TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Bw491zv.jpg

Nice clustered motors!

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
You reminded me of a driving story from a few years ago:

I came a cross a gaggle of Skylines on morning on the 401.. about 12 of them.. some right hand drive, some left hand drive..

one was always in the go-fast lane, matching the others.. he would then flop into the right lane, and another would quickly take his place. like, they each took turns in the go-fast lane, but all stayed in the group. After about five minutes I knew what these guys were up to, being the short form of "Richard". After about 20 minutes of this, there was about a dozen or so other motorists wanting to get past these posterior orifices.. after about 30 minutes a little gold SUV was about to explode, he was jumping lanes, riding their bumpers really close, obviously really pissed! I was about to call the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) to ask them to punch a hole thru them.. If I recall, one did manage to get past them by passing on the shoulder..

after an hour or so, they finally got to their exit and left.

Some people are just sooo special, you want to reach out an hug them with your fists..

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
I've seen a few of these on the road lately. They get in the way of traffic and cause confusion. Usually 2 ridding next to each other blocking cars.
Just my experience, YMMV.
Right. I've only seen them on bicycle paths so far, but there's so many different kinds of ... "personal mobility devices" now and each town or city has different rules for each kind, so many riders are probably a bit lost (or obnoxious, but you can find some those in any situation).

- - - - -

BTW, to everyone, you can easily cheat on the "no text rule" by naming the file before posting it. Then, when a viewer scrolls over the photo with a cursor, the file name appears. Useful for identifying the kind car, place, etc.

Last edited:

Sandy H.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Awesome pic. Great band, Roy, George and Tom gone too early! I actually know very little about the individuals (who knows, they could have been bad people or angels, don't care) but the music they produced is amazing. Lots of good stuff in their solo careers as well, but they were lightning in a bottle as a group.

Sandy.

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Awesome pic. Great band, Roy, George and Tom gone too early! I actually know very little about the individuals (who knows, they could have been bad people or angels, don't care) but the music they produced is amazing. Lots of good stuff in their solo careers as well, but they were lightning in a bottle as a group.

Sandy.
George Harrison invented the charity single. Petty didn’t have a huge humanitarian streak but he made sure that jerkfaces weren’t allowed to use his music in their self-promotion, and he fought price increases in his releases.

Couldn’t find anything on Orbison but at least he wasn’t notorious.

MClark

Reaction score
Thunderbirds.
When I was in high school a friend gave me a ride home occasionally in a '57 that had not been restored or well taken care of. Was still cool.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
Reaction score

Darryl Greenameyer's heavily (understatement) modified Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat, "Conquest 1". In 1969, Greenameyer flew Conquest 1 to a new world speed record for propeller driven airplanes at a little over 486 mph.

This was the last of several paint jobs for this plane, the others much less imaginative, but to be honest, it is my least favorite. My favorite was when it was just plain white with a number and a few decals. It somehow was quite mysterious looking like that...

Greenameyer was a Lockheed test pilot that worked on the Blackbird program. When air racing was revived in America, he got a stock, surplus Navy Bearcat and, with the help of some of the guys at work, began modifications to add lightness, power, and clean up the aero. It ended up with several feet removed from the wingspan, a souped-up Pratt and Whitney R2800 engine (Never seen any numbers, but probably getting somewhere near 3000 hp), an Aeroproducts propeller from an AD Skyraider, prop spinner from a P-51 and a tiny little canopy that was so small Greenameyer couldn't even wear a helmet. It also lost its hydraulic and electrical systems entirely. Any electrical power was supplied by batteries and the gear was retracted using a high-pressure nitrogen tank and extended solely by gravity.

Greenameyer won the Unlimited class at the Reno Championship Air Races six times between 1965 and 1971, once more in 1977 in another radically modified warbird, this time a Mustang called Red Baron. He also managed to win four Reno championships (2002 - 2005) in the Sport division flying a Lancair Legacy. In 1977 Greenameyer set another low-level speed record, this time for jets, flying a Lockheed F-104 that he built himself from parts scrounged from various aviation salvage yards. His 988-mph record set in the F-104 (Also called Red Baron) still stands.

Darryl Greenameyer flew West on October 1, 2018 aged 82. He left a rather remarkable legacy that is well worth reading up on if you are at all an aviation buff.

Here are a few pics and a documentary on the record attempts:

Conquest 1 during the record attempt
1660866724502.png
And at Reno
1660866792345.png
Different schemes
1660867064539.png
1660867099209.png

Red Baron F-104
1660866309482.png
1660865967053.png

Video doc on the record attempts:

SkyFire

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Darryl Greenameyer's heavily (understatement) modified Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat, "Conquest 1". In 1969, Greenameyer flew Conquest 1 to a new world speed record for propeller driven airplanes at a little over 486 mph.

This was the last of several paint jobs for this plane, the others much less imaginative, but to be honest, it is my least favorite. My favorite was when it was just plain white with a number and a few decals. It somehow was quite mysterious looking like that...

Greenameyer was a Lockheed test pilot that worked on the Blackbird program. When air racing was revived in America, he got a stock, surplus Navy Bearcat and, with the help of some of the guys at work, began modifications to add lightness, power, and clean up the aero. It ended up with several feet removed from the wingspan, a souped-up Pratt and Whitney R2800 engine (Never seen any numbers, but probably getting somewhere near 3000 hp), an Aeroproducts propeller from an AD Skyraider, prop spinner from a P-51 and a tiny little canopy that was so small Greenameyer couldn't even wear a helmet. It also lost its hydraulic and electrical systems entirely. Any electrical power was supplied by batteries and the gear was retracted using a high-pressure nitrogen tank and extended solely by gravity.

Greenameyer won the Unlimited class at the Reno Championship Air Races six times between 1965 and 1971, once more in 1977 in another radically modified warbird, this time a Mustang called Red Baron. He also managed to win four Reno championships (2002 - 2005) in the Sport division flying a Lancair Legacy. In 1977 Greenameyer set another low-level speed record, this time for jets, flying a Lockheed F-104 that he built himself from parts scrounged from various aviation salvage yards. His 988-mph record set in the F-104 (Also called Red Baron) still stands.

Darryl Greenameyer flew West on October 1, 2018 aged 82. He left a rather remarkable legacy that is well worth reading up on if you are at all an aviation buff.

Here are a few pics and a documentary on the record attempts:

Conquest 1 during the record attempt
View attachment 533166
And at Reno
View attachment 533167
Different schemes
View attachment 533168
View attachment 533169

Red Baron F-104
View attachment 533165
View attachment 533164

Video doc on the record attempts:

Great write up on Darryl Greenamyer!

My good friend, Ray Basek, was on the USS Cowpens in WWII in the South Pacific. His job was to fold the wings of the Hellcats after they landed. They lost a number of men to deck crashes and kamikaze attacks. Ray had several close calls. After the war Ray joined the newly formed US Air Force. That's where he met Darryl. Ray was a C47 crew chief and later joined the ANG and was a crew chief on the F-100.
Ray helped Darryl with his Bearcat at Reno for a couple of years.
He said one thing they tried was to strip all the hydraulics from the plane to save weight. They could get the gear up and down but didn't have flaps. The plane was faster than all the others but was too fast to land at Reno without flaps. One of the rules was that you had to take off and land from the Reno airport.

Greenamyer also led the expedition to recover the B-29 Kee Bird which had landed on the Greenland ice cap some 50 years earlier. There's a great video of that mission.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
Reaction score
Yeah, as I recall the first year at Reno the pilots were all required to take off and land at "Sky Ranch" where the races were actually held, but Sky Ranch had a rather short, dirt runway.

Greenameyer tried a landing there, but decided it wasn't safe and had to land at Reno Municipal. He won the race but was DQed for landing at a different airport. The next year the racers were allowed to operate out of Reno...

Man, Kee Bird was a heartbreaker!!

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
What a strange case of deja vu that was. These 2:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...comments-or-text.166564/page-215#post-2312879

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...comments-or-text.166564/page-215#post-2312880

are almost the same as these 2:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...comments-or-text.166564/page-214#post-2312488

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...comments-or-text.166564/page-214#post-2312369

Edit: One Corvette repetition I get, but adding to that the SLS repetition by 2 different people, happening at the same time as the Corvette's? That made me go off rails for about 14 seconds.

Last edited:

hobie1dog

Subaholic
Reaction score
there's no doubt that I likely repeat things as I just go from the oldest to newest photos I have in my imgur account, and with advancing age, I have Senior Moments.