Old MPC Wadding Swatch, How is is Used?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Recently I have built several old MPC kits. These kits came with a swatch of what I assume is fiberglass wadding. There is no information in the instructions that describes how to use this materiel.
My question is, what is the proper use for this type of wadding?

Please do not use the fiberglass wadding. It remains in the environment and does not decay like the treated paper Estes sells, fireproofed crepe paper, or cellulose "dog barf". Our section flies from an active cattle pasture and we strive not to leave anything behind that would harm the beasties if they ate it.
Save the fiberglass as a collectable or dispose of properly.

+1 if its not a vegetable or paper product dont use it as wadding. Fireproof materials like Nomex can be used as they are attached to the recovery system and reused.

They did intend it to be used as wadding. I guess it was cheaper to use than to develop a machine to flameproof toilet paper like Vern Estes made.

The MPC wadding did not work very well, anyway. With so much air between the fibers, It did not tend to act like a piston to help push the chute out like most other wadding does. Sorta kinda worked like a re-useable baffle in that sense (but not a very good baffle).

I say most wadding acts like a piston, as I HATE Dog Barf which does NOT help to push the chute out, and lets hot gases blow past it unless you put in a crap-load of way more than sensible. And then if you put in a crap-load it can JAM.

Also, IIRC only the MPC kits had any wadding, not the engine packs. So if your rocket worked well enough to survive a few flights you were out of the MPC wadding and had to use something else anyway.

I recall never using the wadding that came with MPC kits. I always threw it away and continued using Estes'.

Back