Old AMW propellant

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron Anderson

Reaction score
I have zero fear about flying old AP, but a friend gave me an AMW 54mm K1130BB and the grains are rock hard. I've never flown AMW before so I don't know what right looks like.

The increased surface hardness is not a surprise; the thing that makes the flame blue also encourages the binder to react with the surrounding air, leading to faster aging. Blue Thunder has a similar problem, though to a lesser extent (it's a slightly different thing).

I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. I flew an N4000 from 2002 at Balls last weekend. Lit easy, smoked great. Good luck.

Just make sure you have the correct liner. The blue requires a phenolic liner NOT PAPER. Blue Baboon burns way too hot for the paper. My wife discovered this on a J480 at LDRS.

The paper liners AMW used were rather thick and actually resembled body tubes (had a rather pronounced spiral on the outside). If it is very thin, do this: tap on it with something hard. If the sound is dull, it is indeed paper. If it is rather sharp sounding it is phenolic. Also, the phenolic one I have do not have a pronounced spiral. Also, Paul Robinson recommended the orange silicone O-rings for the Nozzle end. Not necessary, and I've flown several with the standard black Buna-N. Just a belt & suspenders sort of thing.

When you do fly it, get ready for a thrill. The blue is brilliant and it hits like a pile driver.

Do you have the correct hardware?

The paper liners AMW used were rather thick and actually resembled body tubes (had a rather pronounced spiral on the outside). If it is very thin, do this: tap on it with something hard. If the sound is dull, it is indeed paper. If it is rather sharp sounding it is phenolic. Also, the phenolic one I have do not have a pronounced spiral. Also, Paul Robinson recommended the orange silicone O-rings for the Nozzle end. Not necessary, and I've flown several with the standard black Buna-N. Just a belt & suspenders sort of thing.

When you do fly it, get ready for a thrill. The blue is brilliant and it hits like a pile driver.

Do you have the correct hardware?

Hardware...unknown. I'll check the liner again when I get home but I'm fairly certain it's paper.

I was gifted a 54mm case. Not sure if it is AMW or Kosdon, but it is snap ring case. I have yet to get it apart - it was flown 10 years ago and left to age.

If you know the size, McMaster-Carr has the o-ring. All types and sizes, cheap and fast.

I don't know the sizes. I met Frank Kosdon a few times at launches when I was 14 - I was flying 29mm Hs and thought I was the coolest guy on the planet and never dreamed of flying TRM 38 or, dare I say, 54mm. AMW was an entirely different league. Ive been an Aerotech flyer for all of my life, I've only recently started flying CTI.

AMW's website has the o-rings and snap rings, but I'm sure I could source them for half the price elsewhere.

If AMW's site lists the dash size, that's all you need to know. It should be the same for all cases/reloads in a size. If I had some 54mm AMW stuff I'd measure mine but I only have 75mm AMW. Check the site, instructions or maybe ask around.

If AMW's site lists the dash size, that's all you need to know. It should be the same for all cases/reloads in a size. If I had some 54mm AMW stuff I'd measure mine but I only have 75mm AMW. Check the site, instructions or maybe ask around.

Performance Hobbies had everything I needed. Decent price too.

In what rocket? Pics? :)
Demon 6 (4 fins, natch) :) Pics in the Balls thread.

BTW, on the topic of o-rings: Buna-N or Silicone will both get fried on the nozzle from the heat soakback with high-output loads--Paul and Frank liked the silicone ones because they were easier to get into the case. If you've got Buna o-rings, feel free to use 'em.

Demon 6 (4 fins, natch) :) Pics in the Balls thread.

BTW, on the topic of o-rings: Buna-N or Silicone will both get fried on the nozzle from the heat soakback with high-output loads--Paul and Frank liked the silicone ones because they were easier to get into the case. If you've got Buna o-rings, feel free to use 'em.

The silicone o-ring on the forward closure was pristine. Looked and felt new. The nozzle silicone o-ring looked good but was destroyed when I tried to move it. It fell apart and crumbled.

I'm trying to find somewhere that sells AMW 54mm 2550 now.

I flew a K 475 WW 54 mm x 1400 last month, It worked perfectly!
I have a few K 555's, a K 950, and an L 600 Red Rhino left.
Might even have some more stashed away somewhere...
Spiral wound Phenolic liners do work. As long as there is phenolic in it. I've seen some, more paper than phenolic.

Thus spake he who would know. I always assumed there was a heat advantage and I have been fussy about it. Silly me...

I use the orange silicone ones on the nozzles and Burna-N on the forward closures.
For the 38 mm I use only burna-N

Nice flight! I love Blue Baboon :)

I was afraid it was going to CATO after the long chuff, but once it came up to power, it screamed off the pad.

It was everything I wanted it to be! But now I'm having a hard time finding reloads for a 2550 case. Anyone have a line on good AMW or AMW compatible reloads?

Back