Onboard Video Cameras

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Pritts

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I see a lot of YouTube videos of flights but not much about what cameras they're using. Most units I find mentioned in posts are long since gone, out of stock, or prohibitively expensive. I'm looking for something at around a $100. Anyone here flying a currently available camera on 2.6" or 3" vehicles.?

Check out this fairly recent thread for some ideas:
Onboard video, what’s the latest and greatest?

RunCam makes some FPV focused stuff that could also be used in rocketry.

Something like the RunCam Orange 5 might work for you and is $100.

There are several options if you want to spend more but the thought of smashing up an expensive camera on a rough landing doesn't sit well with me.

Don't get too caught up with 1080 vs 4K. It is the size of the pizza that is important, not how many times you slice it. A larger sensor with a better lense will generally produce better image quality.

Having said that, I am really pleased with the video quality from such small cameras. They have done some amazing things with the electronics to make up for the small size. I am not going to trade in my DSLR for an 808 mini camera, but I am also not going to tape my DSLR to the side of a Big Bertha!

jadebox,

I agree. A 5d strapped to the side of the 3 or 4" air frame will take more impulse than I am certified for(or can afford).

Happy flying :)

I recall an article in one of the magazines about twenty years ago describing how someone mounted several (four, six, eight?) SLRs in a rocket to get a panaramic photo near apogee.

It was a big rocket with a big motor.

It was his Level 3 project Minds Eye ( I believe)
was the name of the rocket. I can't remember the flyer's name though... He was in one of the LDRS videos.

]
I recall an article in one of the magazines about twenty years ago describing how someone mounted several (four, six, eight?) SLRs in a rocket to get a panaramic photo near apogee.

It was a big rocket with a big motor.

Back