One of the truly good guys needs our help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is John the guy that launched the 'Shockwave' Lance Beta @ Mini Midwest Power?

My heart goes out to John. I had a motor cycle accident when I was 17 and scraped off 20-30 percent of my skin, 5% 3rd degree. It wasn't fire, but they were picking gravel out of my limbs for hours. I understand the healing process. It's extremely painful. Hang in there, man.

I want to thank everyone who has helped so far .
We raised over $1000 last week for John and his family with your help .
This week we are going to have a raffle to benefit them.

Raffle to benefit injured rocketeer John Williams​
Wildman Hobbies is having a Raffle to benefit one of our fellow rocketeers. John Williams suffered 3rd degree burns on 15-20% of his body.
John and his family are going to need financial help.
We are raffling off some of Johns favorite Wildman kits .
Cherokee 98
Lance Beta
2.6 Goblin
along with a Blackhawk 38 donated by David Schwantz
Raffle tickets are only $10 each
The Winning entries will be drawn on Friday August 6th
With the prizes being sent out the following week​
Tim, I would like to donate for John. What is the procedure for getting raffle tickets? What method of payment?

Thanks,

Stew

His wife Joy posted this on Facebook:
“ Hi all, very happy to share that John has been doing really well the last few days! His surgeon was able to evaluate him over the weekend and is very happy with the leg grafts. The surgery for debridement and graft on his left arm was just scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

John is also doing well in PT and has worked up to being able to walk 2 laps around the nurses' station, mostly unassisted. Of course some days are better than others, but he's sounding more like himself these days. He deeply appreciates the visits he's had this week, it's been really good to talk to friends.

Continuing to hold the fort down at home, with family support; trying to get some home maintenance done before John comes home, and trying to make the most of the end of summer. Took the boys to the aquarium twice this week and we touched All the Things and fed the stingrays. Extensive piggyback rides from Uncle Charles were instrumental in the success of Sunday's trip, after Gabriel declared he was *done* about 30 minutes in. Thank you everyone for the continued support and well wishes!”

I just got home from seeing John.
He is still in the ICU burn unit .
They think he might be able to leave the ICU next week and go to physical rehab facility .
His sprits seam to be up and taking it day by day, but it is really hard on him.
He is reading this and social media and thanks you all for the kind words, prayers and wishes.
I talked him into drawing the 4 wining tickets of the raffle .
Claude Maina won the Cherokee 98
Donald Cosgrove won the Lance Beta
Doug Garcia won the 2.6 Goblin
John Broadbent Won the Blackhawk 38.
We raised $6970.00
Thank You al for donating .

I am so happy to have been able to support the fundraiser for John and hope that the recovery progresses swiftly. The 2.6" Goblin that I won in the raffle has been completed and I hope to fly it this weekend. Thanks to Tim for his generosity in this fundraising effort. Here is a photo of the Goblin.

398.jpeg399.jpeg

Any updates on John's physical recovery and overall mental health?

How's the family doing financially given he is out of work?

With MWP coming up in 5 or so weeks, is there any possibility of him paying a visit to spectate and be around his fellow rocketeers? At times, being around your own people is one of the best things for a person mentally and to aid in their recovery.

I owe John......

I completed my L3 certification at Airfest earlier this month and he is part of the reason I was able to be successful in my certification.

At mini MWP this spring, I was about to fly my first rocket that morning and he was RSO, he looked at me and said "You got a tracker in that thing??" I replied "Well, no......I don't have one and have never used them and usually just end up walking till I find my rocket." He said "Nah, you're not flying today without a tracker. You'll never find it in the beans." and went to his car and pulled out a tracker, nomex sleeve, new battery, his receiver, and then helped me set it up and showed me how to use it. Every rocket I flew that day he made sure I had his tracker in my rocket and it paid dividends.

He and I were talking with Tim and the group as the day was winding down and Tim and Jackie convinced me to come to Airfest and do my L3. John chimed in and said "GPS or not, you best put a tracker in that thing!!!!" Well, I got a transmitter and borrowed a receiver from Glen Pietrzyk to take to Airfest. I flew my Extreme Wildman to 13k and we lost sight of it completely, never saw it come down, nothing. Guess what......the GPS told me the rocket was in the parking lot, it was not in the parking lot!!! My rocket landed 2 miles to the south, over rolling Kansas hills and barely a blip on that tracking receiver, not even on the highest sensitivity setting, the needle didn't move. After an hour if hiking and triangulating the faint signal I eventually got......I had my L3 back in my possession, 100% intact.

Without being convinced of using an RF tracker by John at mini MWP, I would have relied only on my GPS and that rocket, along with my L3 certification, would have been lost.

I've been a Tripoli member since 1993 and been flying rockets for a long time. I am still learning and always open to the insight of others. I am indebted to him for his persistence and sharing his experience and insight with me.

I owe my L3 Certification to several people, him being one of them.

John will be there and he's planning to fly his WM Ultimate on a N2220DM. I just traded texts with him today and he was having a good day. He rode his bike for 20 miles which is pretty darn impressive in and of itself. Me, I might make 2 miles before my legs turned to Jello... :rolleyes:

That's unbelievable!!!!! That is amazing news to hear!!!

Thanks for the update, Adrian!!!

Back