Onboard video, what’s the latest and greatest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or source? :)

Its an Inventor 2019 file. I should point out that there is an extrusion and sweep that are surpressed that allows for a cable to connect to the camera. I used these to remote trigger, HDMI cable, etc.

Attachments

• RX0_Fairing_BB.zip
    408.3 KB · Views: 11

Attachments

• IMG_2088.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2091.jpg
    IMG_2091.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 22
I just invested in the Sony RX0 ii and designed a couple of shrouds for it.

Wish I knew about Doug's design, because I'm not happy how my 4in one turned out,

My design is based on the Von Karman equation then transitions to the box shape. The idea is to try to keep the drag down as much as reasonably possible.

Why buy a camera? Have a go at building one yourself.
I've been thinking about doing that. You can get iPhone cameras as replacement parts (or pick your favorite phone). It's amazing how good those cameras are. A "little bit" of custom hardware & software can turn them into perfect rocket cameras. Bad part is how much time that "little bit" takes.

I dunno, it's expensive and 5 minutes is a really severe limitation. Also limited to 25 fps in high-res mode.
I guess it's expensive compared to a keychain cam or Mobius, but it's a lot cheaper than a new GoPro. Good point about the frame rate. I really want at least 1080p at 60fps.

has anybody ever tried one of these mini 1" cube cams? they look like they'd be cheap and lightweight, but curious about the actual functioning and quality.
minicam1.jpg

I bought one of those cheap SQ11 cameras. Somewhat blocky, but it worked for taking side video out of a modroc.

It's so cheap I've seriously considered cutting a square hole in a rocket and epoxying the camera in.
has anybody ever tried one of these mini 1" cube cams? they look like they'd be cheap and lightweight, but curious about the actual functioning and quality.
View attachment 420369
I looked up the SQ11; it looks much like the camera pictured here. I'm curious about mounting one to a rocket...

FWIW, I flew a Mobius Max yesterday on my L2 certification flight. Unfortunately, while on the rail, the camera locked-up and I got nada from the flight. I suspect it was the Eastern Oregon sun inducing an over-temp situation, but that's just a guess. It was on, but completely unresponsive until the battery ran down. I recharged it when I got home last night, and it seems to operate fine now but there was no recorded video. :rolleyes:

Next flight will definitely be with the Sony RX0 ii.

FWIW, I flew a Mobius Max yesterday on my L2 certification flight. Unfortunately, while on the rail, the camera locked-up and I got nada from the flight. I suspect it was the Eastern Oregon sun inducing an over-temp situation, but that's just a guess. It was on, but completely unresponsive until the battery ran down. I recharged it when I got home last night, and it seems to operate fine now but there was no recorded video. :rolleyes:

That's not good to hear. I've tested and got mine mounted. If it is suppose to work as a dash cam it would have to take a little heat.

IMG_6801.jpg

Its always good advice to completely understand how your camera works and one critical comment about the RX0ii is its autofocusing system. When shooting video, it only focuses initially and does not focus continually like one would imagine. This could cause problems if you are standing in front of the camera when you push the record button. It could focus on you very close and objects at infinity might be out of focus. I get around this my manually setting the focus to just under two meters which is the Hyperfocal distance.

Doug

Its always good advice to completely understand how your camera works and one critical comment about the RX0ii is its autofocusing system. When shooting video, it only focuses initially and does not focus continually like one would imagine. This could cause problems if you are standing in front of the camera when you push the record button. It could focus on you very close and objects at infinity might be out of focus. I get around this my manually setting the focus to just under two meters which is the Hyperfocal distance.

Doug

That's a great tip, Doug. Thanks!

Here is a Mobius Mini that I use for mid power flights:

It's mounted open so it doesn't get a heat stroke.
I use this 3D printed part as camera mount: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3054167
(An early prototype mount was used in the video)

Great video!

That's a better solution for thermals without question. I made my own which covers a portion of all six sides so are to contain the camera. Unfortunately, it also contains thermal energy it seems - that's my working theory at least.

This video I did a long time ago is good, as I had both a cheap keychain camera, and a Mobius. You can clearly see how much better the Mobius is. Also had a GoPro on the pad - I think the Mobius is as good as the GoPro, at least the version I used (gopro 4). Jump to 3:07 to see the keychain vs Mobius

Made a Mobius rocket mount you can find here ready to 3d print.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:523338
original is on tinkercad here:

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/4f7c9ilTxNp
I made it so you can easily modify it for any diameter rocket you have just by modifying the 'subtraction' cylinder size on tinkercad

I modified Doug's excellent shroud to fit a GoPro hero9. Notice the two lines in front, as the Hero9 has an integrated finger-mount.

1600877252897.png

Needed a long M5 bolt to go through the width of the shroud and the gopro finger mounts

1600877329651.png

The short of it - not a good solution. Since the bolt isn't sitting against the fingermount like a regular gopro mount, you can't tighten it down, so it remains loose in the shroud.

I could buy a skeleton cage with an integrated 1/4 tripod mount, but by the time I do all that you are in the price range of the sony camera.

View attachment 420369

For under $100 you can get a RunCam 5 Orange, considered by most FPV flyers to be 99% of a Go Pro Session (now a retired model)....and true 4K....plus continued product support. I'm working on cobbling together a shroud for one, and maybe a side looking internal mount as well.

I’m working on a very low profile raspberry pi camera and telemetry setup. Testing looks fantastic, launch coming soonish. 5 megapixel @ 60 fps

Attachments

• 02877E3C-902D-4B64-9A24-AE86BBD7E2CA.jpeg
    02877E3C-902D-4B64-9A24-AE86BBD7E2CA.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 44
  • FD72655B-F479-41A9-9174-CBC6AF2B409A.jpeg
    FD72655B-F479-41A9-9174-CBC6AF2B409A.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 47
  • D7DC9817-199D-429D-B707-1F49EF77286B.jpeg
    D7DC9817-199D-429D-B707-1F49EF77286B.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 8B5DDFD2-1291-49D3-B39A-A2D963A09C0A.jpeg
    8B5DDFD2-1291-49D3-B39A-A2D963A09C0A.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 48
My does that look pretty!
1. 2 stage or fancy slotted fins
2. Is that an on-off button and downward looking camera, or both a down and side-looking camera? or...? Nice data readout, too! (I'm still in the balsa and paper bunch, but I'm learning. The things you can do with a Raspberry pi...)

Very nice Gonzo, looks nice and compact compared to my efforts of a couple of years ago.
IMG_0196.JPG

My does that look pretty!
1. 2 stage or fancy slotted fins
2. Is that an on-off button and downward looking camera, or both a down and side-looking camera? or...? Nice data readout, too! (I'm still in the balsa and paper bunch, but I'm learning. The things you can do with a Raspberry pi...)
1.) single stage. Started life as a LOC Athena. Swapped to a 38 motor mount then my 3D printer took over!
2.) down facing camera. Button on the bottom to go from self test mode to ready for launch.

I pulled my DJI FPV air unit off of one of my drones and will be flying it at MWP. Really like the fact it will stream in real-time, and the lens is independent of the electronics.

1603747457714.png

You can find them used for less than 100 bucks on ebay. 1080p/60fps. I don't think I'll be wearing my goggles for take off, but that would be kind of cool.

Back