Onboard video, what’s the latest and greatest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahall4

Reaction score
Looks like it has been a few months, maybe a year since a comprehensive discussion of what’s available. 3-4 years ago, my research indicated the Mobius Action Cam was pretty solid and indeed we found that to be the case. Looks like maybe the Mobius Maxi is the way to go in its price range.

Are there any other contenders, camera and shroud?

Thanks!

It'll be a while before I'm flying cameras, but I happened on this thread and noticed that timbucktoo is from Cocoa Beach. I'm as green as his mod banner. Hope you can see the launch, my good fellow!

Back to your normally scheduled thread!

I started making my own shrouds out of fiberglass just last weekend. First one was dreadful, second was better, third was actually respectable. I'm flying it the first weekend of June. I have one for my 808 and I'm working on one for my mobius.
I've tried the shrouds from additive and they're okay but I wanted to see if I could get something more streamlined and lighter.

Some low cost cameras I found this year:

'USB Stick' styled camera working great so far with 10 flights on it. Can't go wrong for $6 USD. Got a few more on the way. Takes uncompressed AVI files, so need a big memory card. Standard resolution. Weighs only 8g with memory card, and perfect size to mount on anything down to a BT-55 tube. Recommended.

1590576779825.png

Tried this fob style 808 cam, but found it too large and clunky for mounting externally. It is a sandwiched circuit board and lipo battery inside. Tried two, and only one worked. Standard 640 video. Has to be charged via USB cable. Have not tried it on a rocket. I could see the internal wiring and components not holding up well. Would be best suited for a rocket at least 2.6" in diameter due to size. Cost around $8. Not recommended.
1590576728557.png

The most expensive of the bunch at $20+ USD. Supposed to be HD 1080P video. They call it a Spycamera Lighter. After removing the "lighter" end (small side), and exposing the USB tip, this could be mounted to BT-60 series and larger. It is much heavier than the previous styles. Buttons are hidden. Would suggest saving this for a launch where the extra weight doesnt matter. Video seems decent quality when tested. Will be testing more this summer.

1590577111273.png

Or the RCA camcorder .....🤣🤣

1590577545119.png

I am looking at a runcam split 3 micro looking straight out, for looking aft the nano head is even smaller and still HD video. BTW, one can whittle a fairing out of wood and do just fine too :)

I use the Mobius Maxi with a shroud from Additive Aerospace. The video quality is excellent, noticeably improved from previous Mobius models.

I use the Mobius Maxi with a shroud from Additive Aerospace. The video quality is excellent, noticeably improved from previous Mobius models.

Noticeably? The quality from just the orig Mobius I thought was pretty good. BTW... watch till the end is worth it.

Have you used the feature that allows a live view via your phone?

I bought one of those cheap SQ11 cameras. Somewhat blocky, but it worked for taking side video out of a modroc.

It's so cheap I've seriously considered cutting a square hole in a rocket and epoxying the camera in.

Eyesinthesky: LOVE Your work!!
My grandson and I had six flights on two rockets 6-3-20. For on-board video, I selected a scratch-built platform 24" OAL 1.325" dia (BT-55). I added 1010 rail buttons then used the old launch lugs to secure my keychain cam near existing CG with a piece 1/8" oak dowel rod and cross pins - lightweight and easy to dismount. The nosecone was modified to accept a FlightSketch mini data recorder. Flight went to 460' @155 fps on a C6-5.
Came down at a rate of 15 fps under a damaged, 12" Estes 'chute.
Might be our last launch of the season- rumors of fire ban coming on BLM land on the Western Slope.
Video Link...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M_ioAmTCDw8yFrp3yy3qcc4HkP-ZJDYe/view?usp=sharing

Beautiful video! If I may ask, how did you go about mounting the camera on your rocket?

Thanks, that rocket was built many years ago and the camera was mounted in the nose cone with a custom composite mount. It was originally for a different camera but the Sony fit very well in its place. For my latest projects, I'm 3D printing the mount that just glues onto the airframe. It does require a small hole for a tool to tighten the screw to hold the camera in place.
RX0_Fairing_BB.jpg
Fairing.jpg

Thanks, that rocket was built many years ago and the camera was mounted in the nose cone with a custom composite mount. It was originally for a different camera but the Sony fit very well in its place. For my latest projects, I'm 3D printing the mount that just glues onto the airframe. It does require a small hole for a tool to tighten the screw to hold the camera in place.
View attachment 419978
View attachment 419979
That's a REALLY nice design, Doug!

Did you offset the camera angle at all? I believe I offset the Mobius Max by 3 degrees to get a little less rocket and fins and bit more area around the rocket.

I believe those are crop circles?? Irrigation method done in arid environments...

Correct, for large farming operations, there is a well in the center and the watering system rotates around it in a circle. So the rows of crops are in circles instead of straight lines. I beleive the circles are 1/4 mile in diameter.

That's a beautiful design, Doug!

Did you offset the camera angle at all? I believe I offset the Mobius Max by 3 degrees to get a little less rocket and fins and bit more area around the rocket.

Thanks, I use more of a 6 degree offset. But it does depend a lot on the field of view of the camera. (Don't want too much rocket, not too little..)

@Eyesinthesky Nice design! What size airframe? Will the .stl file be available?

@Eyesinthesky Nice design! What size airframe? Will the .stl file be available?

This one is for a 5" rocket but it could be made for just about any diameter tube. It is split in the middle so two pieces need to be printed. Both are about 7" long. It can take days to print in fine resolution. The two holes on the top are to turn the camera on and start recording.

Attachments

• RX0_Fairing_AFT.stl
    697.8 KB · Views: 16
  • RX0_Fairing_FWD.stl
    745.9 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back