Open Body missile build for my Level 2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHYYyyyyyyy.... That was not the right ending for such a GOOD rocket!

I was like Ooooo can't wait to see what happened in the thread....Then CRASH.

Well, now you know it CAN be done!

This video summarizes how it appears you have reacted to the crash:
[video=youtube;n0wImpSw5DI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0wImpSw5DI[/video]
That is really too bad! I was hoping that this rocket would have a great flight.

DANG MAN!
Well, one thing for sure,it did fly about as straight as straight gets.
Nice build,nice rocket and even a better attitude!
So sorry.

Wow.. Amazing rocket!
I am so sorry to see the ending, but straight as an arrow, up and down.

Absolutely beautiful launch right up to apogee.

Bloody rotton luck with the recovery.

BUT, the theory and design of the rocket in flight was proven, so thumbs up for that! :)

BUT, the theory and design of the rocket in flight was proven, so thumbs up for that!

That was the objective- which is why I'm not upset about the crash. I was stressing about where I was gonna store the thing anyway.

Congrats on a beautiful build, a unique and STABLE design, and a wonderful attitude!

Thanks buddy, I appreciate that

Wow.. Amazing rocket!
I am so sorry to see the ending, but straight as an arrow, up and down.

I thought the ending made for a better video. And you're right, it WAS straight, several people commented on that at the site. I loved the roar as it came in ballistic, followed by the loud "thump!" just after impact.

Scotty Dog
DANG MAN!
Well, one thing for sure,it did fly about as straight as straight gets.
Nice build,nice rocket and even a better attitude!
So sorry.

Thank you!

eggplant
This video summarizes how it appears you have reacted to the crash

LMFAO! My wife looked at me like I was crazy I was laughing so much; it just hit mmy funny bone at the right angle. Thanks for sharing that!

Well, now you know it CAN be done

Hey, wait a minute,:confused2: it WAS done. Failed recovery is only a disqualifier for certs. I just wanted to execute a stable flight with an open-body design

El Cheapo
You just won The Best Attitude of the Year award. Congrats on your AWESOME build and crash

Thanks- but wait till you see my L3 I'm working on!!!

stealth6
Gulp!

Doncha just love how phenolic tubing "holds up" in such a landing? I had one come in ballistic that literally disintegrated - there was a nose cone and fin can left, but the airframe simply vanished into tiny little shards.

Oh, and I distinctly see what looks like a nose cone amongst the wreckage in those pics - so you can't actually claim this as a nose-cone-less rocket.

Shame it had to end this way, but I'm glad you got one great launch out of it.
What's next?

Yeah, I took lots of pics of the wreckage- lots to be learned about materials and impact; all the pieces could fit in a small box! As for the "nose cone", the 2 small nose cones were faux boosters; they were aesthetic only. The rocket itself was open from the front to the aft (you could see daylight right through it). What's next??? I'll tell you what's next- my level 3 rocket... this time I'm going all out, and I WILL use more rivets for the recovery!

You certainly live up to your signature.

What exactly might have caused the separation? The late ejection putting too much stress on something?

You certainly live up to your signature.

What exactly might have caused the separation? The late ejection putting too much stress on something?

Well, Sort of.... now follow me on this:
When we put it on the rail, the motor fell out along with the laundry, right on the ground!! The friction fit I thought was too tight was actually too loose: shear pins next time! Anyway, I could not reach in far enought to repack the chute, so I had to remove the whole "removable motor assembly" (my experimental design) by drilling out rivets. When I replaced the assembly, I got lazy and only replaced 2 of 8 rivets, cuz I didn't want to have to drill out 8, should the same thing happen again. Long story short, the jerking of the chute deployment yanked the assembly right out, due to only having 2 rivets holding it! Had the cute opened right at apogee, it would have held fine. I didn't really like the way that rocket came out anyway and I'm glad it's gone, so now I'm going for a bigger one, a dual deploy, to fly on an "M" motor for my L3. It's gonna be SAHHHHH-WEEET!!

As for the "nose cone", the 2 small nose cones were faux boosters; they were aesthetic only. The rocket itself was open from the front to the aft (you could see daylight right through it).

I was just joshing you, I knew it was actually "nose-cone-less". This was a pretty cool project I was keeping my eye on it. Can't wait to see what you come up with when you "go all out"!

s6

Well, Sort of.... now follow me on this:
When we put it on the rail, the motor fell out along with the laundry, right on the ground!! The friction fit I thought was too tight was actually too loose: shear pins next time! Anyway, I could not reach in far enought to repack the chute, so I had to remove the whole "removable motor assembly" (my experimental design) by drilling out rivets. When I replaced the assembly, I got lazy and only replaced 2 of 8 rivets, cuz I didn't want to have to drill out 8, should the same thing happen again. Long story short, the jerking of the chute deployment yanked the assembly right out, due to only having 2 rivets holding it! Had the cute opened right at apogee, it would have held fine. I didn't really like the way that rocket came out anyway and I'm glad it's gone, so now I'm going for a bigger one, a dual deploy, to fly on an "M" motor for my L3. It's gonna be SAHHHHH-WEEET!!

June in lucerne? Level 3

The only thing I'm bummed about is that the switch on my camera was NOT set to HD !!!!

Here's a video of the carnage:

[video=youtube;cIS6i0woTf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIS6i0woTf0[/video]

What was left?

Did the case survive?

Thankfully the entire removeable motor assembly separated from the rocket, but not the chute. It gently landed in the sand. As far as the wreckage, the fins were just fine (thanks to my fiberglass fillets)

Good thing too, because that chute cost me $80 bucks, the fins were costly G-10, and the casing was JACK'S! I would have had to pay him at least $150-$200. All that crashed was the rocket itself, so no big loss. Wish you and Jared could have made it, but I'll see you guys June 8-10. I'm 1/2 done with "Crimson Scourge", and I hope to have my edible rocket completed too. What are YOU guys bringing? I can only imagine!!!

Back