On trying to be original and relevant.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senior Space Cadet

Reaction score
My goal is to come up with designs that aren't just copies of something that has been done a thousand times.
But I want them to be functional designs and, by functional, I don't just mean that they go up and come down in one piece, I want them to perform, not just well, but very well.
That is very hard to do in model rocketry where there is such a narrow, well defined goal. I don't think I'll ever come up with something that's completely original, but I might be able to come up with a new take on an old idea.
I think I've figured out another way to use arrow vanes, besides the way I used them on that rocket I posted a photo of. I'm hoping it meets my two goals of being original and relevant.
I'll probably have to order parts, so it might be a while before there are any photos.

The more you're concerned with performance, the fewer degrees of freedom you will have in your design. A 3FNC and an odd-roc are the polar ends of this spectrum.

For some rockets, I've defined being a crowd-pleasing spectacle as a "performance" goal. That opens up the window for more creative expressions.

Finishing and detail also become apparent to the 'layman' for additional "coolness factor" goals.

A rocket painted one colour is sweet. 2 colours adds to the look & feel (and expectations) as well as starting to add painted details & features: flames, stripes, certain geometry high-lights. Adding text, and hatches / panel lines, and screw heads can also start to make the rocket look really cool & scientific.

I've seen some really cool designs, but the finish leaves a lot to be desired.

Back