OOP Custom Satellite Drone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1400

Reaction score
I've got this Satellite drone kit from Custom that's out of production, and I'm wondering whether it's worth anything. I searched and found two EMRR reviews for it and a couple mentions of it in other places but only that it was flown at a meet or whatever. Since I couldn't find a whole lot on it and it's in the old packaging, I figured it either didn't sell much and could be a semi-collectors item, or everybody has one and they just never mention it.

Would it be worth hanging on to or isn't there any reason to think it might be special?

Peace :cool:

Mike

it's probably worth what you paid for it. I paid $10 for one.

it's a pretty cool kit. I like ring fin rockets and I like the decals. the silvery mylar chute is a winner. it has a lot of drag so flies slowly, nice show; but the solar panels always break off.

unfortunately the directions are just plain wrong in a couple places. the ring will not fit the fins as drawn. the fins are too small.

build it and fly it a few times and then retire it - it's an eyecatcher.

or else kit bash it in to something else.

I agree with Cliff on all accounts.

It's a good build and fun fly, slow off the pad. My kids enjoy it, it's easy to follow. I have reattached each solar panel more than once.

I had to add about 1/8" to each fin to take up the room between the fins and the ring, the rest is straight forward. Looks real nice finished.

There are 3 at a local hobby shop. Would be interesting to add a little Deuces Wild flavor to............;) HHHHMMMMMM..........I think I smell burning brain cells..........Christmas is just around the corner.....

Bob

Ugh.... solar panels. I ended up using 30 minute epoxy just because I got tired of gluing them back on. After that, one of my rocket cats thought the solar panels were kitty treats....

Custom made some cool kits around this time, but none of them seem to have really caught on in the collectors aftermarket. I've got a Stealth Interceptor and a Dynamic Carrier, but the Satellite Drone has been one that's eluded me thus far. There are also several others from this time period that I'd like to pick up whose names escape me now.

mtmind,

Before you build, maybe you can trace or Xerox the fin sheet, then you could save the instructions and (after you build) send them to JimZ to post in his library?

Nice to see this thread started. I had the exact same question regarding whether it is "collectible" or not. I forsee building it at some point in the future, but I also realize that if I never get around to building the kit it'll be nice to have it in the "archived/never-got-around-to-building-it" archive. :D I too know of a hobby shop that still has about 2 or 3 hanging on the walls. They're priced fairly decently at about $12.99 or so. Ah well, nice to own another piece of rocket history.

It sort of sad that the Custom Kits did not do better in the marketplace. I found the early kits to be very well done, I have built and still fly the Equinox, Stealth Interceptor and Aztec and really enjoy them.

You still see their level 1 kits all the time on ebay for very low prices. However the current lot of Custom kits do not have the same, ummm, insperation behind them.

Does anyone know if there are still in business or could all the kits on the ebay market be old stock?

Scott

I think Custom is still alive and kicking ..they have reciently put out some new designs including the Serin and the Anti-tank Weapon? sp<...

check them out here..https://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/tb_cus.htm

The sam X is one of those"set it and....forget it.....rockets"..
My record so far-I've lost 2 out of 2 upper stages

The Razor is one of my all time favorites for giving out to kids at launches. I can have one built and flying in under an hour. I kept a few in my range box for a while, but I've given them all away. Great performer and it looks great right out of the bag. (But I've got a soft spot for yellow and black rockets.)

Originally posted by stymye
I think Custom is still alive and kicking ..they have reciently put out some new designs including the Serin and the Anti-tank Weapon? sp<...

Unfortunately even the new rockets still don't have the same appeal as my all-time favorite Custom Land Viper. I will be snatching up their new designs however! :)

Only one C6-7 lit. It gained just enough altitude to make that tail first landing hard. It also knocked 4 of the 6 fins off (I didn't use epoxy fillets). I hadn't charged the battery in a while, I'm assuming it wasn't up to the job. Lesson learned.

Now I have the perfect start to a ranger/bertha.

I will definately rebuild!

Back