Oops. Only for the second time in 2,500 Estes motors used in 14 years!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my bud's Big Daddy nosedove into the top of a storage container a few months back and was demolished, there was zero evidence that the ejection charge had fired...D12-5. Unsure exact manufacture date but it was a recent purchase from Hobbylinc, so probably not tooooo old... Yours appears to have been manufactured in 2020; his, too, probably.

Hmmm....

When my bud's Big Daddy nosedove into the top of a storage container a few months back and was demolished, there was zero evidence that the ejection charge had fired...D12-5. Unsure exact manufacture date but it was a recent purchase from Hobbylinc, so probably not tooooo old... Yours appears to have been manufactured in 2020; his, too, probably.

Hmmm....
Yes, 11 20 2020. Both motors from one pack just purchased at Hobby Lobby.

Hmmmmmm, guess that burn never made it through the delay material....what does Estes use for their delay and how is it set up to burn through. I always thought it was a slow burning compound that produced the tracking smoke which burned through to the ejection charge. Either means there was no ejection charge or the burn never made it through To it. Perhaps you may want to tear apart that motor and see what happened. If it’s missing the eject charge then they have a real qual control, manufact problem...if the delay stopped the burn, then who knows....very strange no doubt.

My Big Daddy experience about 12+ years ago. It sat on the launch pad going nowhere with the exhaust just spewing out. ....the clay nozzle and plug inserted had blew out, the engine ignited but the ejection charge never activated.

Attachments

• n_a.2jpg.jpg
    n_a.2jpg.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 21
  • n_a.3jpg.jpg
    n_a.3jpg.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 23
  • n_a.jpg
    n_a.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 22
  • n_a4.jpg
    n_a4.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 20
  • n_a.5jpg.jpg
    n_a.5jpg.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Hmmmmmm, guess that burn never made it through the delay material....what does Estes use for their delay and how is it set up to burn through. I always thought it was a slow burning compound that produced the tracking smoke which burned through to the ejection charge. Either means there was no ejection charge or the burn never made it through To it. Perhaps you may want to tear apart that motor and see what happened. If it’s missing the eject charge then they have a real qual control, manufact problem...if the delay stopped the burn, then who knows....very strange no doubt.
A clay nozzle, 3 different BP mixes and a clay cap all pressed together make up a a BP motor. The trick is to make it an automated, single die compression done on the cheap. That is what a pyrotechnician named Vern Estes figured out in the late 50s. Like chocolate, mass production of BP motors is hard to do.

Latest posts

Back