On-board Video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kira_Majeric

Reaction score
How many of you take on-board videos of their launches?

I find I am fascinated by on-board videos. This is one my boyfriend's taken in 09 at XPRS.

[YOUTUBE]9xm__5dwxwc[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
The link to your video isn't working for me.

I seldom launch a large rocket without a camera onboard. And, thanks to some new, smaller, cameras, I often fly them on small rockets, too.

A few of my onboard videos are at:

Onboard Videos

More of my videos are on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/jadebox

-- Roger

If fixed your YouTube link.

The trick is that you don't want to post the whole YouTube URL when you use the YouTube button. You just want the Video ID.

In your case, it was 9xm__5dwxwc

The whole URL looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xm__5dwxwc

So, it's just the part after the "v="

-Kevin

It says "chase rocket", what is it chasing??

It was being chased by the one launched right after it. That's quite a video!

My only video, can't compare to the ones you guys had. Only thing going for it is as an instructional video in how motors can ignite incorrectly, causing short delays :confused2:
[YOUTUBE]ssUuS8CM1lU[/YOUTUBE]

It was being chased by the one launched right after it. That's quite a video!

My only video, can't compare to the ones you guys had. Only thing going for it is as an instructional video in how motors can ignite incorrectly, causing short delays :confused2:

I think I have seen this one. Did you take it with the keychain cam that everyone is talking about?? I just ordered one of those. ^_^

My boyfriend pulled out one of his older DVDs last night. It is from Giant Leap Rocketry, called "On-board Video". It is amazing the technology advancement in the last 10 years. These videos were with camcorders installed into the rockets, and now we use keychains taped to the rockets. ^_^ I love that!

Yeah, the keychain cams have made a huge difference. Putting a $120 (cheap) video camera that weighs a pound or so which needs at least 3" in diameter of space in an ebay (and sometimes requires a mirror for that downward look) is a whole lot different than slapping on a $20 keychain cam that weighs an ounce or so already pointed in the right direction.

Price and size were always what kept me from putting any cameras in any of my rockets. My latest flight went into the drink and I was more worried about the alt than the camera. I think both will survive. I have several videos with that camera:

www.youtube.com/davetherocketguy

Here's another one from one of our club members:

[YOUTUBE]qoq17R59TnI[/YOUTUBE]

Here is mine from 2006.

[YOUTUBE]0lDiXR31Syo[/YOUTUBE]

This was a 4" PML Endeavour with a Aiptek DVM 5100 camera.

Here's my first video. It's a 4.5" rocket with an N1600 motor and a Flip video camera. I'd like to see if tabs on the fins will take the spin out of the flight.

[YOUTUBE]F_L0JTEfSwc[/YOUTUBE]

Tony

Last edited:
I'm deeply fascinated with the idea of onboard video. Which is why I too, just ordered one of the keychain cams.

I also am getting ready to start a 6 inch diameter upscale estes alpha. It will be dual deploy and I will have a mounting rig in the Ebay to hold my Nikon. I will also put a mirror hood on the outside. Adds a weird little piece onto the rocket, but in turn I get good HD video of the liftoff.

Essentially it is a simplified version of Vern's module on starfire, which can be found here. I won't be using the fancy wiring, I'll just turn the camera on, press record and stick it in the payload bay. I'll cut the walking to the pad out of the video.

I built it around the Loki 76/3600 case that it will push it to over 6K with the standard L motor. That however will be a ways off. First we are going to fly it on a J350 for my Dad's level 2 cert.

I'm deeply fascinated with the idea of onboard video. Which is why I too, just ordered one of the keychain cams.

I also am getting ready to start a 6 inch diameter upscale estes alpha. It will be dual deploy and I will have a mounting rig in the Ebay to hold my Nikon. I will also put a mirror hood on the outside. Adds a weird little piece onto the rocket, but in turn I get good HD video of the liftoff.

Essentially it is a simplified version of Vern's module on starfire, which can be found here. I won't be using the fancy wiring, I'll just turn the camera on, press record and stick it in the payload bay. I'll cut the walking to the pad out of the video.

I built it around the Loki 76/3600 case that it will push it to over 6K with the standard L motor. That however will be a ways off. First we are going to fly it on a J350 for my Dad's level 2 cert.

I think I need to make a camera pod as well. I wonder how the video would look of a night flight with a sparky motor.....

I like Vern's Rockets. ^_^ I can not remember if he flew Starfire last year at XPRS.

I just saw a video of a rocket which had a mirror that changed directions when the altimeter told it to. That made for a great video.

Last edited:
I think I need to make a camera pod as well. I wonder how the video would look of a night flight with a sparky motor.....

I like Vern's Rockets. ^_^ I can not remember if he flew Starfire last year at XPRS.

I just saw a video of a rocket which had a mirror that changed directions when the altimeter told it to. That made for a great video.

That's another project. This one probably won't be ready for XPRS. But I am going to build an upscale deuces wild, with a clear upper tube. Stuffed with blue and yellow EL wire to light it up for night flights. Two pro29 skidmarks would work beautifully.

We built a housing that we bolt onto the side of our larger projects; we call it the Birdhouse, because, well, it looks like a birdhouse... Totally self-contained with a BoosterVision setup.

This video contains footage shot with the original Birdhouse.

[YOUTUBE]73BqYu1__5M[/YOUTUBE]

I say "original," because, well, our second flight with it kinda flattened it...

-Kevin

Hmmm, how are y'all getting your video to show on TRF?

I don't think I'm doing something right.... :confused2:

When you're in the message editor, above the right corner of the message area are two buttons -- one for YouTube and another for Vimeo.

To host a YouTube link in your message, take your full YouTube URL (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZdVfxNfIBA) in your case, and grab the video id -- that's the string of spaghetti after the "v=". In this case, it's "rZdVfxNfIBA". Be sure to grab underscores, etc -- they're important.

Then, click the YouTube button and it will paste in the YouTube tags, giving you something that looks like this:

HTML:
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

In between those Youtube tags, you past your video ID, so you get something that looks like this:

HTML:
[YOUTUBE]rZdVfxNfIBA[/YOUTUBE]

The result?

This!

[YOUTUBE]rZdVfxNfIBA[/YOUTUBE]

-Kevin

Last edited:
That's another project. This one probably won't be ready for XPRS. But I am going to build an upscale deuces wild, with a clear upper tube. Stuffed with blue and yellow EL wire to light it up for night flights. Two pro29 skidmarks would work beautifully.

The Deuces Wild is a rocket my boyfriend wants for his b-day. This rocket sounds very cool. I love the night flights.

We built a housing that we bolt onto the side of our larger projects; we call it the Birdhouse, because, well, it looks like a birdhouse... Totally self-contained with a BoosterVision setup.

This video contains footage shot with the original Birdhouse.

I say "original," because, well, our second flight with it kinda flattened it...

-Kevin

My first response was: "Holy Crap! Scissor Lift!?!" ^_^
That is a great video.

Back