ONLY Post comments or text for "Post a Picture (no comments or text)"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

TSMILLER

Reaction score
You would think that he could at least rev it up to 2000 rpm or so instead of nothing but an idle video
Break in period?…. But I agree it would be something to hear. Just as I love the sounds and feeling of the R4360, I‘ll bet this one sounds just as awesome.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
#2945:
Circa 1965: Islands created in the St. Laurence River, from discarded dirt & rubble from making Montreal's subway {Metro} to be turned into Expo 67 / man and his world, and then into the Gilles Villeneuve F1 race track

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Addict
Reaction score
All the second generation Corvette pictures leads to a deeper state of depression for me as looking back on my life you know that should've, could've, would've routine ....in 1972 I could've bought one, took out a four year loan which would've gone by so quick.😰

bronicabill

Reaction score
Picture #2981: I put a "Love" on this one as I'd LOVE to find a decent Opal GT like this to restore! Back in the early 1970's, one of my cousins in Dallas had one, and it was so much freakin' fun to race around in. I also consider it one of my all-time favorite 2-seat sports cars, based mostly on it's appearance. To me, it looks like a scaled-up slot car from my childhood days of the 1960's!

Cape Byron

The BAR formerly known as Skippy-2
Reaction score
Picture #2981: I put a "Love" on this one as I'd LOVE to find a decent Opal GT like this to restore!
It's gorgeous, isn't it? A dream find for someone.

I remember them initially from Get Smart - Every car used in the opening title was brilliant. Karmann Ghia, Opel GT, Sunbeam Tiger.

I'd have one of each if I had the money and space.

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The load on those tires made me think of Dad's old 1950-51 ChevyNational pickup. Built from the front of a Chevy and the back of an International, cobbled together by older brother who was clearly out of his element. :) Large hole in the dash, with wires strewn about, where a radio might have gone. Gave an hellish screech of protest at any speed over 45 mph. Steering needed lots of work that it never got. But we loaded that sucker with two and a half tons of wet lime and hauled it 50 miles home. Still, with that steering...I was never so glad when younger brother admitted that he'd poured some fine abrasive from a telescope mirror kit into the carburetor. After which the truck moved no more.

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Cape Byron

The BAR formerly known as Skippy-2
Reaction score
I think the F40 is pretty close. :)
Close. ish.

I just love cars with a feminine shape. The 246 Dino is the peak of that for me. Why? Dunno. It just is.

Same with motorcycles. The Triumph (really a BSA) X-75 Hurricane is (to me) the most beautiful shape ever on two wheels.

I can talk about this stuff all night. Who bought the Irish whisky? :)

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
Reaction score
1639357121995.png

Craig Breedlove's English Leather rocket dragster (Obviously...)

This car was originally designed to be powered by several different sizes of AMC piston engines for attempts at various classes of wheel driven land speed records. Breedlove nixed those plans and decided to install a rocket engine as a prototype for a new land speed record car. It was originally sponsored by a candied popcorn snack called Screaming Yellow Zonkers (used to love that stuff as a kid!), but that deal fell through and was replaced by English Leather after shave as the main sponsor.

Unlike all of the other rocket dragsters of the time that were using hydrogen peroxide monopropellant engines, Breedlove used a TRW designed, bi-propellant engine that burned UDMH and nitrogen tetroxide hypergolic propellants. :oops:

Unlike the H2O2 powered cars that would shoot off the line with not much more than a loud high pitched hiss, this thing exploded away from the start with a deafening roar, twenty feet of bright orange flame and a wave of searing heat. One Breedlove associate I got to talk to said that after one pass several women in the crowd were so frightened by it they were actually crying! Needless to say, the insurance companies that covered NHRA sanctioned tracks and events had largely the same reaction.

Threatened with denial of insurance coverage if the car were run, Breedlove's rocket was banned by the NHRA.

It would have been fun to see what it could have done. The potential was incredible...

Here's a pic of it leaving the line in Screaming Yellow Zonker colors:
1639359268156.png

Last edited:

Igotnothing

Reaction score

I'm going to Micheals to buy white smoke-trail stuff. My wife will hate me and laugh at the same time.

Latest posts