Open Rocket and Spill Holes.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractionengines

Jack of all trades, Master of... (oh never mind)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen some notes on the new version of OR and suppout for Pods and Side Boosters, and that it will support them. "Testing is ongoing"
Can you let us know if it will have support for spill holes for stabiliy, and/or reefing shroud lines for faster decent at small fields?

Spill holes are not supported. Reefing shroud lines could be simulated (I think) by just shortening the shroud lines in the parachute component editor, right?

Spill holes are not supported. Reefing shroud lines could be simulated (I think) by just shortening the shroud lines in the parachute component editor, right?

No. The software would then have to adjust the shape of the chute and re-compute its CdA. Highly unlikely.

My TARC students decided to simulate reefing and spill holes by simply reducing the diameter of the chute to whatever the effective diameter would be. It worked fine.

My TARC students decided to simulate reefing and spill holes by simply reducing the diameter of the chute to whatever the effective diameter would be. It worked fine.

Indeed. The simple answer is usually best.

A lot can be learned about what OR can and can't do by plotting the dozens of variables vs. flight time.

Back