One of the coolest things I've ever done!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Yesterday I got to ride the Superman fully-immersive VR roller coaster at Six Flags America (near Washington, DC).

You get a VR headset that completely eliminates your view of the real world. So you have no idea what's coming. But the VR is gyroscopically controlled, and you get a full 360 deg. VR experience. Turn your head or look down, the VR follows.

So while you are on the ride, you are living inside a Superman cartoon. You are hovering over Metropolis, taking a "Metropolis Sky Tour" in some kind of aerial vehicle. Lex Luthor shows up in his full 1980s body armor (remember the green and purple?), and he attacks the sky ride.

Just as you go down the first drop, in the VR, the sky ride loses power and you start to plummet toward the street below.

But then Superman swoops in and saves you just in the nick of time, lifting you up to safety. As the coaster twists, turns, rises and falls, the VR story goes along.

I only did it once because it was so overwhelming to the senses. But it was amazing.

I can't recommend it enough to anyone who likes roller coasters, comic books, VR technology, or all of the above.

More info here.

Cool! I've heard of it but never knew anyone who had ridden it. I'm sure there will be even cooler things by the time the grandkids are of roller coaster age/height.

There's going to be a whole lot of :puke: Hope you don't get hit:)

No moreso than normal. Even though it's virtual, your eye still sees movement that corresponds to the physical sensations you are experiencing. Anyone who does not get motion sickness on a normal coaster won't get it on this one.

Mostly when people come off, they just look dazed....

John,,
Nope,,
I cannot express this enough. ..
Nope..
Just ain't happenin....
You can do all the chicken clucking you like,,
Heck,, I'll even cluck with ya....

Teddy

John,,
Nope,,
I cannot express this enough. ..
Nope..
Just ain't happenin....
You can do all the chicken clucking you like,,
Heck,, I'll even cluck with ya....

Teddy

Teddy- I worked for Six Flags (and various others) for nearly a decade..... I can trick people onto anything ;)

Teddy- I worked for Six Flags (and various others) for nearly a decade..... I can trick people onto anything ;)

Ain't happnin buddy..
Not with a team of wild horses...
I grew up ridin bikes...
I've done things on bikes you wouldn't believe,,
or just wouldn't believe I'm still here...
Roller coasters where your not in control of anything have never been my cup of tea..

Teddy

Roller coasters where your not in control of anything have never been my cup of tea..

My trouble with them is they're too short. 90-120 seconds of rush is, as you mentioned, nothing like downshifting while doing 95 on a bike :)

As for control, I've seen them skip the brake pads, break off wheel mounts, stuck on chains more times then I can count, and people get tossed out of them.... There's not much control, but that's part of the thrill...

My trouble with them is they're too short. 90-120 seconds of rush is, as you mentioned, nothing like downshifting while doing 95 on a bike :)

As for control, I've seen them skip the brake pads, break off wheel mounts, stuck on chains more times then I can count, and people get tossed out of them.... There's not much control, but that's part of the thrill...

I duh know,,
I never liked a single aspect of coasters...
Bikes ,, heck yeah...

Teddy

Back