Ok...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewart32

Reaction score
So I've got my HPR kit and two part expoy. How do I apply the mixed epoxy to the parts. I accustomed to the ole Elmers squeeze bottle.

What's a good applicator, scrap balsa sticks?

thanks

j

Scrap balsa works. I use flat toothpicks for small areas, or sometimes popsicle sticks as well. If you're fiberglassing airframes, get a paint brush.

Loopy

Balsa sticks, popsicle sticks, ect. Or, you can buy disposable epoxy brushes. As far as the glue joints and fillets on the inside, don't worry about how they look. For external fillets, I mix enough to do two at a time. I use a craft stick which is smaller than popsicle sticks, and just kind of drop it into the fin/ bt joint, and spread it out evenly. Just as it starts to gel up, I dip my finger in alcohol, and shape/smooth them out.

Oh, I assume you are working on the V2?? Be sure on the tail cone, to rough up the areas where epoxy will go with at least 150 grit sand paper.

popsicle sticks, craft sticks, and balsa scrap all work well for places where you need to 'reach' a little farther

for run-of-the-mill stuff, I like Q-tips----they are cheap, hold a nice amount of liquid epoxy, and don't soak up much of it

Also for a place to mix the epoxy, I like to use a spiral bound notebook or legal pad for mixing small batches of epoxy. When you're done with the epoxy, just tear off a sheet or two (if it happened to soak through) & use again!

Legal pads (usually in packs of 3) & 200 popcicle sticks can be had for a buck each at your local "dollar store". You might even find 10 pack of latex gloves (you want to avoid contact with epoxy on your skin) there too!

HTH,

toothpicks, popsicle sticks,craft sticks all available at Michaels ...
I mix on scrap pieces of cardboard....... or get yourself some wax paper and mix on that..... and use nitrile gloves not latex......you may develop a sensitivity to both epoxy and latex....very bad.....

Originally posted by powderburner
I like Q-tips----they are cheap, hold a nice amount of liquid epoxy, and don't soak up much of it

I never thought of using Q-tips, excellent suggestion!

One other thing I do, especially if using anything more than 5 minute epoxy, is to tack things together with CA. Then, go back and do fillets with epoxy. Sure beats having to set there and hold it waiting on the epoxy to set.

I like to keep a couple packs of 3 x 5 notecards handy near my work area. I get the cheapest ones I can find (three-pack at the dollar store). They are thicker and stronger than paper and I don't have any problems with soak-through, or with picking up one corner and having the whole thing flop over. If you are really really cheap (like me) you can get three or four small batches of epoxy mixed on each card.

so...

one just kinda dribbles the epoxy into place with any hnady "tool"
or paint on the interior one with Q tips

and them smooth the exposed joint with the ole index? (dipt in alcohol). Sound simple enough....

thanks for the tips y'all!

can't wait to get started!

Stewart,

Wait a sec...what kind of epoxy?

Is it thin? Are you covering a large area?

I build wooden boats...lots of area to cover on the hull of a boat!

Use disposable foam brushes. Get the good ones...the cheap ones usually start to come apart before you finish.

Good ones have the wooden handle and are about $0.79 each...don't get the cheap bag of brushes for $1.

The foam brushed allow you to "carry" plenty of epoxy to the surface and smooth it out real nice.

sandman

For small batch mixing, I use post-it notes. I can move the epoxy where I need it.

For GP I use coffee stirrers. I use the end and if a quick-set dries. I snap it off and keep going. For medium jobs I liberate ketchup cups from fast food joints. I buy a burger & fries and help my self to 10 or so cups.

Flux brushes are good for coverage and they are a durn sight cheaper than epoxy brushes sold on hobby sites. BTW they are the same thing.

Mixing cups: I use some of those small "Solo" cups my wife got at Costco.
Stirring/application: Forster "Craft" sticks from Michaels. Bought a box of 1000, and have used about 50.
Gloves: vinyl painting gloves (not as skin-tight as latex, but just as functional) from Walmart - Just finished off a box of 100. They also work well for painting. Much cheaper than latex, too.

WW

Originally posted by Stewart32
So I've got my HPR kit and two part expoy. How do I apply the mixed epoxy to the parts. I accustomed to the ole Elmers squeeze bottle.

What's a good applicator, scrap balsa sticks?

thanks

j

I've been using bamboo skewers for mixing and application. They're 3/16" dia., very stiff, and they're pointed so you can get relatively fine application.

Best way I can foresee is a syringe, at least 10cc, preferably 20. I've also had good results with surface mount fins by dragging them through the glue itself (in a puddle, on a piece of paper), getting glue all along the root, putting it in place to get glue on the target, removing it and checking the placement, then adjusting if necessary and holding it in place.

I use pop-cicle sticks with one end cut square and mix in paper non-waxed paper cups.
One practice that I have learned from working with resin in my jewlery making is to mix in one cup and then pour the mixed resin or epoxy into another seperate cup (without scraping the cup) for application. The reason for this is to prevent any unmixed portion of resin or epoxy from contaminating the mix. Sometimes this can weaken the mixture's strength and/or finish.

Hope this helps. JP

I use plastic spoons both to apply and shape the fillet,,,
works really nice,the excess curls into the "bowl" of the spoon
avoid skin contact,,also avoid latex gloves
epoxy can soak thru the latex

Thanks for the tips...

think I'll just dive right in and give it a try

Back