One place to put Rocksim 10.2 crashes/glitches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I am opening this thread to provide a place for people to post any glitches in Rocksim 10.2. Most of what issues I had with 10.1 are resolved. However...

I've been seeing random crashes when manipulating pods and their location. Lost 20 mins of work due to that one.

A second glitch is this: I can work up a rocket, and it runs simulated flights just fine. I save the file, replacing the earlier version with the new version (overwrote it). I later open Rocksim and try to do more simulated launches, and now it won't launch, nada.

It also happens when I try to run an older file, one that worked fine before. So its not the files, its the program itself.

It would be REALLY REALLY nice if Rocksim would tell you what the problem is so you can fix it. Noooo, I have to go back to a previous version, re-do the changes AGAIN, just to get a file that runs correctly. And maybe it'll run again in the future, maybe it won't. FIX THIS ASAP!

Last edited:
I've got another crash to report: while changing the sweep on a fin, the program crashed. I also had 2 crashes while working with pods. Maybe these are areas that need attention.

Rocksim randomly crashes often after just using it to run simulations when I go to open the next .rkt file. You should get prompted to save the open file and the prompt doesn't come, the program just dies. That smells like a memory management issue to me.

I am randomly still seeing red X no launches. I get a rocket that previously launched (have saved launch data), all of a sudden won't launch. I can sometimes get it to work by exiting the program and starting up again, but it frequently takes multiple attempts to get it to work.

I mentioned this to Apogee, and their reply was that I wasn't setting something up, or that something was not done correctly. Well gee. The program has effectively zero feeback as to what is wrong with the design/parts/materials so even after spending about 20 minutes reviewing all the parts, materials, dimensions, etc, and making a few minor tweaks, still no launch. I load up a different rocket file, works fine, go back to the "problematic one", still doesn't work. Get frustrated, walk away, restart the program and load up the "problematic" file and now it works.

I don't care what the guy at Apogee says, when the error happens with files other people have done, and randomly comes and goes, it isn't user error. I pretty much didn't see this in V9. Maybe all the tinkering by the new programmer broke something? I still occasionally get the "crossed lines" error, when there are only 6 plan points on a custom fin, and the program shows all 6 of them. So where's the crossed lines?

I cannot fathom how the guy stays in business, as gruff and unhelpful as he is with his customers.

If someone wants to stare at this file and see where it might be wrong, feel free, I'd really appreciate it. I can't find anything wrong.

Attachments

• v1.0 bt50 rear fin engines with shortened fins (3).rkt
    116.4 KB · Views: 16
Something to try would be to make a copy of the .rkt file before starting the program and then diff the files after shutting down the program. Check for both cases: where you do save the file explicitly and where you don't save the file on exit. Take a look at what gets changed in the files (they are text files). See if something is changing that seems odd.

Agree that error messages like "Can't do xxx" are useless - at least give us some idea what the malfunction is...

At least it runs for you. I can't get it to launch anything

I asked for my RS 9 back......no answers......

I wish they would come up with a "Revert to Rocksim 9" option. I'd use that one. RS 10 stinks.
until they either fix RS10 or allow me to revert to 9, I'm not buying ANYTHING else from Apogee

I am randomly still seeing red X no launches. I get a rocket that previously launched (have saved launch data), all of a sudden won't launch. I can sometimes get it to work by exiting the program and starting up again, but it frequently takes multiple attempts to get it to work.

I mentioned this to Apogee, and their reply was that I wasn't setting something up, or that something was not done correctly. Well gee. The program has effectively zero feeback as to what is wrong with the design/parts/materials so even after spending about 20 minutes reviewing all the parts, materials, dimensions, etc, and making a few minor tweaks, still no launch. I load up a different rocket file, works fine, go back to the "problematic one", still doesn't work. Get frustrated, walk away, restart the program and load up the "problematic" file and now it works.

I don't care what the guy at Apogee says, when the error happens with files other people have done, and randomly comes and goes, it isn't user error. I pretty much didn't see this in V9. Maybe all the tinkering by the new programmer broke something? I still occasionally get the "crossed lines" error, when there are only 6 plan points on a custom fin, and the program shows all 6 of them. So where's the crossed lines?

I cannot fathom how the guy stays in business, as gruff and unhelpful as he is with his customers.

If someone wants to stare at this file and see where it might be wrong, feel free, I'd really appreciate it. I can't find anything wrong.

Nice design!! I played around with it in RS-10 (never downloaded the upgrades) and never will, loaded up a bunch of motors works just fine.

rcktnut, thanks. I'm waiting on the paint to dry before putting on decals. Its going to be a beauty. :)

I am running RockSim 10.2.0f37.

First try, none of the simulations worked.
Second try, remove the pods and the simulations run (after replacing the unknown motors)
Third try, restored the pods and unchecked the "This pod can be ejected during simulations." option on each pod and the simulations ran.

... maybe a clue?

Kalsow,
Good idea. I unchecked that on all the pods on not only this design but on another design I'm working on. Sims ran a few times, then when I restarted the program whammo, the dreaded red X, no launch.

I have no idea what that option does, but it seems to be on by default.

Edit... I tried your idea of removing the pods and I didn't restart the program. I removed a pod at a time and tried to launch, no luck, until I removed the third pod, and then it would launch. I then added pods one at a time, trying to launch after each pod was added, and was still able to launch after adding one, two, or all 3 pods. Weird.

I loaded the program up again, started to delete the pods, after removing pod 2 it'd launch. Put it back, still launches.

Loaded it up again, no launch. Deleted pod 2, now it launches. :( Freaking weird.

Last edited:
Generally just a lurker on this forum. But this is a sore subject that I would like to get resolved.

I crash everytime I add a new body tube and hit cancel instead of adding. I also crash randomly doing other things I have not isolated yet.

I get red x launches on .rkt files downloaded from apogee's website. I have added nothing to the program, base install.

Would love to go back to 9. It seems like 10 just removed all the features that made the software good and didnt add anything hen threw in some serious bugs.

Last edited:
Besides the program crashing a lot more than before, I am having two other problems. 1) When creating custom fins, I can no longer input y axis coordinates; first off, I have to right-click in the y axis box to even get to enter anything, but then when I hit the decimal point, the cursor jumps to the x axis box, keeping me from inputting fractions.
2) On rockets where I add an inside tube to the already entered motor tube (adapter i.e. 54/38), the sim will no longer run and the program locks up, and I have to close the program. I have had to remove the inside tube (motor adapter) and just add the weight of the adapter as mass.

2) On rockets where I add an inside tube to the already entered motor tube (adapter i.e. 54/38), the sim will no longer run and the program locks up, and I have to close the program. I have had to remove the inside tube (motor adapter) and just add the weight of the adapter as mass.

That is what I have been doing when using an adaptor (say 24mm motor tube, using an 18mm motor).

I am opening this thread to provide a place for people to post any glitches in Rocksim 10.2. Most of what issues I had with 10.1 are resolved. However...

I've been seeing random crashes when manipulating pods and their location. Lost 20 mins of work due to that one.

Me too, I had nearly the entire rocket built in Rocksim, with only the fins left to do, and the program crashed without anything being saved. I have had to resort to doing frequent saves as I enter each new part, to avoid losing the work I have done.

Very good idea. The program isn't the most stable, but don't bother telling Tim at Apogee about it. He'll say its YOUR fault.

Well, glad I never got around to "upgrading" from Rocksim 9...looks like I will hold off now.

Me too, I had nearly the entire rocket built in Rocksim, with only the fins left to do, and the program crashed without anything being saved. I have had to resort to doing frequent saves as I enter each new part, to avoid losing the work I have done.

As a fella who has used CAD programs, since 1982, I learned early on to be OCD about saving your work.

The biggest learning curve, from drawing on a drafting board, to drawing in CAD, is that your work can be lost, in an instant.

As a fella who has used CAD programs, since 1982, I learned early on to be OCD about saving your work.

The biggest learning curve, from drawing on a drafting board, to drawing in CAD, is that your work can be lost, in an instant.

I like those programs that save your work automatically, based on a time frame you (the user) sets . . . I like every thirty seconds but would accept once a minute.

Besides the program crashing a lot more than before, I am having two other problems. 1) When creating custom fins, I can no longer input y axis coordinates; first off, I have to right-click in the y axis box to even get to enter anything, but then when I hit the decimal point, the cursor jumps to the x axis box, keeping me from inputting fractions.

I contacted Apogee about my problems with the y-axis box when creating fins and today got a reply from Brendan Campbell in Customer Service. He told me to double left-click in the y-axis box and I should be able to enter numbers with decimals . . . he was right! PROBLEM SOLVED

My problem with entering motor adapters and having the sim freeze when I run a launch . . . Brendan gave me a link to a video Tim made regarding motor adapters. I haven’t watched it yet, but will report the results after viewing the video. Viewed the video and Tim enters the motor adapter as mass, since it’s an inside tube and doesn’t add to drag it makes perfect sense. Adding the motor adapter as mass is how I worked around the problem too, so I suppose I already solved my own problem. I still like how I originally entered the motor adapter as an inside tube because when I go to enter a motor, it showed both motor mounts and I could choose my motor by clicking on the smaller motor mount and only see that diameter of motors, rather than having to click on “exact size motors and smaller.” Having to scroll through all the smaller motors to get to the size I want is a pain, though admittedly a minor one. PROBLEM SOLVED VIA A WORKAROUND.

Nothing about the frequent crashes, but they are supposed to be working on that problem.

Last edited:
When a file craps out and won't run the sims, I will load a good file I have like the Estes Alpha, run the sim, and then go back to the file which was giving me problems, for some reason it will work again. Anything else dosn't work, computer restarts, re-loads, etc. This crash happens sometimes with old Rocksim files I've downloaded.

Back