Old TV shows that make you cringe - or worse

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't watch TV much anymore I stopped mostly in the early 90's, maybe average a few hours a month. I will get caught watching History or the Military channel from time to time. I cant even sit through a movie any more unless its at a theater. I got better things to do.

TA

If we're changing gears to good shows....

Big Bang Theory
The Newsroom (HBO, excellent!)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
Sons of Anarchy
Dr Who (BBC America)
Modern Family

Just a few of my regulars in my DVR Timers......I also watch alot of Discovery, Science, Nat Geo, Smithsonian, NASA, History, H2, Military, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax.....

There's alot of good stuff on TV if you know where to find it......I also stream alot from Netflix and Hulu+....rent from iTunes......I'm pretty much 100% digital and stream everything. I have s Blurry but it hasn't been hooked up in 3 years. My content comes from DirecTV, Xbox360 and Apple TV2, all HD.

Last edited:
Not having had cable or satellite TV since 2003 it is amazing how many of the shows people are mentioning here I have never seen an episode of.

The history of “Lost In Space” is actually pretty sad. It began as a straight-up science fiction action series wherein Doctor Smith was an intelligent and competent villain and the robot was a ROBOT!!

It was only after “Batman” aired and drew higher ratings, that the producers of “LIS” decided to emulate the campiness of “Batman” that things went to crap for “Lost In Space. If you ever get a chance to see some of the early B&W episodes you would think they came from an entirely different show.

And don’t get me started on “Starlost”.

Yikes!! I just read where it has been TWENTY YEARS since “Cheers” went off the air.

God I’m getting old.

Not having had cable or satellite TV since 2003 it is amazing how many of the shows people are mentioning here I have never seen an episode of.

The history of “Lost In Space” is actually pretty sad. It began as a straight-up science fiction action series wherein Doctor Smith was an intelligent and competent villain and the robot was a ROBOT!!

It was only after “Batman” aired and drew higher ratings, that the producers of “LIS” decided to emulate the campiness of “Batman” that things went to crap for “Lost In Space. If you ever get a chance to see some of the early B&W episodes you would think they came from an entirely different show.

And don’t get me started on “Starlost”.

LIS was one of my favorites as a kid. I bought the complete set on DVD about 10 years ago and watched in 2 marathon sessions. I was horrified. It was not what I remembered at all. The one thing that did excel was the theme from the 3rd season. I remembered it from back then and still think its great.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants were all shows that started off very promising and then went into the toilet. Irwin Allen had a history of turning his classy shows into complete and utter crap.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants were all shows that started off very promising and then went into the toilet. Irwin Allen had a history of turning his classy shows into complete and utter crap.

Or, in the case of Voyage - what I like to call "Cruddy Rubber Monster Suit of the Week"

This is kinda funny. A friend just gave me a now 3rd hand CRT TV. It's Immense, I don't know thw brand or nothing except it works excellent. I hope so because it weighs more than a refergerator! My right leg just about checked out on me. I still have to get it up on a stand. I was thinking my speaker cab but I don't think having 2 200 watt speakers that close to a picture tube would be a good idea. I have an old convertable handcart that has 4 wheels for use as a platform cart, that might just work. I'll be on the converter box for now. Don't think I want cable, don't watch TV now anyway so all I want it for is sports, football, basketball, raceing, stuff like that. I'm sure I'll still be spending most of my time on the computer.

But. boy, it's a BIG screen CRT

Last edited:

That scene is hilarious; well crafted in the writing and the acting and as a full scene, it could be the best ever. However, the bit in this video from about 30 seconds to 45 seconds is one of the funniest things I ever saw on TV that was missed by most of the live studio audience.

As to the original intent of the thread, there are far too many shows that are now looked back on and don't hold up and many more that were dreck from the beginning. I'd rather dwell on what nuggets of gold could be panned out of the river of "vast wasteland".

Last edited:
AKA.... Voyage to the Bottom of the Barrel

Voyage to the Bottom of the Toilet Bowl! The first season (in glorious black and white!) had quite a bit of Cold War spy intrigue, then progressively degenerated into 'Monster of the Week'. Ditto with The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - the first and second seasons were pretty good, but degenerated into silly Batman-like camp by the third season; the producers tried to get it back to a more serious tone in the fourth season but the network pulled the plug. Guess what replaced MFU in its time slot... Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In!

Coming to a MeTV station near you this fall is The Love Boat, Gilligan's Island and F Troop!

Coming to a MeTV station near you this fall is The Love Boat, Gilligan's Island and F Troop!

Heard on NPR yesterday that the "Love Boat" (the actual ship that the series was filmed on) made its last voyage and is headed to - if I remember correctly - Turkey to be turned into scrap. They said the last few voyages weren't a very pretty picture, and that the pool had been shut down for quite a while before the last voyage.

All you can say about “F-Troop” can be summed up in three words; Jane Angelica Thrift.

Any 1980s sitcom with smart teens - where the teens are clever and the adults are made to look like idiots.
Too many sitcoms start on a high note and progressively get worse.

I turn off the set when any celebrity (who thinks they are funny) tries to tell a joke or deliver a clever line.
Kathy Lee Gifford is a channel changer.
Where's my rubber brick?

That is every Disney and Nickelodian Show nowadays. My 12 yr. old Son used to watch that Crap. It's banned from my House now.

Back