ONLY Post comments or text for "Post a Picture (no comments or text)"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

prfesser

Reaction score
About as aerodynamic as a garage door.
Back when I had a 72 VW bus I read an online book from a guy for whom the Bus was more or less a religion. He claimed that the (measured) coefficient of drag of the Bus was actually quite low. Don't recall the actual value but whatever it was, it surprised me. So that shape may not look very aerodynamic but it may be better than it appears.

MClark

Reaction score
1914 Excelsior, no clutch, no brakes, no transmission.
Second place in the 2010 Cannonball Run.
This was one of the newer vehicles we saw last night.

OverTheTop

Reaction score

Plitvice Lakes, Croatia. Walked about 20km there one day, around 2BC (before covid). I think there are seven or nine different levels and waterfalls between them all. At one point I said to my wife "If you listen carefully you can almost not hear a waterfall".

OverTheTop

Reaction score
Hmmm....looks faked somehow. Couldn't be, though; they didn't have Photoshop back in the Wild West days.
I am thinking someone with awesome modelling skills, a lot of time on their hands and a few friends. Could even be a really old photo from way back when, with a fabricated Pteradactyl. They had jokers back then too.

Cape Byron

The BAR formerly known as Skippy-2
Reaction score
I am thinking someone with awesome modelling skills, a lot of time on their hands and a few friends. Could even be a really old photo from way back when, with a fabricated Pteradactyl. They had jokers back then too.

I can't believe you people are questioning this photograph! It's obviously as real as the news on your televisions. 🤠

cw-triceratops.jpg

Buzzard

Reaction score
#5,267: Polish Mig-21, not an English Electric Lightening. The former is a single engine while the Lightening has two placed one over the other. The Mig-21 might be the upgraded Lancer version with Western avionics.
Nice pic, though.

Chas

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
Reaction score
#5,267: Polish Mig-21, not an English Electric Lightening. The former is a single engine while the Lightening has two placed one over the other. The Mig-21 might be the upgraded Lancer version with Western avionics.
Nice pic, though.

Chas
Polish, yes, but that is a Sukhoi Su-17...

They are very similar and hard to differentiate, especially the earlier versions of the Mig.

Su-17
1654089900087.png
MiG-21
1654090021881.png

Huxter

Reaction score

2 different types of Stealth fighters pictured here. Can you spot the differences? IE 1 cockpit is far better looking! :)

What does the "HL" stand for on the tail fin? We have both of these fighters at Hill AFB. We rarely see the Utah Raptors! I watch the Lightings every day tho - Captain "Beo" Wolfe is especially great to watch! 😍 Best tail walker there is!

Last edited:

prfesser

Reaction score

Beautiful rainbows! You can see the secondary, rather faint, outside the primary. Fun fact: a second rainbow always has the colors reversed, because optics. :)

I didn't know that there are 3rd and 4th order rainbows but they're very difficult to see because they're close to the sun, rather than opposite it.

Used to live in eastern KY. Cumberland Falls in Corbin was just half an hour away. We occasionally went on a good clear night with full moon; a moonbow was visible at the falls.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score

Beautiful rainbows! You can see the secondary, rather faint, outside the primary. Fun fact: a second rainbow always has the colors reversed, because optics. :)

I didn't know that there are 3rd and 4th order rainbows but they're very difficult to see because they're close to the sun, rather than opposite it.

Used to live in eastern KY. Cumberland Falls in Corbin was just half an hour away. We occasionally went on a good clear night with full moon; a moonbow was visible at the falls.
and the higher you go / the higher your vantage point the more of a circle you will see.

Living in Vancouver, BC, I often travelled the 'Sea to Sky' highway (in the mountains, on the coast) and at a high enough elevation, the rainbows make an almost circle due to the road being much higher, and open to the sea..

mach7

Reaction score
When did 47V lose the wheel skirts?

Were you flying one of the 3 Cessnas?

KC3KNM

Probably Wrong
Reaction score
When did 47V lose the wheel skirts?

Were you flying one of the 3 Cessnas?
Not sure when they took them off or if they were removed before we got 74V, but we don’t seem to keep the wheel skirts on any of our aircraft at work. There’s a lot of grass strips up here and I don’t know if they’re worth the headache.

Nope, just hanging out in the back seat. :)

OverTheTop

Reaction score

I believe the first rainbow is due to the light entering the water droplets and bouncing twice before exiting. That gives a particular angle of refraction and creates to main rainbow. The second rainbow is the result of four bounces inside the water drops and gives a different angle.

hobie1dog

Subaholic
Reaction score
the Mcdonnell Douglas C-17 plane lifting off could have been one of the ones I helped build. We did the fixed leading edge and I worked on the one that butted up to the fuselage.

Last edited:

teepot

Reaction score
Post 5340. The C 17 taking off. At the Delamar dry lake bed where we fly once a year. The AF has had exercises where they land C 130's and C 17's and helicopters. You can see the tracks in the lake bed. One time some of the group was there overnight. The AF guys told them to stay where they were. They had a ring side seat of the goings on. I wonder if this photo is from there.