Oops. Only for the second time in 2,500 Estes motors used in 14 years!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

neil_w

Good at some things
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I use a lot of D12s, not gonna be a happy camper if/when that happens to me.

What happened to the rocket?

Daddyisabar

Oddrocs Rule!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
BUT THE ROCKET GODS WERE WITH ME!

123_1.jpeg

Steve Riegel's awesome cluster photo! Clips falling with igniters. Dual flame deflecting off the compact disc blast defector! TLP Persius flys again!

SharkWhisperer

Reaction score
When my bud's Big Daddy nosedove into the top of a storage container a few months back and was demolished, there was zero evidence that the ejection charge had fired...D12-5. Unsure exact manufacture date but it was a recent purchase from Hobbylinc, so probably not tooooo old... Yours appears to have been manufactured in 2020; his, too, probably.

Hmmm....

Daddyisabar

Oddrocs Rule!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When my bud's Big Daddy nosedove into the top of a storage container a few months back and was demolished, there was zero evidence that the ejection charge had fired...D12-5. Unsure exact manufacture date but it was a recent purchase from Hobbylinc, so probably not tooooo old... Yours appears to have been manufactured in 2020; his, too, probably.

Hmmm....
Yes, 11 20 2020. Both motors from one pack just purchased at Hobby Lobby.

icyclops

Reaction score
Hmmmmmm, guess that burn never made it through the delay material....what does Estes use for their delay and how is it set up to burn through. I always thought it was a slow burning compound that produced the tracking smoke which burned through to the ejection charge. Either means there was no ejection charge or the burn never made it through To it. Perhaps you may want to tear apart that motor and see what happened. If it’s missing the eject charge then they have a real qual control, manufact problem...if the delay stopped the burn, then who knows....very strange no doubt.

KenECoyote

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Could the charge have blown through the nozzle without breaking it?

shockie

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
My Big Daddy experience about 12+ years ago. It sat on the launch pad going nowhere with the exhaust just spewing out. ....the clay nozzle and plug inserted had blew out, the engine ignited but the ejection charge never activated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Daddyisabar

Oddrocs Rule!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My Big Daddy experience about 12+ years ago. It sat on the launch pad going nowhere with the exhaust just spewing out. ....the clay nozzle with nozzle and plug inserted had blew out, the engine ignited but the ejection charge never activated.
Sounds like a CATO and lacking ejection charge combo!

Daddyisabar

Oddrocs Rule!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm, guess that burn never made it through the delay material....what does Estes use for their delay and how is it set up to burn through. I always thought it was a slow burning compound that produced the tracking smoke which burned through to the ejection charge. Either means there was no ejection charge or the burn never made it through To it. Perhaps you may want to tear apart that motor and see what happened. If it’s missing the eject charge then they have a real qual control, manufact problem...if the delay stopped the burn, then who knows....very strange no doubt.
A clay nozzle, 3 different BP mixes and a clay cap all pressed together make up a a BP motor. The trick is to make it an automated, single die compression done on the cheap. That is what a pyrotechnician named Vern Estes figured out in the late 50s. Like chocolate, mass production of BP motors is hard to do.

Latest posts