"Old" Estes Geo-Sat LV Build Thread

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by BSNW, Dec 27, 2018.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 10, 2019 #31

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

Nope it has not flown yet. Waiting for a good weather day to meet up with a launch day. Hoping to go with an E12 on its first flight.
    Andrew

2. Feb 11, 2019 #32

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

3. Mar 11, 2019 #33

tenspeed

tenspeed

tenspeed

Have you flown this yet?

4. Mar 12, 2019 #34

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

Hey Tenspeed-
    Been waiting on the weather. It looks promising for this weekend though! I will for sure post any flight reports and or photos.
    Thanks!
    Andrew

5. Mar 17, 2019 #35

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

Well today was the day....finally! Since there was not a drop of wind to speak of....I went with the D12-3. I used the flight nose/payload. Once I got to the field, I realized none of my smallest chute would work...too big! So I went with the plastic chutes from Estes. It worked great.
    My video taking skills positively SUCK. it is almost not work posting. Below is the pre-launch photo "on the pad". I will try and post the launch video when I can. The flight was very nice! and the delay was near perfect. I did pop a fin on landing but the break was such that it was an easy fix that you almost cant tell!

IMG_1931.JPG

6. Mar 18, 2019 #36

tenspeed

tenspeed

tenspeed

That really looks sharp. Not only do I like the rocket but you have a nice field. Do you have an estimate on altitude? Did you add any nose weight to compensate for the larger engine?

7. Mar 18, 2019 #37

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

Hey Tenspeed-
    I did not add any nose weight. The reason for the other top was dues to the 3D printed satellite in the clear nose was way to heavy. If anything, i wanted less weight in the nose. The D12-3 got it up there....I would say a good 700 feet. It took a bit of time to float down. If I do an E12....it will really go!
    The field is close to my home. I approached the farmer and he lets me launch there anytime. A good guy...I am spoiled!
    Andrew

8. Mar 18, 2019 #38

SavPrato

SavPrato

SavPrato

Nice build. I made mine a 3 motor bird with ā€œCā€ engines on the outboards. Will fly it once the weather improves in Toronto.

9. Mar 18, 2019 #39

gldknght

gldknght

gldknght

Spray cans absolutely suck at getting paint into tight nooks and crannies. The best way to paint these areas is with an airbrush if you have one, or use the spray cans to paint before assembly, which is not a great option, requiring repainting after assembly to cover the glue fillets.