ONLY Post comments or text for "Post a Picture (no comments or text)"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

TSMILLER

Reaction score

Does anyone know the name of the manufacturer or model name/number for this chair?
I believe you are looking for this one. A little out of my budget range.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
Reaction score
That is an Eames chair from the '60s. It is a very iconic piece of mid-century modern furniture. Originals are going for ridiculous prices, but there are repops that are much more reasonable. A search will turn up a bunch of options!

Ha, TSMiller just pipped me to it! I have a friend who inherited an original from the original owner. One of the most comfortable chairs to ever host my backside!

John Kemker

Reaction score
Definitely out of my budget, too!

I'll look for some of the repops. I've been considering the IKEA POÄNG w/ottoman for my listening room, but the Eames looks WAY more comfy.

MClark

Reaction score
3426, Me-109
What are the large cartridges on his boot?
Signal flares?
Start cartridges?
Or?

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
Reaction score
I wondered the same. My thought was flares due to the different sizes and that they looked kinda big for starter cartridges. Besides, it seems to me that Caufman starters were largely an American thing, and as I recall, most, if not all, Me109s had manual/electrical inertia starters.

Now I need to look it up...

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
#3474 Trees along I-35 north of OKC on the way up to Argonia 1/16/22. The fog froze in the tips of the branches, making them look like they had broken out in buds.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
#3502 one of the worst case gas's I've ever seen.

hball55

Reaction score
#11. No no no, this is not Space X, the pointy end is not supposed to be oriented that way.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
Reaction score

Athol Grahm's City of Salt Lake, 1960.

Grahm was a Salt Lake garage owner who built this car on a pretty tight budget to take a crack at the land speed record (394 mph at the time).

He used a surplus Allison V-1710 V-12 engine, a rear axle from a big truck and a lot of odds and ends from the shop to build the car. The body was built from an old drop tank, cut in half lengthwise, then cut into front and back halves to form the four corners, with sheet metal between the curvy bits (Looks like an F-80 tip tank to me, but that's just a guess). The windscreen and canopy were from a B model P-51 Mustang! The car first ran in 1959 and was overhauled for an official attempt at the record in 1960.

In 1960 there were several challengers lined up to try and top the 394 record, including Mickey Thompson and Donald Campbell. Graham was the first to go. After a few runs to test things out and make sure everything was working properly, Grahm accelerated away for an official record attempt. At what was estimated to be right around 300 mph, the car slewed sideways and lifted off, coming down upside down a tumbling over several times. Unfortunately Graham would lose his life in the accident.

That isn't the end of the story though, because a young Salt Lake mechanic called Otto Anzjon, with the blessings of Graham's widow, rebuilt the car to take his own stab at the record. The car crashed a second time, but Anzjon survived the accident and after recovering from his injuries, set about rebuilding the car a second time. Otto Anzjon was lost to cancer before he could have another go, and the car sat in storage until several years ago when Graham's son restored the car back to its original 1961 configuration and livery, as seen in the pic.

(I guess this post would be sufficient evidence to convict me in a court of law of being a hopeless, unrepentant Land Speed record dweeb...)

A couple of more pics...

On the salt in 1959:
1642822135097.png

Athol Graham with City of Salt Lake, 1960:
1642822364664.png

Last edited:

Cape Byron

The BAR formerly known as Skippy-2
Reaction score

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
Reaction score
Yup, ridin' pillion with "The Goose"!!!

That cameraman had stones of steel. He also got some incredible footage!

(Loved the boiks in that movie, BTW...)

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
@Hyak that is Montreal's City hall, and the famed place St Jacques in Old Montreal & the Nelson Monument. in about 1890 / 1901

All the shots are from the turn of the century, mainly downtown Montreal; St. Catherine street & such. A lot of teh shots were taken by a famed photographer, named WIlliam Notman, and are a part of Montreal McCord Museum.

For those that may not know, Montreal is one of N/ America's oldest cities, established initially in 1642. So, it has quite the history! "Old Montreal" has building not quite that old, but old enough, that battlements can still be found here n there..