Open rocket Android.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Hinton

Reaction score
Will there be a update to the Android open rocket app? I can't get it to pull motors and I have read where some has been able to fix it but I don't have any programming or coding experience.

Ah, my bad. Well, despite the fact that the number of Android phones in the world outnumbers iPhone 3:1, a lot of developers still don't write their apps for both. Too many people think the world revolves around Apple because it's "easier". It's not, based on the number of questions I constantly field from my wife about her iPhone, Mac and iPad and how she can't figure out how to do something....

Feel free to share it, I'll give it a shot. I can even let you know of bugs if you want to be the new dev :p. I'm curious what you had to do to get it to work properly.

My wife gave me her old tablet to screw around with and OR runs wonderfully on it. 3d view is the only thing that doesn't work but thats the same story as my laptop (its a known issue for people who have low end graphics IIRC)
IMG_20210412_232305438.jpg

Ooh, ooh, yes, please! I've never been able to load a rocket, let alone an engine. It just sits there on the splash screen.

Ah, my bad. Well, despite the fact that the number of Android phones in the world outnumbers iPhone 3:1, a lot of developers still don't write their apps for both. Too many people think the world revolves around Apple because it's "easier". It's not, based on the number of questions I constantly field from my wife about her iPhone, Mac and iPad and how she can't figure out how to do something....
In this case, that's not what it's about. There's no living OR Android app, and no iOS version at all if I'm not mistaken. ThrustCurve.org has apps for both platforms.

There are, indeed, developers who only pay attention to iPhones/iPads because that's the best selling brand. Sure, Apple outsells any single brand, but Android overall has way many more users than iOS overall. Developers would do well to realize that Apple has lost the battle for market share, and only does a good job of talking like they've won.

But that's not what's going on with OR.

Sure, Apple outsells any single brand, but Android overall has way many more users than iOS overall. Developers would do well to realize that Apple has lost the battle for market share, and only does a good job of talking like they've won.
Not in the US, which is where a lot of developers are focused. Some good background: https://www.mobileapps.com/blog/android-vs-ios-market-share

There are many possible reasons for developers to choose one platform or the other. Paid apps tend to be more lucrative on iOS. Sometimes, especially for free apps, developers simply choose to develop for the platform they use and prefer. Developing for both platforms (especially if native) increases effort and support requirements.

Last edited:
I probably should have elaborated more on my post I am running OR from an app that runs full desktop linux (Ubuntu 20.04 in my case). The install of OR was no different than a linux desktop install.
The app is called UserLAnd, if people are interested I'd be happy to do a separate post how to. That said the process can be pretty technically involved.
I'd still like to see what @Chris Hinton did to get the .apk to work.

Latest posts

Back