One million Covid deaths in the US as of Wed, May 5

modeltrains

Reaction score
On the other hand, we're #3 in population, behind China and India. I would guess (though I have no evidence) that there's rampant underreporting in both countries, in China due to political issues and in India due to political issues and lack of health and testing infrastructure.
That brings to mind,

and
and

(note: I have friends in India who lost both extended family members and people they know to covid)

loopy

Reaction score
That does not address my question but you may have in a follow up post on the thread. I am trying to find data that suggest whether co morbidities were the real cause of death or not. If the overall death rate (all deaths) during the pandemic increased and accounts for a million people then that suggest strongly it was covid. If the rate remained the same, it does not, and suggest the victims of covid were likely going to die of something else in the near term. I believe in 2020 the overall death rate did go up, but I am not sure and cannot find that for 2021.

Note: There could be other causes, but that statistic should shed a lot of light given all we know of Covid.
Co-morbidities or not...those people would still be alive if not for Covid. Those co-morbidities didn't kill them, the combination of covid plus the co-morbidities killed them. Without Covid, they'd still be alive.

"If they didn't have diabetes, they'd still be alive! That's the co-morbidity there!"

You mean the diabetes they've been living with for 2 decades, and were perfectly fine with until they got Covid? Yeah...right...it's all because of the diabetes. Whatever.

High Desert Rocketry

Reaction score
After over two years of avoiding Covid by severely restricting our activities and only going out for rocketry and quilting events, I caught the virus from what was probably the largest rocket event of the year. Not many people wearing masks, gloves, or sanitizing including myself by choice. On the 6th day started feeling tired and sore throat, I attributed it to lack of sleep, hot humid conditions, and lots of talking. More symptoms occurred on the drive home and stopped at hospital ER before home having trouble breathing and fever among other things. Yup, Covid.

Released me after midnight and I slept outside in my sleeping bag to avoid bringing it in (my wife is 68 and I'm 70).
Slowly getting better, fever now gone and glad to be alive to launch more rockets.