OOP electronics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCoker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Prfesser's post made me think of out of production electronics that I've used:
  • Transolve: first unit I ever bought
  • Adept: wide range of useful products in reasonable sizes
  • AltAcc: first use of accelerometer and baro sensors
  • Olsen: first unit with a screen
  • AED R-DAS: more than 2 outputs plus daughter boards
  • G-Wiz: my go-to units for many years
Of all these, I miss G-Wiz the most. Their units did most everything you need and were (mostly) reliable.

Prfesser's post made me think of out of production electronics that I've used:
Of all these, I miss G-Wiz the most. Their units did most everything you need and were (mostly) reliable.

Concur. Someone should have purchase G-Wiz.

I never used any G-Wiz altimeters personally but I heard good things from lots of people.

We (me, my dad, and several TARC teams) used a PML AccuFire Staging Timer for many 2-stage flights which, according to this product listing, was made by G-Wiz and sold exclusively by PML. I'm sad I can't get a new one but the Altus Metrum EasyTimer is a worthy successor.

I used all of these back in the late 90s/early aughts. I used AltAccs the most and flew dual AltAccs on several rockets including my level 2 flight in 2002.
There's been a nearly-complete turnover in hobby rocketry electronics vendors since that time. Missile Works is still going strong—are there many others?

ASIDE: I'm looking for a copy of the latest version of the R-DAS software (RdasV42.zip). Archive.org doesn't have it and AED closed down in 2019. I have an R-DAS compact sitting in the basement that is craving some time aloft.

There's been a nearly-complete turnover in hobby rocketry electronics vendors since that time. Missile Works is still going strong—are there many others?
I think most are hobby businesses which people get tired of maintaining. MissileWorks is a well-run business and they seem to be able to keep going. The open source nature of AltusMetrum may mean someone else can pick up if the originators get burned out.

Adept products: ALTS2 ( first DD unit for me),
OBD2-50K first flight "computer"
ALTS 25 had many flight on multiple units.
Adept 22 used them till I found something better.

Cambridge Accelerometer IA x96
Olsen FCM-2 first one with an LCD display.

Cambridge Accelerometer IA x96
Olsen FCM-2 first one with an LCD display.
Thank you! I could not remember the name of the Cambridge device, though I owned and destroyed two of them early in my rocketry career. I think it was the first accelerometer-based altimeter. It would give you the thrust curve for the motor with much greater accuracy than the spring-loaded rotisserie-motor-powered Rube Goldberg mechanical thrust stand that my mentor used.

Best -- Terry

The problem was it was limited on recording on 32 sec up to apogee then would shut off. It ran the newer version of color windows DOS software.

Thank you! I could not remember the name of the Cambridge device, though I owned and destroyed two of them early in my rocketry career. I think it was the first accelerometer-based altimeter. It would give you the thrust curve for the motor with much greater accuracy than the spring-loaded rotisserie-motor-powered Rube Goldberg mechanical thrust stand that my mentor used.

Best -- Terry

Back