The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoeB

NAR 86151 L1 - 2006, L2 - 2007, L3 - 2008
Reaction score
Hi All - years ago the Delorie online shroud calculator worked like a champ on the Windows computers I use at home and work. I've tried to do some shrouds today with it and the New Century Rocketry web version and the pdf / png results are showing up across two pages. In other words, the resulting graphic is not justifying itself to the bottom of the resulting page to be printed but rather is centered.

What gives?

Are there browser settings I can change to fix this issue?

Links below are to the two sites I mention, and screen shots from the Delorie site for a shroud 1.124" top diameter, 1.352" bottom diameter and 1.32298" long. Such a shroud should easily fit the 8x10" output page.

https://www.delorie.com/rockets/transitions.html

https://rocketry.newcenturycomputers.net/shroudcalc.html

Delorie1.jpg Delorie2.jpg Delorie3.jpg

Any ideas will be most welcome.

Thanks Moe

Last edited:
I can relate Moe. I really don't like the way any thing out there works. VCP had a really good shroud maker that would produce even those oversized patterns I use now and then. XP was the last version it worked on. "VCP!!! If you're listening, you still have fans out here."

I can relate Moe. I really don't like the way any thing out there works. VCP had a really good shroud maker that would produce even those oversized patterns I use now and then. XP was the last version it worked on. "VCP!!! If you're listening, you still have fans out here."
Thanks for the reply Gary. Is there something in the browser code these days that causes these programs to react the way they do re: the output?

I would have surely given you that info if I knew it. I've wondered for years why these programs were so finicky. I have had some success but of the 4 programs I have links for, I can't remember which one I used last. Sure wasted a lot of paper when I generated an oversized shroud for my APRO Lander. I'll toy with it in the morning and see which one worked the best. I'm using WIN 7 presently.

ping!

I've never *gulp* used VCPs program that I know of...or have I? Not sure...

I've never *gulp* used VCPs program that I know of...or have I? Not sure...
I personally know a dozen people that thought VCP had the best shroud program available. It was easy to work with and you didn't have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it set up. Plus, I could send it to Acrobat Pro and work the pages to my liking. IE: Turn a 6 page diagram into two pages, yadda yadda. Then print to scale. Fingers crossed!

I have a file called "Paper Cone". It's an old Apogee program that I can't seem to locate online anymore. I'll send it via messenger since it wont upload here.

I have a Perl shroud generator that outputs a PNG, cropped to the shroud itself. You can center it on a page as needed. It's the same one I use to calculate cuts for when tubes intersect transitions. Simple but does the job.

Unfortunately I'm having no luck running the script on my Mac right now, some weird problem with pkg-config.

Script is on Dropbox. No command line interface, for now you just have to edit the script and enter the parameters. GD module must be installed. I should probably re-write this in Javascript so it'd be easy to distribute. Will put that on my todo list.

When things went south here in the '90's I had an unfinished program that would do the same shrouds, plus generate templates for any angle/offset of tube intersections. Other stuff too. The old XP PC that had it is sitting here. Might break it out and see if it can be done in something like Python. I've been needing to learn Python anyway.

When things went south here in the '90's I had an unfinished program that would do the same shrouds, plus generate templates for any angle/offset of tube intersections. Other stuff too. The old XP PC that had it is sitting here. Might break it out and see if it can be done in something like Python. I've been needing to learn Python anyway.

That would be some great tools for us scratch builders to have. I love the fact we have so many talented programmers and stuff here on TRF.

Now, does Scott Bryce ever pop in here on TRF, I would love to see his parachute gore pattern tool updated to allow larger than 11×17 .pdf's.

Last edited:
Have you tried this one?
https://www.payloadbay.com/page-Tools.html
View attachment 361790
or this one

https://www.blocklayer.com/cone-patternseng.aspx

https://www.templatemaker.nl/cone

Failing that, you've got the dimensions from the Delorie tool -- you could do the construction with a compass and protractor.

Or you could take the .png files into Photoshop or Gimp and stitch them together.

edit: wrong link - cut and paste error

I actually bought a beam protractor at Lowe's on Saturday for just this purpose...thinking along the same lines. Thanks for the additional links.

Last edited:
Back