Old Man ... New Beginning

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robertv6

Reaction score
I flew Estes Rockets as a kidlet. A bit older now, Apollo 50th Anniversary, i got the itch again.
I see Rocketry has come a long way...High powered rockets....This now is really cool!
I see the various rocket associations...NAR, Tripoli. Im wondering which i should join?
High powered is where my interest lay. I wish to immerse myself into the path to fly high powered rockets.
Ive looked at both sites, is one better...or more in tune with where i wish to advance?
Simplistic post, yet there are no rocket clubs in Mississippi....
Thanks in advance!
Robert

Both organizations are great!

NAR retains its low power competition emphasis, but it also has high power certification authority. Bi-monthly magazine, clubs all over the country, 2 yearly national conventions (NARCon, and NARAM where competition finals happen), and a National Sport Launch.

Tripoli was the original recognized high power organization, and its rules and structure allow for flying "research motors" (self formulated, non -commercial, with a few restrictions). Also has clubs all over the country, and It's two big events are the LDRS national launch, and BALLS for extreme/amateur projects out in the black rock desert.

Both carry insurance for org members launching within the safety guidelines (may we never need it). Both recognize certifications from the other organization as well, so you can fly at any waivered launch run under NAR or TRA rules.

Both have experienced and friendly people to chat with and learn from, both have grouchy curmudgeons that .....well, no need to go there.

Whichever you pick, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Nytrunner has it.

...yet there are no rocket clubs in Mississippi....
Thanks in advance!
Robert

I had to check...

https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocketry-clubs-near-jackson-mississippi-7017.html

The places where clubs fly high power rockets are often very far away from their mailing addresses. It might be worth your time to call around to the clubs in neighboring states, to find out which launch site is closest to where you live.

And there are big destination launches that draw fliers from all over.

As Nytrunner says, NAR and TRA have reciprocal agreements about certifications, so NAR members can fly at TRA events and vice-versa. Some other forum member will likely be able to provide details on if and when you must have a certification from one or the other organization.

Last edited:
If budget allows, join both! If not, definitely join the one with a section nearest you. Welcome to the fever. :cool:

Welcome back Robert!

I was in the same situation earlier this year as I flew Estes and Centuri way back in the late 70's/early 80's. Caught the itch too after watching several launches on Youtube. And yea, technology's advanced a bit since then.

I've rejoined the NAR and joined Tripoli. If you ever come to the Dayton, Ohio area, come fly with us.

And I can certify that Scott is an old man so there would be two of you at one of our launches.

Mid-South rocketry Club flies out of Memphis once a month weather permitting and they are set up for high-power

Thanks guys! I think to start with a large med power kit, see how it goes. I can launch locally...if the fever persists, well I won’t make a guitar analogy!
Again...thank you!

Back