Oops! I launched my tiki drink!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm terrible at judging altitude. I have a little estes altimeter. it actually worked. Once. I'll probably put it in there next flight and hope for a result. I'm curious to know how far off it is from the sim.

Likewise congrats. Great flight, hope recovered undamaged. I would like some more pics of the rocket.

Tricks for video with Estes controller by yourself.

Sit on your tool box or other seat so you have a stable platform

Put the controller on your knee/thing. Usually you can then use one hand pressing the controller against your leg to hold the key and press the launch button with one hand, video with the other. I’d say you did pretty good here, though.

I would like some more pics of the rocket.
No serious damage. The paper nc got wet on the grass and tore just a tiny bit. Glued back together already.
just for you then, couple of pics on the bench. i did a quick n dirty 3d print for a custom fin alignment ring, but it wasn't quite big enough for the fins, so it was more of a "fin alignment suggestion"

the tiki wrap drying. it's rolled around my dx3 payload section

IMG_20200409_075117996.jpgIMG_20200409_162835725.jpgIMG_20200406_201047424.jpg

Last edited:
You know this is just a really perfect small field sport rocket.

It's an original design. It looks like a relatively easy build. It has "fun" written all over it.

Although not hard to finish, the amount is perfect for the style of the rocket.

Seem to have a very nice flight with a pop at apogee and an easy recovery.

it's going to look great on the Shelf and it's a great small field flyer.

You should feel very proud of yourself.

You know this is just a really perfect small field sport rocket.
It's an original design. It looks like a relatively easy build. It has "fun" written all over it.
Although not hard to finish, the amount is perfect for the style of the rocket.
Seem to have a very nice flight with a pop at apogee and an easy recovery.

Hey, anybody want to kit it? Perfect for Fliskits. Or how about a Madcow upscale? Hmmm, 29mm MMT would be just about right with a 4" tube...

it's going to look great on the Shelf and it's a great small field flyer.

You should feel very proud of yourself.

Thank you for the kind words.

I was thinking more like shot size, 13mm power in a 24mm body, cardstock downscale:
(all cardstock except the wiper blade motor hook)

Dang. It's only been a few days and already I've got a cardstock downscale. Wow.

Seriously @GlenP ... I feel honored that someone liked it enough to make a copy. Cool feeling.

thank you! I hope it flies well. Don't forget that nose weight.

Yes, I usually fill the nose of these with about as much clay as will fit to be safe, then swing test them to make sure. Thanks for sharing your artwork and design, it has a really cool vibe. I put my lug on a stand-off. This would be about the right size to use an actual cocktail umbrella, I might see if I can find one. Motor hook is just flush with the bottom of the fins so it can stand upright.

688F55BB-07F1-4679-8C22-EF56188B86C8.jpeg

Thanks for sharing your artwork and design, it has a really cool vibe.
Just for the record... it's not my artwork, and probably copyrighted. I just found an image that would work well and stretched it to fit.
Motor hook is just flush with the bottom of the fins so it can stand upright.
Ah you did better than me. my little motor hook is sticking out about 1/8" too far making a bit of a wobble on the table.

thanks, there is definitely room for an internal lug between the BT5 and BT50. The little lug on the standoff there kind of looks like the Tiki man's own little tiki drink, from a certain point of view.

Thanks very much! Only needed about .25 oz clay in the nose, these are pretty light. I have not done a cardstock build in a while, this was a fun one. I guess I am a BAR, but hoping to make a full recovery, I like the Mylar bird repellent tape for streamers it is just as audible as it is visible on the way down. One foot of Kevlar, one foot of elastic cord, fold-over paper patch attachments in the nose shoulder and body tube. A little paper patch on the Kevlar at the tube exit for zipper prevention, the typical recovery stuff. Plenty of room in this 24mm tube. The 13mm min dia models are a challenge to get all that recovery stuff in there.

Attachments

• 4E36C060-B1B8-4398-8F2D-F7DA15E60150.jpeg
    4E36C060-B1B8-4398-8F2D-F7DA15E60150.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I like the Mylar bird repellent tape for streamers
I have a mylar space blanket that i cut up for streamers and bird repellent. One of those "oh wow" moments when I saw it. Only $2 at Dicks sporting goods few years ago.
I've got a tree of sweet cherries and the darn birds cleaned it out last year before I had a chance to get even one.
This year I'm ready.

1584838323856.jpg

UPDATE ... seems there's a small flaw in this design or maybe it's an engineering flaw in the construction.
The paper wrapper peeled at the fin attachment when it landed in a bush. The outside paper wrap is not really strong.
Probably needs to be trimmed away at the fin attachment points. The glue is strong on the paper, the paper is not strong.
ah well, I have more glue. It'll fly again.

IMG_0339.jpg

Yeah, probably should have trimmed the printed paper from the body tube where the fins were to be glued on.

Some might even recommend through the wall fins.

It’s easily repairable...or not if you so decide against it.

At least you have video of your launch.

Yeah, probably should have trimmed the printed paper from the body tube where the fins were to be glued on.

Some might even recommend through the wall fins.

It’s easily repairable...or not if you so decide against it.

The original post was really all about ... "I came up with this cool idea to put graphics on a rocket."
I did not foresee the inherent weakness of that outer layer. We learn by doing.
It's already been re-glued.
Yes, in the future... I would recommend either a ttw fin or trim off the outer layer at the fin joints before gluing for anyone else that might want to use a paper graphic.
It has flown about 5 times now, and I'm looking forward to quite a few more before it gets retired.

The original post was really all about ... "I came up with this cool idea to put graphics on a rocket."
I did not foresee the inherent weakness of that outer layer. We learn by doing.
It's already been re-glued.
Yes, in the future... I would recommend either a ttw fin or trim off the outer layer at the fin joints before gluing for anyone else that might want to use a paper graphic.
It has flown about 5 times now, and I'm looking forward to quite a few more before it gets retired.
I have a particular fascination for South Sea things. Folks lived on Guam for many years.

Neat rocket.

Back