and mine is hitting 2300 feet with no errors?"

Your friend configured everything properly.
You screwed up yours. And keep blaming the software.

Any other questions we can help you with?

im moving on to another question away from this thread is what i am trying to say haha. sorry fopr that. Im trying to say i may not reply for a bit:)

Haha, straight back at you!

if i intentionally set it back to 0, yes it gives the warning, but SOMETIMES it does not when you first load the rocket motor. That is what was causing me to be confused at first. "Why did my team mates rocket hit 11987 feet with no errors, and mine is hitting 2300 feet with no errors?" I confirmed with my team mate that he did not add the ejection time. So version 15 automatically added it, while my version did not, but thanks to rocketgeek for pointing that out.

edit, that sounded harsh and not what i was trying to convey.

As others have said... post the Open Rocket ".ork" file here on this thread.

Then folks can open the same exact Open Rocket file you are looking at and help you. Easy Peazzy.

Incorrect.
It was a link to the .rkt file that describes the rocket.
Motor, launch site, and launch flight parameters are added by the rocketeer. Once fully configured, you can save and share those via .ork file.

Your friend configured everything properly.
You screwed up yours. And keep blaming the software.

Any other questions we can help you with?

Haha, straight back at you!
completely incorrect on your part. before stating that im blaming a beta version of software, please be sure to read my other posts. as i have mentioned, he opened the roc sim file, added nothing to it except the L2200G motor, i opened the exact same rocsim file, added nothing to it except the L2200G motor and we both got differnet readings. As i have mentioned, it seems that version 15 auto populated the delay time while the beta version did not. i have it fixed now for hours. it was a simple fix due to the beta verison not auto populating the value..
Please accept the idea that beta versions may have an issue, its not always the user:) And if you dont believe me that the beta version didnt auto populate the value, thats fine. I know what happened and rocketgeek helped me fix it in a matter of seconds.

As others have said... post the Open Rocket ".ork" file here on this thread.

Then folks can open the same exact Open Rocket file you are looking at and help you. Easy Peazzy.
the file is above in the link. its a rocsim file. we opened it in OR, changed nothing, but the issue was that ver15 of the software auto populated the delay time while the beta version i am on did not. rocket geek helped me fix it a few hours ago which was great:) I am glad he helped me find the issue

the file is above in the link. its a rocsim file. we opened it in OR, changed nothing, but the issue was that ver15 of the software auto populated the delay time while the beta version i am on did not. rocket geek helped me fix it a few hours ago which was great:) I am glad he helped me find the issue
What you're saying (repeatedly) is simply wrong.

completely incorrect on your part. before stating that im blaming a beta version of software, please be sure to read my other posts. as i have mentioned, he opened the roc sim file, added nothing to it except the L2200G motor, i opened the exact same rocsim file, added nothing to it except the L2200G motor and we both got differnet readings. As i have mentioned, it seems that version 15 auto populated the delay time while the beta version did not. i have it fixed now for hours. it was a simple fix due to the beta verison not auto populating the value..
Please accept the idea that beta versions may have an issue, its not always the user:) And if you dont believe me that the beta version didnt auto populate the value, thats fine. I know what happened and rocketgeek helped me fix it in a matter of seconds.

What is this "auto-populate" business? When you add a new motor for simulation, you choose the delay. There are infinite possibilities.

thanks

Aren't you Level 1 and Level 2 in one day and now planning Level 3? You really don't know which altitude makes more sense?

Best bet is to post the file.

Best bet is to stop and think about the simulation result and do some diagnosis before running to the forum for an easy answer. Isn't that what being an engineering student is all about?

completely incorrect on your part. before stating that im blaming a beta version of software, please be sure to read my other posts. as i have mentioned, he opened the roc sim file, added nothing to it except the L2200G motor, i opened the exact same rocsim file, added nothing to it except the L2200G motor and we both got differnet readings.

You are not getting it.
Ask your friend for help. He is the smarter one.

As i have mentioned, it seems that version 15 auto populated the delay time while the beta version did not. i have it fixed now for hours. it was a simple fix due to the beta verison not auto populating the value..

Kid, stop blaming the software.
The user selects the motor and the desired ejection delay. If you don't know what that means, or did not realize that the delay may have defaulted to 0, then it's hardly software's fault.

Aren't you Level 1 and Level 2 in one day and now planning Level 3? You really don't know which altitude makes more sense?

Please tell me that you are not trying for ANY level of certification with level of comprehension?
Pretty please?

You are not getting it.
Ask your friend for help. He is the smarter one.

Kid, stop blaming the software.
The user selects the motor and the desired ejection delay. If you don't know what that means, or did not realize that the delay may have defaulted to 0, then it's hardly software's fault.

Please tell me that you are not trying for ANY level of certification with level of comprehension?
Pretty please?
Yup, im a level 2 as of yesterday:)
your just having a hard time reading my posts, and im sorry about that. You are also very emotionally immature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back