Onboard video camera for low power rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirkTheDaring

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My AstroCam is punking out (various issues), and I'd like to move up a notch. The RunCam 2 is pretty heavy (49 grams) for a smallish rocket. Regarding other cameras, I've seen many discussions, but nothing definitive (or even close to definitive). There's run RunCam Thumb, which is much lighter: https://smile.amazon.com/RunCam-Thumb-1080P60FPS-Stabilization-Cinewhoop/dp/B09SD7JQ1T and all kinds of "808" spy cams. I do not need real time or wifi, just a usb connection is fine with me.

1. Anyone using the Thumb?
2. Can anyone suggest a specific light weight camera?

1080 is fine with me, anything above that is nice, but not required. 60 FPS would be very nice, but I could live without. If it can be had for less than $100, that's great, but I'm flexible.

Thank you

My AstroCam is punking out (various issues), and I'd like to move up a notch. The RunCam 2 is pretty heavy (49 grams) for a smallish rocket. Regarding other cameras, I've seen many discussions, but nothing definitive (or even close to definitive). There's run RunCam Thumb, which is much lighter: https://smile.amazon.com/RunCam-Thumb-1080P60FPS-Stabilization-Cinewhoop/dp/B09SD7JQ1T and all kinds of "808" spy cams. I do not need real time or wifi, just a usb connection is fine with me.

1080 is fine with me, anything above that is nice, but not required. 60 FPS would be very nice, but I could live without. If it can be had for less than $100, that's great, but I'm flexible.

Thank you
Too bad you couldn’t use a runcam…When you say “smallish rocket”, what size are you talking about? LPR? MPR? Apogee has keychain cameras that’ll get the job done although i don’t know about the resolution off hand. Definitely check them out sometime. I’m sure they’re not too different from the Estes Astrocam resolution wise…

William

Too bad you couldn’t use a runcam…When you say “smallish rocket”, what size are you talking about? LPR? MPR? Apogee has keychain cameras that’ll get the job done although i don’t know about the resolution off hand. Definitely check them out sometime. I’m sure they’re not too different from the Estes Astrocam resolution wise…

William
Strictly low power, B, C, D and the rare E (Der Big Red Max and a Tall Boy). Yes, I'm spending some time on Apogee and all the usual sellers. I'm hoping someone can recommend a specific model. Thanks , though!

Ever try the Mobius Mini D-Lens? $60, weighs 17 grams, 120° field of view, 240fps there’s really nothing bad there. 17 grams is definitely better than 49 grams. That would be no problem for the Big Der red max. Smaller (LPR) rockets if they are long enough, just find a good point on the rocket where it won’t effect your balance and flight to mount your camera.

Ever try the Mobius Mini D-Lens? $60, weighs 17 grams, 120° field of view, 240fps there’s really nothing bad there. 17 grams is definitely better than 49 grams. That would be no problem for the Big Der red max. Smaller (LPR) rockets if they are long enough, just find a good point on the rocket where it won’t effect your balance and flight to mount your camera.
Thank you, that's just the kind of recommendation I'm looking for! I'll check it out.

Thank you
There are many recommendations for Mobius cameras, but there are so many Mobius cameras and there doesn't seem to be one stop shopping for them in the US. I'm going a little nuts trying to compare them and decide which is best. So far, maybe, the 2.7 or the Maxi. But the lenses! B, C, D?

And what about cameras from the company with the weird name: "davidamy's gift" which seem to run about half the price of the Mobiuses (mobii?).

Anyway, thanks all, and if I ever manage to make a decision, I'll let you know. Meanwhile, keep those cards and letters coming!

Thanks for all the help everybody! FWIW, I ended up ordering two cameras. I ordered the Mobius Maxi Sports Action Cam MM4K with Lens A and a cheaper Mini Spy Camera,FUVISION Micro camera. The Mobius is a bit heavy, so I'll use it when I use larger engines (D, E) and the lighter camera for small rockets. I chose the A lens because it has a wider field of view. This comes with a 2.8 fstop instead of 1.4, but since I usually launch in broad daylight, that shouldn't be an issue.

Just in case you want details:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1J1DN8B/https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GRRLCYS
I'll write up reports when I've had a chance to fly them. (The Mobius won't come for almost a month.)

I’ve never mounted a camera to a rocket, but am interested in doing this. How do you mount the smaller Mini Spy camera to point down? This will be for low power rockets, big berthas and such. Thanks!

I use black electrical tape even for some HP models. I run a couple of turns of tape on the camera, missing any buttons...or cutting out part of the tape so the buttons aren't covered. Then tape to the rocket pointing down between fins. On some models, I leave a couple of electrical tape bands on the rocket so when I remove the camera, I don't pull off the paint. Makes attaching easier the next time around. I've used the Estes Astrocam, Booster Vision, and the Apogee spy cam. All taped, except for my L3 rocket.

Attachments

• IMG_20220220_163546098.jpg
    IMG_20220220_163546098.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
I use black electrical tape even for some HP models. I run a couple of turns of tape on the camera, missing any buttons...or cutting out part of the tape so the buttons aren't covered. Then tape to the rocket pointing down between fins. On some models, I leave a couple of electrical tape bands on the rocket so when I remove the camera, I don't pull off the paint. Makes attaching easier the next time around. I've used the Estes Astrocam, Booster Vision, and the Apogee spy cam. All taped, except for my L3 rocket.
I do the same thing.

Back