Onboard video, what’s the latest and greatest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

curtisheisey

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

Eyesinthesky

Reaction score
I just invested in the Sony RX0 ii and designed a couple of shrouds for it.

Wish I knew about Doug's design, because I'm not happy how my 4in one turned out,
My design is based on the Von Karman equation then transitions to the box shape. The idea is to try to keep the drag down as much as reasonably possible.

GrouchoDuke

Reaction score
Why buy a camera? Have a go at building one yourself.
I've been thinking about doing that. You can get iPhone cameras as replacement parts (or pick your favorite phone). It's amazing how good those cameras are. A "little bit" of custom hardware & software can turn them into perfect rocket cameras. Bad part is how much time that "little bit" takes.

GrouchoDuke

Reaction score
I dunno, it's expensive and 5 minutes is a really severe limitation. Also limited to 25 fps in high-res mode.
I guess it's expensive compared to a keychain cam or Mobius, but it's a lot cheaper than a new GoPro. Good point about the frame rate. I really want at least 1080p at 60fps.

Alan R

Reaction score
has anybody ever tried one of these mini 1" cube cams? they look like they'd be cheap and lightweight, but curious about the actual functioning and quality.
minicam1.jpg

gna

average joe-overbuild member
Reaction score
I bought one of those cheap SQ11 cameras. Somewhat blocky, but it worked for taking side video out of a modroc.

It's so cheap I've seriously considered cutting a square hole in a rocket and epoxying the camera in.
has anybody ever tried one of these mini 1" cube cams? they look like they'd be cheap and lightweight, but curious about the actual functioning and quality.
View attachment 420369
I looked up the SQ11; it looks much like the camera pictured here. I'm curious about mounting one to a rocket...

g.pitts

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, I flew a Mobius Max yesterday on my L2 certification flight. Unfortunately, while on the rail, the camera locked-up and I got nada from the flight. I suspect it was the Eastern Oregon sun inducing an over-temp situation, but that's just a guess. It was on, but completely unresponsive until the battery ran down. I recharged it when I got home last night, and it seems to operate fine now but there was no recorded video. :rolleyes:

Next flight will definitely be with the Sony RX0 ii.

Alan R

Reaction score
I looked up the SQ11; it looks much like the camera pictured here. I'm curious about mounting one to a rocket...
Looks like it would be a good 3D printer project for that. Design a mount for that to fit in a payload bay or on the exterior.

jahall4

Reaction score
FWIW, I flew a Mobius Max yesterday on my L2 certification flight. Unfortunately, while on the rail, the camera locked-up and I got nada from the flight. I suspect it was the Eastern Oregon sun inducing an over-temp situation, but that's just a guess. It was on, but completely unresponsive until the battery ran down. I recharged it when I got home last night, and it seems to operate fine now but there was no recorded video. :rolleyes:

That's not good to hear. I've tested and got mine mounted. If it is suppose to work as a dash cam it would have to take a little heat.

IMG_6801.jpg

Eyesinthesky

Reaction score
Its always good advice to completely understand how your camera works and one critical comment about the RX0ii is its autofocusing system. When shooting video, it only focuses initially and does not focus continually like one would imagine. This could cause problems if you are standing in front of the camera when you push the record button. It could focus on you very close and objects at infinity might be out of focus. I get around this my manually setting the focus to just under two meters which is the Hyperfocal distance.

Doug

g.pitts

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Its always good advice to completely understand how your camera works and one critical comment about the RX0ii is its autofocusing system. When shooting video, it only focuses initially and does not focus continually like one would imagine. This could cause problems if you are standing in front of the camera when you push the record button. It could focus on you very close and objects at infinity might be out of focus. I get around this my manually setting the focus to just under two meters which is the Hyperfocal distance.

Doug
That's a great tip, Doug. Thanks!

g.pitts

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a Mobius Mini that I use for mid power flights:

It's mounted open so it doesn't get a heat stroke.
I use this 3D printed part as camera mount: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3054167
(An early prototype mount was used in the video)
Great video!

That's a better solution for thermals without question. I made my own which covers a portion of all six sides so are to contain the camera. Unfortunately, it also contains thermal energy it seems - that's my working theory at least.

alexzogh

Reaction score
This video I did a long time ago is good, as I had both a cheap keychain camera, and a Mobius. You can clearly see how much better the Mobius is. Also had a GoPro on the pad - I think the Mobius is as good as the GoPro, at least the version I used (gopro 4). Jump to 3:07 to see the keychain vs Mobius

Made a Mobius rocket mount you can find here ready to 3d print.

original is on tinkercad here:

I made it so you can easily modify it for any diameter rocket you have just by modifying the 'subtraction' cylinder size on tinkercad