Online RS/OR Substitute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I searched for an all online OR/RS-like design simulation tool. Didn't find one. does anybody know one that's good for more than 3FNC?

People keep talking about ThrustCurve's simulations, but all I can find there is even less than 3FNC. You enter the body diameter, dry mass, and motor mount dimensions and get results. Is there something else at ThrustCurve that I'm missing?

People keep talking about ThrustCurve's simulations, but all I can find there is even less than 3FNC. You enter the body diameter, dry mass, and motor mount dimensions and get results. Is there something else at ThrustCurve that I'm missing?
Nope its a very basic sim thats generally "close enough" to select motors and delay lengths.

Yeah, unlike RS/OR where you enter all of the details of a rocket for it to compute the mass and drag, with TC you just input those values directly. I've sometimes had to enter rather surprising (to me) Cd values, but I've always been able to get TC & OR to agree with each other, and at that point I get TC sims that have matched actual flights just like OR. So it's much more convenient when you walk into a vendor's trailer and are wondering how the motors they have in stock will fly on various rockets, etc.

Indeed, the TC sims sound very useful. But what I'm looking for is something that lets me do some design during my lunch hour, where I'm not allowed to install RS or OR on my company owned computer. And TC, obviously, doesn't even try to provide that.

I don't expect anything online to be as good as RS or OR, but I'm looking for better than the one or two I've seen that allow only changing fin size (not shape) of the three or four fins, body length, and (conical only) nose length. Those are fine for teaching the very basic ideas of stability (which is all they are intended for) but no good for any sort of design, even rough starts.

So I guess you'd call what I'm looking for "OR Lite" as a web app.

But what I'm looking for is something that lets me do some design during my lunch hour, where I'm not allowed to install RS or OR on my company owned computer

^ First world problems.

There are 4 actively-supported software dedicated to the niche hobby of model rocketry: OR, RS, TC, RAII. 3 are free, and the 4th is not unreasonable. 3 employ pretty sophisticated models and the 4th is damn efficient. That's pretty good in my book.

^ First world problems.

There are 4 actively-supported software dedicated to the niche hobby of model rocketry: OR, RS, TC, RAII. 3 are free, and the 4th is not unreasonable. 3 employ pretty sophisticated models and the 4th is damn efficient. That's pretty good in my book.
The fourth is free too, you just have to request a link to dowload it.

I also wish there was a good web-based 6DOF full-fidelity sim that did not require an installed client. As a TARC mentor I've had to fight the battle with getting anything installed on school computers, and nothing except TC really works on a tablet or phone. All of the existing sims were designed in an era when clientless was not really feasible, but it's totally doable now (source: have done satellite orbit sims professionally and a few incarnations of a 6-axis rocket sim). That said, I think ThrustCurve is incredibly handy for waiver-checking rocket/motor combos and setting motor delays.

^ First world problems.
Well, I'm lucky enough to live in the first world. Not sorry.
There are 4 actively-supported software dedicated to the niche hobby of model rocketry: OR, RS, TC, RAII.
Ah, what is this RAII you speak of? All I get from Google is "RAII (Resource Acquisition Is Initialization)", a programming topic. (And that's with adding "rockets" to the search.)

Yeah, RAII doesn't meet your desires, either. Need to install it on a computer. It may have the best Cd and CP models, but it is the least user-friendly of the 4, IMO. English units - Blech!

Back