On the look out for 3D MMX parts.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saluki

Reaction score
I'm starting to get back into the Micro Maxx rocket building again. I'm also lucky to have a 3D printer that I have used to print out nose cone for use on some BT-50 and 60 rockets, but I don't see any nose cone parts or devices for cutting or marking tubes for the size of the MMX tubes. I, myself have no idea how to design these types of parts for 3D printing but I was wondering is it hard to design a nose cone this small for MMX rockets? I have tried to scale down some of the STL files from BT-50 noes cone and have some good results but most of the time not so good. Would really like to find some 3D printing file for Micro Maxx rockets.

Well I gave it a try. This is just a simple nose cone, made to dimensions I found online. It'll probably need some editing before it fits right. I'm still pretty new to designing.

Attachments

• mmxnosecone.stl
    745.9 KB · Views: 22
Thanks, Landon, I did a print of the nose cone you posted above. For the T-2 size cone, I had trouble with the tip printing. I printed a second one and got the same results. Sometimes this happens on small prints.

I scaled up the stl file to print out a T-3 and T-4 size cone and you can see they came out alright. I need to adjust the T-3 and 4 for a little nicer fit but they look fine. Thank again.

I'll keep looking.

Attachments

• MMX b.jpg
    MMX b.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 43
Once again thanks, Landon. I just printed the new STL file you posted. It came out right on.
Do you have the measurements for the T-3 and T-4 tubes to upscale this cone for them?
Once again thanks for your time and work.

Attachments

• MMX d.jpg
    MMX d.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 24
  • MMX c.jpg
    MMX c.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 24
Once again thanks, Landon. I just printed the new STL file you posted. It came out right on.
Do you have the measurements for the T-3 and T-4 tubes to upscale this cone for them?
Once again thanks for your time and work.
I don't have the measurements right now, but I can get them online. This is a pretty simple design, shouldn't be too hard to upscale.

ok here they are. They're not true upscales, and the measurements are from online, so they might not fit perfect.

Attachments

• nosecone_t3.stl
    664.5 KB · Views: 20
  • nosecone_t4.stl
    880.2 KB · Views: 16
Thanks so much for your work and kindness in doing this for a 72-year-old man who has loved making rock since I was a kid. My hat is off to you. Thanks.:bravo:

Hey Saluki. Looks like Clint Eastwood morphed into Robbie the Robot. What gives?
Well, the Clint Eastwood in me after years calmed down. Now I'm calmer and more in control like Robby.
Robby was always my favorite robot. I hope Clint never comes back.

Just a question: can't you just downsize the dimensions in a .stl file so they are mmx without reinventing the wheel, so to speak?

You can downscale but that can take up time because the downscale measurements for one nose cone don't work for another. Wall thickness makes a difference.

I've modeled and uploaded here a small collection of nosecones for T-MM tubes:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4791618

Thank you so much for your time and effort in doing this for all of us who like working on MMX rockets.:bravo:
There is so much out there for normal size rockets but the MMX is overlooked or not thought of. It's mainly because not everyone builds these little masterpieces.

Once again thanks. Please keep the little MMX in mind in your rocket designs. :bravo:

Some updates---

I've expanded my collection of pre-generated T-MM nosecones to include all the common shapes under some reasonable parameters, and with more variations on fill and anchor types:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4791618
I've also uploaded a very simple T-MM stand:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4797842
As well as some fin alignment jigs for T-MM tubes and some common material thicknesses:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4797837
These are all parametric models so they're easy to vary. Feel free to reach out if you could use some different shape parameters for a particular model or something like that.

Happy flying!

Once again thanks tjkopena I'm sure these will all come in very handy. Anything anyone can think of to help build these little rockets will be grateful.

I always liked Robby better than Robinson's robot. Robby had class.

However.....
It depends on which Will Robinson you're talking about.

I'm sorry, I'm old school. The first one is the only one I know about. The other ones didn't catch my eye.

Back