Old Rocketeers, losing your touch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcp

Reaction score
Yes, I mean literally. My fingertips had become increasingly numb for several years, and it was becoming difficult to manipulate small parts, screws, nuts, etc. I'd always thought Carpal Tunnel was associated with pain, but the doctor finally mentioned that the loss of feeling could be CTS. Bing, EMG test confirmed it. One afternoon off work for the surgery (back the next day), and the feeling started returning almost immediately. A week later it's more like mild 'pins & needles'; like you get after your arm has 'fallen asleep' after laying on it wrong. Only difficulty was a loss of kung fu grip for awhile (and there may be some slight permanent loss of grip strength). Anyway, if you've lost your touch, I highly recommend it.

Oh, my wife had CT surgery about 20 years ago. Much pain and extended recovery. They do it differently now. Mine was 14 minutes total for both hands.

And oh, again. That EMG test is the Electromyogram, with emphasis on the 'electro' part. It was fascinating as the doctor explained how he was measuring the time of flight of the nerves (much like we do at work looking at Signal Integrity). Yes it's a shock. I built 'toys' in high school that gave a bigger kick. YMMV.

Gary

Last edited:
Yes, I mean literally. My fingertips had become increasingly numb for several years, and it was becoming difficult to manipulate small parts, screws, nuts, etc....

Glad to hear you are on the mend ! :)

Carpel Tunnel, a stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, a blood clot, diabetes and many other things can cause discomfort, pain or numbness...

The take away is - Listen to your body, and when something isn't right >>> Get to the doctor!.

Carpel tunnel in both hands and to top it all off diabetic neuropathy that's move into my hands. It doesn't matter about the CT, no surgery in the world will fix nerve damage caused by diabetes :p

Carpel tunnel in both hands and to top it all off diabetic neuropathy that's move into my hands. It doesn't matter about the CT, no surgery in the world will fix nerve damage caused by diabetes :p

I thought it was neuropathy until I finally realized it wasn't affecting my little fingers. I'd touch a little finger with the opposite index finger, and not being able to localize the feeling, assumed that both were numb.

Heh, I'm a medical marvel :) The CT affects the lower parts of my hands, little finger and half way around on my ring finger split right down the middle. I know it's neuropathy for the rest, it's gotten my feet. Most people the nerves die and there's no feeling at all. Of course, I'm the opposite, hyper sensitivity. I have not taken a step, for years, from the time I get up til bed without shoes, never...except for a shower and even then you feel every particle on a floor like a pin point, no fun. There are other's here in the same boat but I don't need the level of painkiller they are on....yet.

Sure wish I (or anyone else) could provide some relief for you guys. Makes you count your own blessings...and alerts you that something is coming your way soon enough.

Losing my touch meant something completely different to me when I read the thread's title but then again I've lost my mind in rocketry. Money going up in smoke! Literally.

Glad to hear the surgery has helped, Gary.

Dave, sorry about the neuropathy thing. I have a bit of it in my feet and it's not diabetes related. Can't imagine what it would be like to have it in my hands.

I had both hands done back in January. Best thing ever! Worst part was the tests to determine the CTS. I don't like getting shocked. I feel like new now. For me, there was extreme pain in the night and I couldn't do delicate tasks in the day.
-Ken

In my case they are saying Bergers , Im a smoker and having a really tough time letting them go, even though the evidence of its effects are starting to show. It starter last year with a couple of fingers , they gave me meds that helped until te weather started to change again this year, now its also big toe on right foot and a lump on the bottom of that same foot. See what Doc says next week, but I know it no more smokes to start with.

...it's neuropathy for the rest, it's gotten my feet. Most people the nerves die and there's no feeling at all. Of course, I'm the opposite, hyper sensitivity. I have not taken a step, for years, from the time I get up til bed without shoes, never...except for a shower and even then you feel every particle on a floor like a pin point, no fun. There are other's here in the same boat but I don't need the level of painkiller they are on....yet.

I'm with you on the feet too. Except for a very few occasions (weddings, deep snow), I haven't worn shoes in 20 years; sandals only. And slippers always in the house. Have you tried Lyrica? I tried it for a month last year and it seemed to help, but not enough to justify the $$$.

Yes, I mean literally. My fingertips had become increasingly numb for several years, and it was becoming difficult to manipulate small parts, screws, nuts, etc. I'd always thought Carpal Tunnel was associated with pain, but the doctor finally mentioned that the loss of feeling could be CTS. Bing, EMG test confirmed it. One afternoon off work for the surgery (back the next day), and the feeling started returning almost immediately. A week later it's more like mild 'pins & needles'; like you get after your arm has 'fallen asleep' after laying on it wrong. Only difficulty was a loss of kung fu grip for awhile (and there may be some slight permanent loss of grip strength). Anyway, if you've lost your touch, I highly recommend it.

Oh, my wife had CT surgery about 20 years ago. Much pain and extended recovery. They do it differently now. Mine was 14 minutes total for both hands.

And oh, again. That EMG test is the Electromyogram, with emphasis on the 'electro' part. It was fascinating as the doctor explained how he was measuring the time of flight of the nerves (much like we do at work looking at Signal Integrity). Yes it's a shock. I built 'toys' in high school that gave a bigger kick. YMMV.

Gary

I was getting CTS and having a lot of tingling in my hands, and my chiropractor showed me some hand exercises that relieve the symptoms and basically alleviate the problems WITHOUT surgery.

I'm not a fan of doctors (have to be practically carried in feet-first to see one) and don't like getting cut on AT ALL, so any time I can get some results WITHOUT a doc being involved, so much the better...

Basically, the exercises can be done anywhere, anytime... it involves hyper-extension of the wrist joint coupled with stretching of the tendons and tissues compressing the nerves that lead to CTS...

How it's done, is basically, place your fingertips against a solid flat vertical surface (wall, etc, something that won't move) below your chest/shoulder level, fingertips up, and then press your palms toward the wall gently... (your palms shouldn't touch the wall or object) make sure you let your wrists go limp as you push gently-- you should feel the pressure of the pushing on your fingertips, and you'll feel the stretching in your wrists and forearms... Hold the gentle pressure for a ten-count.

Then let your wrists hang loose, and put the TOPS of your hands against the object, slightly higher, and gently push against the tops of your hands against the object, like your trying to push the tops of your wrists up against the object... (the top of your wrist shouldn't actually touch it, but you should feel the pressure on the top of your hand near the knuckles, and the extension of your upper forearm muscles and hyperextension of the wrist (palms toward you). Hold gentle but steady pressure for the ten count.

Repeat these steps 2-3 times, every day or as needed.

Works for me and anytime I don't have to get cut (and spend money), so much the better IMHO...

Later! OL JR :)

Hey, glad you were able to get it fixed, I wasn't aware CT could cause that, mine only had the pain. Mine's so far been manageable by bringing in my own decent ergonomic computer setup to work, and stretches similar to luke. Now the thumb arthritis, that's going to need surgery eventually. Makes some building tasks very difficult.

-Another Old Rocketeer

I'm with you on the feet too. Except for a very few occasions (weddings, deep snow), I haven't worn shoes in 20 years; sandals only. And slippers always in the house. Have you tried Lyrica? I tried it for a month last year and it seemed to help, but not enough to justify the $$$.

It knocks me out cold :p Doc's got me on this crap called GabaPentan. I looked it up....it's an anti-spasmodic, anti-depressant, hormone therapy replacement replacement...and semi-painkiller. Or as one site called it; an anti-depressant with some painkilling properties. I was on Tramadol and next time I see him I'm going to insist that I get back on it. I could function without pain, the GabaPentan only really works if I'm off my feet. There are times when I go shopping I'm limping when I'm done. Some of the guys here have said they are getting Oxycontin or the like. I'm not that bad off...yet, so 3 100mg Tramadol per day would make me a happy man plus I could stand to stand to fly rockets.

Now, if I could only get pass my needlephobia I could see my doctor....

I had Gabapentin for a nerve problem that developed in my left leg after an injury. It worked well but any changes too almost a month to be noticeable. I have to say though that I was glad to be off it. Now I just have numbness on part of the bottom of my foot and every now and again I get the crazy nerve spasm thing. I've gotten used to it. It was really bad right after the injury. Random lightning bolts blasting up my leg. Not a lot of fun. I'm lucky though because it got better to the point where I am now. I had to get over needle issues, my blood gets tested pretty often. I'm taking rat poison as an anticoagulent.

My hands and fingers are still all good but my skills were lacking when I started back into this recently. I found myself a little bull fingered. Building a Mini Bomarc helped!

In Bikram Yoga, there is one particular posture that is supposed to be good for CTS. It's called the Locust Pose, and the setup to the posture has you laying on your stomach, with your arms underneath your body in a straight position, elbows straight, palms facing down, like you are gripping the floor not your stomach, arms close together so your little fingers touch, and fingers spread wide. The posture moves forward from that starting position, and I'm not going to describe the whole thing. Just getting into the starting position the first few times is painful, with a lot of stretching through the forearms and wrists, but soon it is very easy to do. This posture is of 26 done in sequence in a heated room, so I can't say for sure if it would be helpful to do it in isolation without the earlier warm up, so if you are interested, you should take a class.

And now, just to solidify my stereotypical California Froot-Loop status, I'm going to add to my suggestion that CTS patients try Yoga by suggesting neuropathy patients investigate Cannabis! I believe certain forms of neuropathy are thought to be helped by cannabis --- ask a professional.

Yea! Yoga and weed! Don't panic --- it's organic!

In Bikram Yoga, there is one particular posture that is supposed to be good for CTS. It's called the Locust Pose, and the setup to the posture has you laying on your stomach, with your arms underneath your body in a straight position, elbows straight, palms facing down, like you are gripping the floor not your stomach, arms close together so your little fingers touch, and fingers spread wide. The posture moves forward from that starting position, and I'm not going to describe the whole thing. Just getting into the starting position the first few times is painful, with a lot of stretching through the forearms and wrists, but soon it is very easy to do. This posture is of 26 done in sequence in a heated room, so I can't say for sure if it would be helpful to do it in isolation without the earlier warm up, so if you are interested, you should take a class.

And now, just to solidify my stereotypical California Froot-Loop status, I'm going to add to my suggestion that CTS patients try Yoga by suggesting neuropathy patients investigate Cannabis! I believe certain forms of neuropathy are thought to be helped by cannabis --- ask a professional.

Yea! Yoga and weed! Don't panic --- it's organic!

When my pittance of an inheritance comes in I'm on my way to Brookings, Oregon to fish and.....build....rockets, yeah, rockets, man...ooooooh something shiny!!!....where's the Doritos?....

When my pittance of an inheritance comes in I'm on my way to Brookings, Oregon to fish and.....build....rockets, yeah, rockets, man...ooooooh something shiny!!!....where's the Doritos?....

Cool! You'll be near the mighty Rogue River. We spent a week in Gold Beach last summer. I'm not sure I know exactly what you are alluding too :wink:, but we ate a pie a day for a week. It's beautiful there. They had some great salmon in the fisherman's co-op, but catching your own is even better!

Cool! You'll be near the mighty Rogue River. We spent a week in Gold Beach last summer. I'm not sure I know exactly what you are alluding too :wink:, but we ate a pie a day for a week. It's beautiful there. They had some great salmon in the fisherman's co-op, but catching your own is even better!

I plan on standing on the wharf's with my fishing gear looking pitiful to get boat rides out to fish. If that doesn't work there's always fishing from the shore :)

Latest posts

Back