Onboard Video cameras for Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nite Builder

Reaction score
Well Guys;
After recently seeing video of onboard cameras in High Powered Rockets all I can say is, WOW! This is something I absolutely "must" do. I would think that this includes some rather "costly" equiptment and some time-consuming designing to achieve your rocket actually filming itself on the way up. BUT!! Like I said,"I must do this!" So I am asking my fellow forum members to point me in the right direction on how I should construct a video capable rocket, and who makes the cameras that get installed in this rocket. I'm up for this challenge....Thanks in advance guys/gals :)

I think a pencam can take a 20 second or so video... not sure about that. That's the route I would take, I don't have much money right now.

I'll be using an EZMegaCam myself. It's really a lousy camera but I allready have one and it only cost $20. I won't cry if I loose it or break it. I want to fly the cam as is so I need to put it in a 3" diameter rocket wich I have the parts for allready. I have considered using the much better X10 or similler cameras but I don't want to bother with all the downlink support. Booster Vision probably has the easiest set up for downlink video for about $100.

Zippy

I would suggest you go the PenCam route. Check out the <a href="https://www.robnee.com/electronics/Articles/6/">AYUCR</a> page for ideas on how to modify your camera. Also, check out the Clay Bros. <a href="https://www.dph.com/vidroc/">Video Rocketry</a> website. They have great info on onboard video. They primarily use transmitters and such.

i did see a aiptek 1 megapixel camera at best buy for 60 dollars that also came with a 20 dollar mail in rebate, the package said it also takes a 2 minute video, kinda cool, the camera is very small , rick

After having owned and flown 4 different systems including down link and on board I have found that the best over all system for a mid sized to large rocket is the Aiptek DV II it is avalible for less than $100 and you can add more memory. You get a small digital video and still camera and it records sound as well ! I have flown this camera on as little as an F in a scratch built rocket. no modifacations nessary you find a way to mount it, tape the battery door shut and push one button to record . No extra equipment to haul and no antenna ,all you need is a computer to download the camera with extra memory cards you can fly all day:D

Pet Peeve time:

I wish someone would come up with a more accurate way to describe these "videos" (and "video cameras) that aren't really video. The way I see it, if it's not something I can play on my TV, with at lest the same quality and resolution as a VHS recording, then it's not really video. It's... something else.

Originally posted by Ray Dunakin
Pet Peeve time:

I wish someone would come up with a more accurate way to describe these "videos" (and "video cameras) that aren't really video. The way I see it, if it's not something I can play on my TV, with at lest the same quality and resolution as a VHS recording, then it's not really video. It's... something else.

If you can viddy it, it's video. As opposed to hearing audio. And if they ever come out with Smell-O-Vision, since smell is "olafactory", that'd be oleo.

As with all things technological, video has standards. The stuff you see on your TV and VCR is NTSC video, with 525 scan lines, scanned at 60 Hz. Used to be all we had to compare with and translate to/from were SECAM and PAL, standards from other countries and with different numbers of lines and rates. Now we've got all different sorts of digital widgets, and to make them all useable, they have to be able to be translated to various resolutions. That being said, you *can* translate this stuff to NTSC and see it on your TV. But that usually takes a widget that the video creator needs to have in their machine which can do the trick. Most just stick with the common computer standards like MPEG video.

With the upcoming switch to digital TV, this stuff will be easier. TV will be using stuff closer to computer video. What that means for your VCR tapes remains to be seen.

Back