Open Body missile build for my Level 2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Life has been getting in the way of my building, but now I'm in the home stretch. I've modified the design once again, and it's first flight will be a cluster: (2) aerotech H-180's and a J-340 metalstorm

[YOUTUBE]VONg6sEzusg[/YOUTUBE]

Freaking awesome!

I love the interaction between you and your boy! Hilarious! Reminds me of when my kids were that little.

Got two of 4 ferrings attached to the body. The other two go on tomorrow.

r1.JPG

are you flying it this weekend

I WAS planning on it (December 10 @ Lucerne) but every time I rush a project, it either crashes (P-29 Cobra) or it goes into the crowd (e. coli II). There's just no way I'll get it done by this weekend. I don't know if there's a launch in January, but it will definitely be done by then. I'll update this thread when I plan to launch, and of course, I'll be taking video. Thanks!

I've settled on a name and a final design: "Suicide King"
Here's a cheesy picture of what this rocket will look like (hopefully).
I'm gonna gold leaf the crown and mount Savworski crystals, then hand paint the king's face and snow leopard collar.

roccolor trf.jpg

Here's the semi-progress of the nose cone, which isn't really a nose cone. I used PML's phenolic tubing and added a layer of glass. The taped off portion above the king's head is jagged like shark teeth- it's the top of his crown. Once I'm finished painting the face and the hand holding the sword, I will gold-leaf the crown and inset the jewels. I intended to use black for the face, but settled on deep blue instead for better effect.

NC1.jpg

NC3.jpg

NC4.jpg

I started painting the base. I'll be masking off the red areas and painting the side ferrings gloss black (to contrast with the white tubes running through the ferrings). The red paint is not very thick and requires a lot of coats!!! I'm on the 7th coat and it's still ghosting on me. I skipped the typical "red" paint and went for a metallic red instead- looks way better.

DSCN2367.JPG

DSCN2389.jpg

I attached the front fins on the mid section and began painting it. I decided to transition from red to white to gray to black- I like the red,black,white,gray color scheme, especially for this rocket which is called "SUICIDE KING".

DSCN2390.jpg

[POW]Eagle159;274390 said:
This is a BEAST rocket!!! love the paint!:wink:

Yeah, I agree with you! In fact, I'm gett'n kinda nervous, cuz the rear section alone weighs 14 pounds with motors. Now I'm gonna have to add even MORE weight to the cone to move the CG up. I think I'm gonna wind up using two Aerotech H-250's to get her off the launch rail with sufficient speed, with an Aerotech J-420 or J-500 as the central motor. I wanted a slow takeoff, but since I was stupid enough to use a 38mm motor mount instead of a 54mm, it looks like that's a no go.

Worse of all, I found out too late that level 2 certification forbids more than one motor! There's no way this thing can take off on a single J-500 (the largest motor I can fit in my motor casing), so I'll need to get certified on another rocket first. Dammit!

Do you not have room for the next size case?

I have a 38/1080 that has a screaming J825R, but the J500G has a peak initial thrust of 175pounds. You said it weighs 14 pounds. That puts you at a 12.5:1 thrust to weight ratio. That would be fine.

The 1080 also has a J570W that I think would be perfect.

Ok and once you open up to Cesaroni you really have a lot of choices.
CTI 38 6XL J520 Skid if you are into that.

That is one of the coolest rockets and by far most unique I have seen in a while.

Bryce

Thanks you guys.

I've been wanting to check out the Cesaronis for a while, but I just bought the rouse tech 38mm casing- don't think the wifey would be too pleased if I bought another right away. BTW, do the cessaronis have more power than the aerotech reloads? (just what I heard)

The best thing about the CTI loads is the ease of use. IF you have the starter kit, you get the 3G case, the 6G case, a delay adjustment tool, and 2 spacers. This lets you run all the motors in the pro38 lineup with the ecxeption of the 6XL. (you would need the XL case and an XL spacer)

Also, the cleanup is super simple. Unscrew the nozzle, and slide out the liner. Cram a new load in, and you are ready to rock-and-roll. :headbang:

You know Jack rents casings right. For free!

If you want L2 to be easier CTI really can't be beat. I am not a fan of building aerotech motors. So CTI is my number one choice!

Bryce

I am far from an expert, and you have probably already considered this, and I am guessing that since no one else has said anything that I am probably wrong.
That said, with the open rocket design, won't the front king and crown behave like a tube fin at the very front of the rocket? I.e., if the rocket transiently deviates off flight path won't the aerodynamic forces of that "tube" up front tend to encourage even more deviation?
Again, probably ignorance on my part, but seems like an open rocket design, unless the engine(s) are mounted far forward, will have a considerable further forward center of pressure that would require either much more nose weight and/or much more posterior fin surface area than a rocket with a nose cone in order to be stable.:confused2:

My "nose-less" has no fins :) ...well. not in the traditional sense. It's a rocket in a 4" dia x 18" tube. It's flat black inside and nothing show's in photos :p

Here's the completed nose. I just finished leafing the crown with 24k gold:rolleyes:

I also added the gems, and I almost forgot to paint the hand and the sword before I clear-coated! NOW it's a suicide king. I just hope the name isn't an omen for how it's gonna fly

king1.JPG

king2.JPG

OK, we're just about finished. My kids whined about having to take a picture, but when they saw the rocket fully assembled, they said "whoa!" and they were happy to pose with it. This is the most gaudy rocket I've made (my buddy calls it the "Liberace" rocket!). If you've never gold leafed a rocket before, try it! It looks wild in the sunlight. You can get a pack of 25 sheets at Michael's for $10 (+ adhesive and sealer).

king4.jpg

Back