Older Rocketman Parachute Weight/Descent Rates

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a side note, the number refers to the standard size in inches, so a RC3 is 36", RC4 is 48, etc. At least that's my recollection of it. I used the 'insert data from picture' feature of Excel to convert that graphic into the table below. That is one of the most useful new Excel features introduced in a long time!

Tony

Text:
15fps20fps
R3C1.5 LBS2.5 LBS
R4C2 LBS3.5 LBS
R7C3.5 LBS8 LBS
R9C6 LBS12 LBS
R12C12.5 LBS20 LBS
R14C20 LBS35 LBS
R16C35 LBS45 LBS
R18C45 LBS65 LBS
R24C175 LBS200 LBS

Graphic:
1597245003158.png

Last edited:
As a side note, the number refers to the standard size in inches, so a RC3 is 36", RC4 is 48, etc. At least that's my recollection of it. I used the 'insert data from picture' feature of Excel to convert that graphic into the table below. That is one of the most useful new Excel features introduced in a long time!

Tony

Text:
15fps20fps
R3C1.5 LBS2.5 LBS
R4C2 LBS3.5 LBS
R7C3.5 LBS8 LBS
R9C6 LBS12 LBS
R12C12.5 LBS20 LBS
R14C20 LBS35 LBS
R16C35 LBS45 LBS
R18C45 LBS65 LBS
R24C175 LBS200 LBS

Graphic:
View attachment 427873
Would you extrapolate the rc values please. Not quite following the logic. Seem to be suffering from a bout of acalculia.

3:36
4:48
7:?
9:?

thanx

This seems to be a mystery. Is an R7 - 7' or 70" or 72"? R18 - 18' or 180"?
Here's what I have based on what Buddy told me at BALLS a couple of years ago:
1597332331382.png
The number in the chute size rather than being feet is the first digit of the size in inches, but the sizes are based on feet. Of course I could be remembering things incorrectly, but based on the chart above it seems to make sense. I think it was because they don't have the same descent rate as traditional chutes they did not want people thinking their 72" chute was equivalent to a regular 72" chute.

Tony

Last edited:
Here's what I have based on what Buddy told me at BALLS a couple of years ago:
View attachment 428010
The number in the chute size rather than being feet is the first digit of the size in inches, but the sizes are based on feet. Of course I could be remembering things incorrectly, but based on the chart above it seems to make sense. I think it was because they don't have the same descent rate as traditional chutes they did not want people thinking their 72" chute was equivalent to a regular 72" chute.

Tony
Thanks Tony. That makes sense because it doesn't make sense. :)

Tony

Maybe my version of Excel is outdated, I'm not able to insert data from picture which is a bummer.

Maybe my version of Excel is outdated, I'm not able to insert data from picture which is a bummer.
I have the MS Office subscription. (Used be to called Office 365). After looking around online, it looks like the feature is available for Android, iOS, and MacOS, but not for Windows. I have both a Mac and Windows laptop and confirmed it's only on the Mac version of the app, at least as of now. It looks like it was available on mobile first, and now MacOS. I have to believe it will eventually make it's way to Windows, as it's such a useful feature. I've found it easier to take screenshots of tables on webpages, crop them to the area I want, and then use the insert data feature, instead of trying to copy the table text and use that directly.

Tony

under the dropdown menu that icon is labeled "Data from Picture" (on the Insert tab)
Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 11.03.51 AM.png

Back