On-Board Camera

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewGil

I think I know what I am doing
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I understand the idea of adding a down camera to the side of a rocket and get a fancy shield around it. However, if I wanted to put a GoPro or a Run Cam 4k in my rocket. How would I go about doing so? Does it live in the AV Bay? Can it go in the booster behind a cover of some nature?

If you have enough space, you can integrate a split camera into the avionics bay and add a lense "faring" to the switch band. This one uses a RunCam Split 3.

Attachments

• PXL_20230104_034020180.jpg
    PXL_20230104_034020180.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20221130_031011075.jpg
    PXL_20221130_031011075.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Here's my RunCam2 4k installed onto the side of a 2.6" dia scratch built rocket. It works very well IMO. Only problem I've ever had was it stopped recording once when the separation charge fired at apogee.PXL_20230107_181427929.jpg

I've flown lots of rockets with outboard video cameras (both down and up looking), and offer up the below as one method to fly a camera contained internal to a rocket airframe. For this project I modified a BT-80 payload tube to internally contain a Go-Pro Hero3 (and another board-camera along with a video transmitter system). The cameras are both oriented to look-out horizontally during boost. The payload section is then designed to orient itself horizontally during descent under chute so that the cameras both view the ground, as shown in the below images.

P1000798.JPG
Internal payload structure showing the Go-Pro and the additional small black board camera lens next to it (video transmit system, battery, antenna, etc. are internal, not shown).

P1000799.JPG
Payload system inserted into the BT-80 airframe. Aperture for both cameras is covered by a curved piece of plexiglass that is epoxied to outside of airframe.

Payload section as it descends under chute. Cameras are oriented down (to ground) and about 15 degrees to one side.
Given the orientation of the Go-Pro, I do have to rotate the Go-Pro video image 90 degrees (post processing in video editor) during boost to make things look right.
P1000805 crop.jpg

If you have enough space, you can integrate a split camera into the avionics bay and add a lense "faring" to the switch band. This one uses a RunCam Split 3.
Are you willing to share the files for that Run Cam Split mount?

I've flown lots of rockets with outboard video cameras (both down and up looking), and offer up the below as one method to fly a camera contained internal to a rocket airframe. For this project I modified a BT-80 payload tube to internally contain a Go-Pro Hero3 (and another board-camera along with a video transmitter system). The cameras are both oriented to look-out horizontally during boost. The payload section is then designed to orient itself horizontally during descent under chute so that the cameras both view the ground, as shown in the below images.

View attachment 555504
Internal payload structure showing the Go-Pro and the additional small black board camera lens next to it (video transmit system, battery, antenna, etc. are internal, not shown).

View attachment 555506
Payload system inserted into the BT-80 airframe. Aperture for both cameras is covered by a curved piece of plexiglass that is epoxied to outside of airframe.

Payload section as it descends under chute. Cameras are oriented down (to ground) and about 15 degrees to one side.
Given the orientation of the Go-Pro, I do have to rotate the Go-Pro video image 90 degrees (post processing in video editor) during boost to make things look right.
View attachment 555512

Here is a short clip of a launch from a few years ago at NOVAAR's Great Meadows field. Rocket flew on a G80 to about 1000 ft. The video is from the Go-Pro Hero 3.
I edited the video down to just the boost and just a bit of the descent in order to upload.
View attachment Skunk, G80, very short.mp4

Additive Aerospace makes a nice mount for Runcams and possibly others. Check them out - he's a forum member and nice guy.

Sandy.
Yes - they have some nice camera shrouds, but nothing for the Run Cam Split line of cameras.

Got busy with work. I'll upload the newer version this weekend. The one on thingiverse is OK but the MK 2 is better. It includes a piece that reinforces the pretty weak RunCam Split lense connection.
Thanks!

Back