old reloads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kidwoosh

Reaction score
Hi to all, I was going through a box of 18mm Aerotech reloads that were bought from an estate sale of sorts.Although the packages have never been opened,it is obvious to see that several of the loads have become deformed and opened up at the slot.Is there any way to warm or soften these?Or are they ammo for the trash? Thanks in advance to all that reply.

Kurt Juergens

can you post a picture of the deformed ones?

mostly for old reloads you just have to sand the oxidation off so they will light reliably.

Hello Cliff, Thanks for taking the time to answer.I own a digital camera,but I've had difficulty getting the software to work correctly.My PC has windows ME OS.Most people have told me to get rid of it and upgrade to system that works.If you can picture it,the reloads look like a pac man.Instead of the slot being a constant dimention,the gap gets larger as it moves out from the center.I haven't opened one yet,but they certainly will not fit into the casing without being squished back to round.I fear they might break.I'll try to correct my problems with the camera and get a picture up soon.

I would sort of think that any deformation of the propellant slugs would be self-corrected once it is loaded into the liner and casing. The propellant is about as hard as a rubber eraser after all.

I'm sure that you are right,but being new to RMS systems,I'm timid to try squishing one to get it in the case.Has anybody ever broken a reload? I don't want to open the bag until I have an actual use for it as I heard it can have a negative effect.Is this true,or just mis-information? Thanks,Kurt J.

Back